Support How to get shit done?

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I've been wondering how the hell do people get so much done? People seem to have time to game, work, be social and learn new things, all of which I want to do but seems like there is never really time to anything. So how do you do it? Please share good tips on how to be productive, how to be social online and such?

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
i'd like to know that as well, tbh ... i see people being productive as fuck and still have a life and even be active on social media

i imagine not being depressed all the time helps ... i guess?

Reactions: Crayon
OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
i'd like to know that as well, tbh ... i see people being productive as fuck and still have a life and even be active on social media

i imagine not being depressed all the time helps ... i guess?
Yeah I have the same issue.:/ I guess trying to "escape" constantly makes it hard to concentrate enough to actually get anywhere with stuff one wants to do.

FreakOrama

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
stitch.games
For me, regarding entertainment and learning, I mix them both.

When I want to eat and watch something, for example, I'd watch sometimes watch something that would provide me with a piece of knowledge from a design or business video. If I watch something like cartoons/anime or movies, I'd notice good things in it from animation style, art style, cinematography, story-telling, etc, and I'd hope to remember them while I'm doing something that's needs them.

So my two times of entertainment and learning is mixed into one, and when I'd be doing work, I'd try to apply what I've learned where I can.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Trying something drastic, I went and placed my computer in storage, so even if I wanted to use it, I can't get it out until in one week. XD So maybe now I will be little more productive with things like actually be out photographing or if I want to stay in a café the only thing I have to do is to write or learn to draw.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Trying something drastic, I went and placed my computer in storage, so even if I wanted to use it, I can't get it out until in one week. XD So maybe now I will be little more productive with things like actually be out photographing or if I want to stay in a café the only thing I have to do is to write or learn to draw.
good luck :) you can do it!

Reactions: Le Pertti

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Personally I've been most motivated by need.

When I had no social life, no girlfriend, etc I started to get extremely bored with and bummed out by video games. I couldn't even escape if I wanted to. I still had to push myself to improve my life, but I could tell deep down I needed a change. Basically I had to listen to my feelings and not let anything get in the way of doing the stuff I wanted to do. I think you'll probably have to not give in to a want to 'escape' and after that you will be able to make the changes you need.

In the end it rarely means I'm doing EVERYTHING at one time. A few things take priority at a time.

TheVectronic

The Wondering Scribe
Oct 31, 2018
Puerto Rico
I've been wondering how the hell do people get so much done? People seem to have time to game, work, be social and learn new things, all of which I want to do but seems like there is never really time to anything. So how do you do it? Please share good tips on how to be productive, how to be social online and such?
Interest is key,. To identify it, try looking out for things that you may or may not like. From that develop a pool of key elements shared across all of those things while keeping an eye out for things that can fit your criteria.

Think of this like going on a restaurant & picking something new from the menu because it has ingredients that you like individually. From there experiment, compare & contrast as your interest grows a bit more each day. After which interest becomes the driving force of your productivity.

This productivity doesn't necessarily mean that it is tied to just work, but rather progressing mentally as well. Think of it this way, traditional work such as errands, jobs, among others are physical productivity that you can do on a daily basis while mental productivity can be more along the lines of discovering new shops nearby, learning the fastest route possible & reading a book. This may sound small, but these things can help in problem solving & help raise interest for social interations in the future. For example, say that by learning the fastest route possible to campus or work can help develop a much cleaner schedule, or maybe reading that book contained a solution you never thought possible & apply that into a situation later in life.

Small, misc. things like that help raise productivity believe it or not. This in turn helps you grow more knowledgeable of your surroundings & yourself thus allowng you to be social.

Social can take a lot of practice & patience. So let's start small. While exploring new interests try finding others with similar interests, you can make small talk from that & develop more conversations each time. Here's an example, say someone has a shirt that has a cool design to it that you recognize & are a fan of. You can approach that person & compliment on their apparel while asking if they're also a fan of that.

This is one of many ways to enter & engage people on a regular basis. You can also try being helpful by offering on the first instance you have if you see someone that needs a quick fix. Say for example, someone has their shoe untied or their backback is open, you can offer them to help close the backpack or by generally warn them about it. This icebreaker can help develop conversations if need be, it doesn't work 100% of the time, but being open & helpful can lead to a healthy relationship.

You can take it over here in the online space as well, since it's much easier to find people with similar interests. Say gaming for example, specific games can lead to a more wide arrange of people, & so on & so forth. It all takes a lot of practice, but if you keep yourself pushing the limit more & more you'll feel productive & healthy as you can ever be.

Hope this helps clear up somethings OP! If you need anything else, feel free to ask! I'm more than happy to help out!

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Thanks for the tips everyone!

Yeah it's hard to organise your life. I'm still without computer to see if I can ma age to be more productive. I think I am. But feels like maybe I should learn just how to be productive with a computer.

Maxi

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I'm not a productive person but from what I've seen for the people that are you need a genuine interesting in what you are trying to focus on, fantastic self discipline with prolonged focus turning it into a habit and always keeping busy with plans for the week.

Overtime that would then just become your daily habit and you'll want to keep pushing what you are doing so it doesn't become mundane. My issue is always distraction and my habit being popping on Reddit and forums like this rather than opening a text book. Plus I don't tend to have plans for the whole week so most evenings can become routine which adds to fatigue and even more unwillingness to focus.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Alright time to dust of this thread! I admit I got little spooked when recently a girl told me that even though she has feelings for me she has to choose another guy because he can provide a secure life.

So I'm again so damned stressed about not doing enough and need to figure out how to get shit done. Outside of cocain what the hell does a lazy motherfucker like me actually get ahead in life and actually do stuff?

Nahkapukki

Finest Finn
Sep 7, 2018
The Iciest Hole
I dunno. I've always just coasted doing stuff as I go without much of a plan or goals. Now later on I can see that it has harmed my worklife 'cause lack of goals has stagnated my working life completely. I'd say set goals and aim for them and if stuff seems hard just push through it 'cause the reward is better than just leaving things be and saying good enough is good enough.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I dunno. I've always just coasted doing stuff as I go without much of a plan or goals. Now later on I can see that it has harmed my worklife 'cause lack of goals has stagnated my working life completely. I'd say set goals and aim for them and if stuff seems hard just push through it 'cause the reward is better than just leaving things be and saying good enough is good enough.
Yeah goals, big and small would be good. If only there was a walkthrough. I get so damn easily sidetracked when I have to invent the road I walk.

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019
Think of your resistance to doing things as a physical entity you have to overcome.

Make it like a game if you have to even. Don't let 'resistance' win.

Also, meditate more, and beat on your shins with rolled up copies of Maxim or something.

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019
For me, I've realized that I take too much comfort in online sites like this, Reddit, or Era, and waste time here 'relaxing' and 'socializing' instead of getting things done. This has been a problem of mine since I was very young and would haunt sites like GameFAQs or even Newgrounds. Might be time for me to take that safety blanket away.

I always want to work out and read more than I do. Put down the phone pick up the kettlebell and a novel. Try not to go insane w my thoughts.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Getting Shit Done has been a long struggle of mine and I don't think there's one answer for everyone. I think the problem usually isn't the avenues and ways of not doing what you "should" be doing but the reasons why you aren't doing whatever it is.

In most cases, I don't think it's entirely your fault, not really. It's that you are trying to do things for the wrong reasons and without having come to the real, personal choice of doing them. Most of the time you think a generic "I should" that you don't buy yourself.

Usually, another thing that doesn't help is the sheer amount of friction involved in getting started or doing something new. It can go from the fear of failure to not knowing exactly how to start and hundreds of other things that come at you instantly and make your go "nope" before you have time to think and process.

Anyway, I came across two articles that were really insightful, in my opinion :

It's not about hurting or punishing yourself because you loathe yourself but instead trying to really make those choices along with yourself.

I can't speak for depression because it's a little like cancer in that there are a thousand different types and reasons.

The best of luck for photography, I wish I still had a camera :p.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
deftones r cool Yeah I'm the same, I often fall into things that don't really contribute anything to my life instead of improving and doing things I really want to do. And yes MetaCouncil is one of those things. But I allow MC to be in my life since everyone is so awesome here and has helped me in many ways, so it does enrich,

Swenhir You make good points.:D Will check out the articles!

#Senpai Haha yeah, as why I bumped this thread was because girls into me telling me outright that I'm not successful enough in life to date them does feel like a kick in my ass.