|OT| I get the SmachZ today. Anyone care to see a specific game running on it?

Phawx

Not-tradamus
Sep 6, 2018
For those that might not be aware, it's this guy

It has what's roughly an AMD 2500U running at 15w TDP. Based on earlier testing it should result in a 40% bump in performance compared to the Win2 at the same TDP.

Also another FIRST exclusive look at portable gaming hardware from "The Most Popular YouTuber". Ain't nobody on YouTube with as little subs as me flexin' so hard!

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
It's been obvious that it's real for a while.

Now if it will actually have satisfactory build quality/performance and delivered on time...
Haven't followed this thing since its original reveal. It certainly has a unique design, hopefully the quality is there as well, as you said.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
-Nier Automata
-Yakuza 0, Kiwami and Kiwami 2 (this last one the most important because it's the newest one and has a different engine)
-Devil May Cry 5
-Ace Combat 7
-Octopath Traveller

And I think that's it from me.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
BlueOdin Good idea! I'd be interested in how comfortable it is to play a "Session Game" on it and how the sticks work on a mouse heavy game. There again CIV has console versions so i don't think that'd matter much anymore.

Phawx What are your go-to games, ones you know really well, my "Comfy-Slipper" games i call them. Try a couple of those and see how they feel. Tech specs and framerates are great but i think playing something familiar will give a good impression of how it 'feels' to play the games.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
That's better than I expected.
Still wonder if they're ready for mass production though. Didn't follow this product too closely, but this was one of those projects with many downs.
But I get the appeal and this looks to be what was promised.

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Phawx How is performance at stock? Are modern indie games and last-gen AAA playable on this at decent quality settings?

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
In that video above it plays Doom 2016 on low settings at good frame rates so it should run most indies and last ten games fine.
Yeah but if I understood the video correctly this setup is the tweaked one with two of the cores disabled and maybe some overclocking?

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
Nice, I was bit disappointed in the performance on 15W so will check this out right away :sekiroblob:

Reactions: lashman
OP
Phawx

Phawx

Not-tradamus
Sep 6, 2018
What's the expected time until you run out of battery if you play a game like this? 2 hours? Less?
In theory, they have four 3400mAh batteries in series resulting in a 14.8v 50 watt hour storage.

At 25 watt TDP, the entire system takes around 33-40- watts depending on how much ram you have on the system (Smach uses SOdimm memory that is user replacable) and screen brightness

So worst cast is like 65-70 mins when gunning it.

I haven't put this to the test yet, and honestly looking at the battery meter not really expecting to be running at 25 watt, I don't think my proto would last that long.

But, on paper, expect an hour of battery life when juicing the system to the max.

quick look at witcher 3 at 25w

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
New video up :coffee-blob:
That's impressive. Lock it at 30 FPS, and this would make for a great mobile experience. Battery seems a bit lackluster, but it's understandable considering how much impressive hardware this thing is powering with it.
I am not really a fan of the form factor, though. The GPD Win 2 seems more interesting on that front.

Reactions: Mor