LTTP It's time for me to finish Fallout 1. Help.

Teggy

Patiently waiting for Wet 2
Dec 2, 2018
As mentioned in the shame thread, I have never beaten Fallout 1. In 2002 I got my first ever PC for grad school (I had Mac/Apple up until then) and I bought the Fallout 1/2 jewel box with it. I've since gotten on it on Steam. I've started the game countless times, never getting past the Hub.

I want to finish this game. Last time I got very hung up on the companions. Companions kept dying. I didn't know what to do. Don't I need my companions? How do I make sure companions don't die?

uncredited monkey

MetaMember
Oct 30, 2018
You don't need companions. They don't affect the endings.

You can manually heal any companion by using stims on them. The three human companions will use stims if they have any in their inventory. Dogmeat will always need to be manually healed.

The human companions can be told to wait if you need to keep them out of a tough fight. Just make sure you don't leave them in an area you cannot return to. Dogmeat will never leave unless you mod. Keeping Dogmeat alive through the game is a challenge for most players to the point where they post different strategies that they use.

Canonically all the Fallout 1 companions died during the events of the game.

Reactions: xist and lashman
OP
Teggy

Teggy

Patiently waiting for Wet 2
Dec 2, 2018
You don't need companions. They don't affect the endings.

You can manually heal any companion by using stims on them. The three human companions will use stims if they have any in their inventory. Dogmeat will always need to be manually healed.

The human companions can be told to wait if you need to keep them out of a tough fight. Just make sure you don't leave them in an area you cannot return to. Dogmeat will never leave unless you mod. Keeping Dogmeat alive through the game is a challenge for most players to the point where they post different strategies that they use.

Canonically all the Fallout 1 companions died during the events of the game.
Thanks. Should I just let them die or do they make the game easier?

Reactions: lashman

uncredited monkey

MetaMember
Oct 30, 2018
They are pretty solid until you run into packs of Muties. They are not going to be slaughtering everything like in F2 but can really help you early to mid game.

You can give them better weapons by using steal on them. They don't aggro.

Reactions: lashman