Community It's October now, what horror games will you be playing/are on your list/you recommend others?

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Time to get spooky 👻

What horror games are you playing to play? And any horror games you would like to recommend.

I'll first recommend two titles.
2017 was an exceptionally good year for games, and for AAA horror too, with Resident Evil 7 and Evil Within 2.
But two horror games (from two debut studios no less) were IMO not only the best horror games of 2017, but also the most interesting ones since P.T.

DETENTION

A horror adventure game set in the 1950's Civil War in Taiwan. You are a girl trapped in your school, which gets haunted by ghost spirit. What starts as familiar spook story turn into something completely different.
This is one of the best spiritual successor to Silent Hill, in terms of themes, presentation and story. It's puzzle and story heavy, and ghosts are inspired from the Taiwanese mythology.
Two review I recommend watching to know more.

DARKWOOD

The Steam store page says "a new perspective on survival horror" and it couldn't be more true. It's a top down survival horror game set in a haunted forest from which you much escape. One would think the top-down 2D nature couldn't give scares, but they would be in for a surprise. Plus the monsters are inspired from East European folklore but with a Lovecraftian twist.
While the individual elements are great and taking inspiration from several genres, the sum of it's part is an experience so well constructed that there's nothing quite like it.

You may also have heard the news about an indie studio made of 3 Polish devs giving away their game on Piratebay because they wanted people to know how illegal/shady game key sellers are harming the industry. Yup, they made this game.
Their story is a must read.

Review I recommend watching to know more.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Horror games that I have on my list to play/replay -
  • Silent Hill 2
  • Silent Hill 3
  • Silent Hill Shattered Memories
  • Year Walk
  • Maybe something from the retro games. Any suggestions are welcome.

Weerez

Hello, I'm here, I'm waiting
Sep 20, 2018
I might do something like my 20th playthrough of Luigi's Mansion. I really love the game and its campy horror vibe. I may also play through Dark Moon, although what I've played of it I didn't enjoy as much as the first game. And Majora's Mask is a must with it being perhaps the darkest (that's right, Twilight Princess) and most unsettling game in the Zelda series, and especially since I got a Majora's Mask tattoo not even a week ago, so it'd only be right.

Reactions: MegaApple

doogles

Oct 6, 2018
I'm gonna quit being a weenie and play through RE7, which I purchased this time last year.

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
i had to take breaks every 20 minutes or so back when i played it .... i'm a complete pussy when it comes to horror games ... i can barely watch playthroughs of them, let alone play them myself

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
I do not recommend it, but I will be playing Friday the 13th. My friends and I like to play games we think will be terrible. We knew what we had got ourselves into once we saw Jason execute someone in mid-air.

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I do not recommend it, but I will be playing Friday the 13th. My friends and I like to play games we think will be terrible. We knew what we had got ourselves into once we saw Jason execute someone in mid-air.
yeah, it's jank-city ... and not even the good kind of jank

Reactions: uraizen

CrazyJuan

Pirate Legend
Oct 9, 2018
Had I scored a copy I'd love to go back for the old NES Friday the 13th title. Its not great but I think it'd still be a fun play with the Mrs on the couch. As it stands maybe I could start RE7 again. I was enjoying it before I got sidetracked by whatever. I had wanted to go back but picking it up from where I stalled felt wrong. The only thing keeping me from doing it (aside from the current games I'm playing) is not really looking forward to dealing with the moldering again.

Reactions: Nahkapukki

Nahkapukki

Finest Finn
Sep 7, 2018
The Iciest Hole
I wish they'd release RE7 VR for PC too. It's WASTED on PSVR. (Yeah I'm going there)
Post automatically merged:

Hehe, then you won't be able to touch Darkwood.

But seriously, try some thing more action focused like RE4 or Evil Within series.
Evil Within 2 was the perfect mix of horror and action. Never did I feel like I was being jump scared for no other reason than cheap scares.