|OT| How to Afford to build a new PC?

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Let's have a thread about how to actually afford to build a new PC. I know we have a thread about the hardware aspect but where many are probably struggling is the how to get the hardware.

So let's brainstorm, throw around tips and generally support each others dream of RGB lights and shiny new GPUs.

Personally I have barely enough money to eat each month so really have to start from zero. Anyone know good ways to earn money online?

Anyone tried to do stuff like fiver and such?

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Given that you're a photographer, I'd set up a ko-fi and advertise that. Or team up with local cosplayers.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Given that you're a photographer, I'd set up a ko-fi and advertise that. Or team up with local cosplayers.
Haha! I have a ko-fi but I never advertise, especially not for building a new PC, it's more for as you said my photography but I'm bad building an audience, my instagram game is pretty much dead.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
I've sold stuff, scrapped by, bought used, brought cheapest new stuff I could get and just lived with it when my 'rig' went to shit. I've gotten lucky and I've been given things but that's only happened once in 14 years of pc gaming. I'd like to tell you otherwise but buying new high end parts gave me the best experience.

In the USA, getting a last gen console really helps you save big time on both hardware and software, especially physical games. Now is a great time to get a PS4/XBO bc of cross gen games and huge backlogs.

Reactions: lashman
OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I've sold stuff, scrapped by, bought used, brought cheapest new stuff I could get and just lived with it when my 'rig' went to shit. I've gotten lucky and I've been given things but that's only happened once in 14 years of pc gaming. I'd like to tell you otherwise but buying new high end parts gave me the best experience.

In the USA, getting a last gen console really helps you save big time on both hardware and software, especially physical games. Now is a great time to get a PS4/XBO bc of cross gen games and huge backlogs.
Yeah all the PCs I've built through the years have been fresh ones and those have been the best. But beggars can't be choosers as they say. I'll try to save whatever way I can, if I can but I will still try to shoot for something that is worthwhile and not just something that barely runs anything.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Yeah all the PCs I've built through the years have been fresh ones and those have been the best. But beggars can't be choosers as they say. I'll try to save whatever way I can, if I can but I will still try to shoot for something that is worthwhile and not just something that barely runs anything.
I actually wrote up a long long reply detailing all of the different ways and types of parts I've bought. But long story short; a couple year old, solid mid range platform will do you far better than the least expensive new parts. Ryzen 1600 probably will treat you better in a few years than a new Ryzen 3200 or 3400G. Also, when upgrading your GPU, just save your money if its one game or something that could be solved by lowering settings or resolution. When you can't even launch a game, then you'll know.

Reactions: warp_
OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I actually wrote up a long long reply detailing all of the different ways and types of parts I've bought. But long story short; a couple year old, solid mid range platform will do you far better than the least expensive new parts. Ryzen 1600 probably will treat you better in a few years than a new Ryzen 3200 or 3400G. Also, when upgrading your GPU, just save your money if its one game or something that could be solved by lowering settings or resolution. When you can't even launch a game, then you'll know.
Well I'm gaming now on a few year old macbook pro, so yeah I can't run most games and I can run them then it's usually in something like 720p haha!

So yeah even a mid range PC would be a huge upgrade.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
i've been a midrange guy for all my pc life and it's been great. any time my pc is getting out of the game swapping a gpu with another midtier gpu has me back in there.

with am4 i bet that's even easier now. can go from ryzen 1600 to 3000 series for no real hassle for a cpu upgrade.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Well I'm gaming now on a few year old macbook pro, so yeah I can't run most games and I can run them then it's usually in something like 720p haha!

So yeah even a mid range PC would be a huge upgrade.
Hmmmm, you probably won't be down for this suggestion but.... Macs generally get good value on the second hand market......

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I have the money, but it's for my son, so yeah I probably don't have the money, actually. :pensive-face:

I probably should stop buying games for a year or so and start saving.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I've just been saving money since the whole COVID thing. I barely eat out, I've had 2 haircuts in the last 6 months, no movies, only really go to the grocery store, etc... It all adds up. Plus, as a Canadian I qualified for CERB even after I went back to work with reduced hours(I'm full time again now), so I was making an extra $500 every week from that. I've managed to save a couple grand now. Most of it is going to stay in savings, but I plan to use ~$2k to build a new PC next month.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I have the money, but it's for my son, so yeah I probably don't have the money, actually. :pensive-face:

I probably should stop buying games for a year or so and start saving.
Thats actually a good point, I should take every euro I usually spend on games and put it aside. Complete freeze on new games until I have a new PC.

Granted, I really don't spend much on games as it is, so would take a decade to save up haha.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Never heard of fiverr. A way to make some money when I'm on my PC during downtime at work would actually be pretty good. Even if it's a very small amount it doesn't matter, I'm already getting paid anyway. Not like I have a lot of downtime to begin with but some days can be slow.

I'm usually broke, last time I managed to buy a good PC brand new was in 2011. I've since replaced the GPU and PSU and increased the ram but all parts were used, fortunately they never gave me problems. I don't see myself spending money on my PC in the near future. I make just enough to live comfortably but the concept of disposable income has been a mirage most of the time.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I have friends who sell feet pics :p

in all seriousness, if I have things I don’t need. i sell those asap.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I might have an unorthodox idea:

Get a relative cheap system, with a descend free sync 1080p screen that allows you to play all the exotic genres you like to play.

Subscribe to Geforce Now and play the big AAA releases like Control and CP2077 through that. Nvidia will for sure upgrade their rigs sooner than later to RTX 3000. even upgrade to 1440p and 2160p streaming eventually.

In all seriousness: You'll get access to an RTX 3080 system and can enjoy Ray Tracing and Ultra settings all you want, without having to spend a fortune.
A reasonable r7 3700X, RTX 3080 based system will cost you around 1500€. Even at 15€/month that would be 8 years of subscriptions and those streaming rigs will be upgraded repeatedly in that period.

I know it's not the best option, but it is an option and great tech for exactly your use case.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
ISee That is a good suggestion! At least it's an option to have while I try to build a new PC.

I have a good screen already!:) I think why I also want to build a new PC is because my laptop has been through some shit with me and I'm scared it will give up and if it does I'm fucked. So sooner or later I need a proper computer and I have to start already my quest for it.

Reactions: ISee

fspm

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
Wait 20 years and you'll be able to ray trace in 64k on intel integrated gpu.