Discussion JRPG folks, what are you getting in 2022/23?

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Because oh boy, we are surely eating! Here's a list of the notable releases. Tell me if I have missed anything.

Rune Factory - July 14
Live A Live – July 22
Digimon Survive – July 29
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 – July 29

Soul Hackers 2 – August 25

Made in Abyss: Binary Star Falling into Darkness – September 2
Jack Move – September 8
Voice of Cards: The Beasts of Burden – September 13
Dragon Quest X Offline – September 15 (JP release)
Fairy Fencer F: Refrain Chord – September 15 (JP release)
Trinity Trigger – September 15 (JP release)
The DioField Chronicle – September 22
The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero – September 27

Triangle Strategy – October 13
Ultra Kaiju Monster Rancher – October 20 (JP release)
NEO: The World Ends with You – October 20 <-NEW
Persona 5 Royal – October 21
Star Ocean: The Divine Force – October 27
Relayer Advanced – October 27 <-NEW
Front Mission 1st: Remake – October

Harvestella – November 4
Valkyrie Elysium – November 11
Tactics Ogre: Reborn – November 11
Monochrome Mobius: Rights and Wrongs Forgotten – November 17
Pokémon Scarlet & Violet - November 18

Romancing SaGa -Minstrel Song- Remastered – December 1
Dragon Quest Treasures – December 9
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion – December 13

One Piece Odyssey - January 13, 2023
Persona 3 Portable - January 19, 2023
Fire Emblem Engage - January 20, 2023
Forspoken - January 25, 2023

Labyrinth of Galleria: The Moon Society - February 14, 2023
Digimon World: Next Order - February 22, 2023 <-NEW
Atelier Ryza 3: Alchemist of the End & the Secret Key - February 23, 2023
Octopath Traveler 2 - February 24, 2023

Rune Factory 3 Special (Switch, JP release) - March 2, 2023 <-RELEASE DATE UPDATE
The Legend of Heroes: Trails to Azure - March 14, 2023 <-RELEASE DATE UPDATE
Loop8: Summer of Gods - March 16, 2023 <-RELEASE DATE UPDATE

The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie - Summer 2023 <-RELEASE DATE UPDATE
Final Fantasy XVI - Summer 2023
<-RELEASE DATE UPDATE
Sea of Stars - 2023
Suikoken I&II HD Remaster - 2023
Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes - 2023

Obviously, I will be getting Xenoblade 3 on day 1. I have been replaying XB1 now and also watching videos of XB2 lately in preparation for the upcoming (and possibly final) game in the Xenoblade mainline universe. Judging from all the media released, I am confident that this is going to be the best Xenoblade game ever. Extremely hyped.

Another game I may get on day 1 would be Persona 5 Royal. Finally it is coming to PC and I will reward Atlus for doing the right decision, although I enjoy a RPG game going on an adventure in a fictional world than working on social sim in modern Tokyo.

Apart from these two, you know what, all of the games above are somewhat looking good in different ways. I will likely get all of them down the road. It is absolutely nuts to see so much JRPGs being released in such short time frame. Bonkers.

Last edited:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I’m considering Live A Live and Digimon Survive - I’ll see how reviews look for those two.

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion, Soul Hackers 2 and Persona 5 Royal are musts for me.

I am not a die-hard JRPG fan so I will likely skip the rest for day 1, and pick up the ones that stand the test of time.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Day 1:
  • Digimon Survive
  • Soul Hackers 2 (already bought)
  • Persona 5 Royal
  • Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion
  • Romancing SaGa -Minstrel Song- Remastered
Most likely day 1 but undecided:
  • Harvestella
  • The DioField Chronicle
When they come to PC:
  • Triangle Strategy
  • Live A Live
  • Dragon Quest X Offline (this is on PC but I won't create a specific category for it, this is when available in the west)
Soon:
  • Made in Abyss: Binary Star Falling into Darkness
  • Valkyrie Elysium

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018
I'd buy XC3 but I still need to play 2 (If I ever do).

Of the rest I'd get Soul Hackers 2 and P5R. Maybe Diofield, but I'm not sure.

I'll also buy Trails from Zero (but I'm not replaying the game , I just want to have it in an easy to acces way).

I might get Crisis Core but I need to see the price first. And I'll probably get Romancing Saga down the road. DQX if/when it gets a western release.

I think that's about it.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
I'm getting Xeno 3 day one. I have been waiting for this one for a long time.
Might also get Persona 5 to play it on Deck, but that depends on the price.
Star Ocean so far appears to be a 6-7/10 game, in some ways it kinda looks like a smaller budget Xenoblade. Might get it eventually on a sale if it's reviewed okayish.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
I'm kind of a semi-lapsed JRPG fan. I still heavily gravitate towards Japanese games, but if we're talking the old school "turn based battles, random encounters" style, they have to really be exceptional (or do something out of the ordinary) to get me to play them. :face-with-cold-sweat: I prefer stuff that trends more action-RPG these days.

That said, in cases where I DO want to play a JRPG or JRPG adjacent game, I usually really, REALLY want it, and must have some kind of ridiculous special edition to satisfy my OCD.:sweaty-blob: Hence, please excuse the list below being fairly console centric.

Soul Hackers 2: Preordered the Asian CE (PS5)!

Xenoblade Chronicles 3/Crisis Core: Desperately trying to find a CE preorder for the former, and all the way in on getting one for the latter.

Diofield Chronicles: It was me, Dio(field Chronicles)! :evilblob:

Thats pretty much the only thing that registered with me when this game was initially shown, totally uninterested.

Live A Live: Semi interested, as this was a dream localization from my misspent youth, but not sure I'd still enjoy its old school stylings in the modern era. I'll pick it up whenever they release it on Steam, at like 50% off.

Persona 5 Royal: All the way out on this. I love P5R, but I've just played through P5 way too many times at this point.

Rune Factory 5: I own the CE on Switch, but was waiting for the Steam version so I could play it at a stable framerate. But then they decided to release it sans any kind of regional pricing, so I'll just let RF5 rot for a bit while XSEED reconsiders their life choices.

Harvestella: A Squeenix take on farming? Interesting! But maybe when it gets cheaper.

Edit: Shit, that post went on way longer than I thought it was. Sorry! :negative-blob:

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020
Utawarerumono and Persona are likely day one purchases unless they somehow end up being awful ports, Soul Hackers is a victim of releasing to close to Uta so I'll probably get it in 2030.

Still not sure if I want to pick up CLE's Kuro no Kiseki port this month - on one hand I'm not super enthusiastic about waiting till late 2024 for NISA's version, on the other I could use less enormous games in my backlog this year and the spreadsheet adds a lot of unnecessary busywork when it comes to combat and I'm not that interested in dropping the difficulty to the point where I can just press random buttons and win. It also doesn't help that their Hajimari port was pretty rough with awful loading times after every battle (and it required 1500 of them for 100% :notlikethisblob:).

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Diofield Chronicles: It was me, Dio(field Chronicles)! :evilblob:
I need to know who is greenlighting all these names in SQEX. Many of them sounds so weird and stupid. :ROFLMAO:
Still not sure if I want to pick up CLE's Kuro no Kiseki port this month - on one hand I'm not super enthusiastic about waiting till late 2024 for NISA's version, on the other I could use less enormous games in my backlog this year and the spreadsheet adds a lot of unnecessary busywork when it comes to combat and I'm not that interested in dropping the difficulty to the point where I can just press random buttons and win. It also doesn't help that their Hajimari port was pretty rough with awful loading times after every battle (and it required 1500 of them for 100% :notlikethisblob:).
Personally I really don't want to give money to CLE due to their awful ports and regional pricing. Would rather support Durante's work. :face-with-look-of-triumph: But I am also not really a fan of modern Kiseki games... Still need to play Cold Steel 3 and onwards.

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Colorado, USA
Definitely getting Xenoblade 3, and maybe Digimon Survive later (but not on the same day :p). After that I will probably get Soul Hackers 2, Live a Live, Diofield Chronicles, Harvestella and Crisis Core.

That’s already a lot to manage, but I’d consider some of the others on your original list depending on time and budget. I’ll probably end up getting P5R on PC just to start over and be able to play on Deck.

Gintaro

MetaMember
Feb 20, 2021
Malaysia
Day 1 for Soul Hackers 2 and P5R!

Digimon Survive is tempting too but with how packed August is for me I'll need to skip it for now.

Will keep an eye on Star Ocean and Valkyrie Elysium ( Some of my favorite JP voice actors are in both), also Harvestella but definitely not day 1 cause of SE region pricing.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Uh, I have asked the question on another board but I get the sinking feeling I won’t receive any answer, so sorry for the OT but what was the problem with Xenoblade 2 undocked again ? Resolution or fps ? And was docked better ?

Yeah, I’m advancing in 1 and trying to see how I will play 2.

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Uh, I have asked the question on another board but I get the sinking feeling I won’t receive any answer, so sorry for the OT but what was the problem with Xenoblade 2 undocked again ? Resolution or fps ? And was docked better ?

Yeah, I’m advancing in 1 and trying to see how I will play 2.
Both, mostly resolution. They clearly rushed the game. Now they seem to have taken their sweet time to develop 3 so the game runs better than 2 even though texture and model looks much more complex.

Edit: Oh, and docked is better!

Last edited:

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
I've got a ton of games I'm planning to pick up day 1:
  • Live-A-Live and Xenoblade 3 are already pre-ordered. Kuro no Kiseki II: Crimson Sin I have the PSN credit set aside for when pre-orders go live on PSN.
  • Digimon Survive I'm waiting for it to go live. I wasn't entirely sure if I was going to get it at launch but reading that it was partly inspired by Utawarerumono made this a must-get for me
  • Speaking of Utawarerumono, Monochrome Mobius is a day-1 get... though I'll likely end up reviewing it, so probably I'll actually play it a little before launch
  • Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song Remastered is a get, too
  • Harvestella I'm interested in but I do want to see some more of it; the same goes for Star Ocean and Valkyrie Elysium.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
On topic, I hate that I have trouble giving my opinion here. The subject feels right at home for me but several factors make it a though question. I'm not exactly a day 1 person, partly because game prices aren't cheap, partly because I'm always catching up on one installment or another, and playing things day one surprisingly makes the probability of dropping them higher for me.
And I don't see anything here that makes me scream day 1 or bust. But on the flip side there is a ton of must buy.

Very excited by the globally very solid graphics, and my interest in the series is partly renewed now that I have left AlcamothKillerOfPace in the first one. But yeah, I'm still in the first one, so...

Rune Factory - July 14
Will be too pricey.

Live A Live – July 22
Switch only ? Interested but not that hyped.

Front Mission Remake - Summer
I could do without fucking HD-2D, but sure, I have very fond memories of it.

Soul Hackers 2 – August 25
Tried playing the first one (or second one in fact), and rebounded hard. Not sure if it won't color my opinion in a bad way.

At last. But yeah, I should prepare myself now for the final boss, the WALL OF TEXT FROM HELL.

Digimon Survive – July 29
Not the biggest fan of TRPG or Pokemon adjacent games, but sure, interested.

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion – Winter
Interested, for sure, but so late on these series...

So yeah, a VERY good lineup. Will I buy any day one ? I don't know.

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Colorado, USA
Very excited by the globally very solid graphics, and my interest in the series is partly renewed now that I have left AlcamothKillerOfPace in the first one. But yeah, I'm still in the first one, so...
Are you going to play 2 and Torna, and just wait to pick up 3 until you are all caught up? Wondering if I should do the same right now so I'm just curious.

Reactions: QFNS and Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Are you going to play 2 and Torna, and just wait to pick up 3 until you are all caught up? Wondering if I should do the same right now so I'm just curious.
I may not be the perfect model, as I alluded to I historically let my ocd make me catchup on series, a thing I’m trying to fix. That being said and seeing that 3 is meant to bridge 1 and 2, pretty sure I will play 2 first. But 2 looks ungodly long, so yeah, no july 29 for me :anguished-face:

Reactions: Ibuki

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
There are almost too many JRPGs coming out in such a short time and I am already notoriously bad at buying them playing for 20 hours and shelving them if the story does not interest me, which feels silly to buy any day one, but here we are haha.

Day 1:
Soul Hackers 2 <-Have to support this one coming to PC day 1, love the style and aesthetic.
Live a Live <-A game I have wanted to play for a long time, but never got too far when I emulated it. Excited for a translated release. Still wish it was coming to PC, and knowing my luck, it will come in 3-6 months.
Harvestella<-Somehow looks simultaneously high and low budget, but I love farming/life sim games. This looks right up my alley and I want to support the genre.
Persona 5 Royal<-Technically own an imported LE from Japan, but the non-Royal PS3 edition. Of course, as my luck had it, the Royal edition was rumored/revealed after I started playing, so I shelved it and never beat it. I held off on the hopes I could play it on PC as I did not own a PS4 and now it is coming!
Xeno 3 <- I am an idiot for getting this day 1, but here we are haha. I have never beat the others, only gotten 20-30 hours in

Sooner rather than Later (May get if I can get a decent % off):
Valkyrie Elysium
DioField Chronicle
Digimon Survive <-Most likely will get close to day 1, if not day 1, the slice of life stuff sounds really interesting.

Pending reviews:
Made in Abyss <-Love the show and interested in what direction this game goes, but I always go in with low hopes for games based on manga/anime/LNs
Star Ocean 6 <-I know this series has a love/hate following, and I am completely on the outside of it, never played anything other than a bit of SO2 and nothing since. Though I had always hoped 5 would come to PC.

Someday:
Rune Factory 5 <-I want this, but the price is a tinge high and I have hardly played RF4
Romancing SaGa -Minstrel Song- Remastered <-Just too many games coming out, will likely wait on this one

Last edited:

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Day one purchases are Live a Live, Xenoblade 3, Front Mission Remake, Soul Hackers 2 and Persona 5 Royal. I'm curious about DioFiend Chronicle, Harvestella, Valkyrie Elyisum, Dragon Quest Treasures and One Piece Odyssey, but those will probably wind up being rentals and/or waiting for sales.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Great idea for a thread. I realised we never did have a community thread for JRPGs. I guess this will have to do for the time being. :flare_bath:

The one I'm looking forward to most is Trails from Zero. It would be nice if we can export the clear save from the original Geofront/PC JP version, so I can do NG+ on nightmare difficulty. But, it's not a big deal since the Kai version will be an entirely different thing. I'll be making the OT again to discuss the game when it releases, so I hope some of you will join me there.

The next one up is Soul Hackers 2. I feel the game has the making of something special. Adult characters, voiced protagonist, QoL improvements carryovers from the previous SMT games, PC features that isn't just a resolution selector and windowed/full-screen toggle and last but not least, a banger of a soundtrack (at least in preview). Of course, the jury is still out in terms of story, but I'm definitely more excited about this game compared to Persona. I'm also looking forward to gaming press calling this game “Persona without the Heart” yet again. :flare_smirk:

My exception to the rule of not buying any Squeenix games on day one is probably any SaGa games. As such, Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song remaster is one of them. I never did finish my playthrough of the PS2 original (or neither the SNES original, for that matter). But I'm fairly hopeful that Squeenix won't fuck this up. The PC port of the last SaGa game they released (SaGa Frontier) is decent, all things considered. Even though sometimes I don't agree with the AI upscaling of the pre-rendered backgrounds. Hopefully the price is right on third-party key resellers as well.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a weird beast. For full disclosure, I never did finish XCDE/XC2. I always fell through at about 3/4 mark on each game. To share a little of my previous experiences with the earlier two, I enjoyed travelling and exploring the world (and sometimes the anime hijinks as well), but I'm not a fan of its MMO-esque combat and sidequests. Not to mention XC2's gacha-like mechanics for obtaining rare blades. Also, the performance issues on Switch combined with its aggressive dynamic resolution scaling really diminishes the experience for me. Having said that, the character designs of XC3 really appeal to me for some reason. Hopefully, XC3 was built on the same engine as XCDE so Yuzu developers won't have their work cut out for them in making XC3 Yuzu-compatible.

I'm a big fan of Utawarerumono, but I was really disappointed about the state of the PC ports of the trilogy turned out to be. I'm also cursing at my lack of expertise in 3D programming because I can't fix it myself. Despite that, I'm cautiously optimistic about Monochrome Mobius: Rights and Wrongs Forgotten. At its core, the combat looks different since it's not an isometric TRPG anymore, but I'll keep an open mind about it. Hopefully the elemental affinity mechanics are more relevant compared with the original trilogy, though.

And finally, Digimon Survive is something I'm interested in. I like the elevation/positional mechanics in the gameplay footage I've seen so far. Also, the producer said they're a big fan of Uta, so there's that. I'm not expecting the game to move mountains like its inspiration, but I hope the story is competent enough so that it'll get some kind of emotional reaction out of me.

There are a bunch of others I'm keen to have a look at, like Disgaea 6 and Diofeld Chronicle, but Squeenix's (and by extension, NISA's) regional pricing (or absolute lack thereof) has really dampened my enthusiasm. Even XC3, a console game, can be had for almost $20 less compared to that one Squeenix-published FMV game which title escaped me.

Last edited:
OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Harvestella<-Somehow looks simultaneously high and low budget, but I love farming/life sim games. This looks right up my alley and I want to support the genre.
I wonder if there's relationship and marriage in the game. That will probably decide if I pick it up sooner or later. But as other said, their games being so expensive is a punch to the guts.

Great idea for a thread. I realised we never did have a community thread for JRPGs. I guess this will have to do for the time being. :flare_bath:

The one I'm looking forward to most is Trails from Zero. It would be nice if we can export the clear save from the original Geofront/PC JP version, so I can do NG+ on nightmare difficulty. But, it's not a big deal since the Kai version will be an entirely different thing. I'll be making the OT again to discuss the game when it releases, so I hope some of you will join me there.
Thanks. :blobevening: I will pick it up and replay Trails from Zero after finishing the Cold Steel saga. Need to refresh my memory on Crossbell before going into Reverie. But I wonder when I will play Cold Steel 3 though...

Having said that, the character designs of XC3 really appeal to me for some reason.
Love that saitom tuned down the horniness of his design. Pyra's outfit in XB2 totally not fitting her personality is hilarious. Also look at this 3D model of Mio posted by thegamer. The image file name suggests that it's a screenshot directly taken from the Switch. Perfection.

Monochrome Mobius: Rights and Wrongs Forgotten
I walked by their demo event a few weeks ago in Japan. Watched a bit of the gameplay and saw their caption on the poster "to JRPG, it's always the story". I guess they are very confident with their work on the narrative. Very cool but sadly I haven't played any of the Uta games, and the state of PC ports definitely prevent me from picking them up for my main rig. Planned to play them in the future on the Deck though.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I wonder when I will play Cold Steel 3 though...
I won't lie, the time investment needed to get past CS III-IV is rather large, but since you have ample of commuting time… :flare_smirk:

The image file name suggests that it's a screenshot directly taken from the Switch. Perfection.
It does look good, but XC's cutscenes has always been good. It's the field models that have aggressive LODs. Which is fine enough on a handheld, but once in docked mode with video output on TV, all that facial features are gone. Having said that, the cel-shading in that screenshot looks excellent. I'll have to capture my own screenshots of it and compare later.

Planned to play them in the future on the Deck though.
Well, you can possibly MM first, because (light spoiler on Uta timeline) the game is set before the events of Mask of Deception. Think of it like Yakuza 0 of sorts. But if you have the chance to play it on deck, the original trilogy is perfect on it. :flare_bath:

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Nice idea to put thoughts into one big thread, I can see it being helpful to choose... and see where the disappointment comes from later :cold-sweat:

Live A Live – the demo was... very much Live A Live I guess? It's still cool, but still feels rushed, because the stories kinda are, honestly. The hybrid of strategy and fake ATB combat I do enjoy a lot, but the balance was really whack in the original, I hope they worked on that.
Visually, I find it... a bit ugly. Octopath had some more effects and sparkles to hide some shoddy textures and low poly count, here it's a bit eeeeh. And I found it quite annoying to read at times, not always obvious to see what you can interact with or how to reach map exits/some NPCs, etc.
I'll bite, but later.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 – looks great! But I always lose interest in those games, the MMO gameplay circa 2001 is a bore... and the games end up as rotation spammers with very little flavour.
It's too bad, the rest is very nicely done, but the combat and the progression make them a lot less exciting to play than they could be.
Wait&see.

Soul Hackers 2 – dunno, maybe. It's an Atlus developed game, and it has the rare distinction of being my "do I want to replay that game? Nah, not at all, and it kinda sucked actually" category.
At least that one isn't set in a high school I guess.

Dragon Quest X Offline – I'd play it. Looks ugly though... but maybe starting from an MMO and making it solo will avoid the issues that games like Xenoblade have? It's made to have less filler, maybe the pacing will suffer less than making a solo game with all the trappings of MMOs?

The DioField Chronicle – this I expected nothing out of, but ultimately I find super interesting. It's very unique, and if the story holds up, I think I'm in once reviews are out. Really cool to have something like this.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero – didn't like it in the least and it's 50% of the reaosn why I even dropped Trails entirely. The beginning of the harem series, whoop dee doo.

Star Ocean: The Divine Force – C'mon, it's Star Ocean I want it to be good and fun to play. The latter is likely, the former, less so. Please, don't be a mess like all the other games... but then, that might be a me problem to expect something different after all these years of mediocrity and rare moments of brilliance (which were just luck I assume).

Valkyrie Elysium - pretty much the same thing. Combat looks neat, but it's also a Valkyrie game, and that's putting a lot of pressure on that poor game.

Harvestella – don't like life sims, don't like this one. Combat looks super stiff. Didn't seem that appealing...

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion – I want to replay it, really. But then it will remind everyone of why that game was so stupid. At least it seems like a big improvement gameplay wise.
Oh and Zack > Cloud. :fingergunsblob:

One Piece Odyssey - I was excited early on, but the gameplay they've shown cooled me off. Reminds me of Dragon Ball Kakarot. Sure, there's some fun to be had, but maybe they could have given the game some budget. And something else than a basic turn based system...

A lot of stuff coming, but I'll be more than careful. It's not like I ever preorder anything.

• Comfy
Reactions: QFNS and Cacher
OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
It does look good, but XC's cutscenes has always been good. It's the field models that have aggressive LODs. Which is fine enough on a handheld, but once in docked mode with video output on TV, all that facial features are gone. Having said that, the cel-shading in that screenshot looks excellent. I'll have to capture my own screenshots of it and compare later.

Well, you can possibly MM first, because (light spoiler on Uta timeline) the game is set before the events of Mask of Deception. Think of it like Yakuza 0 of sorts. But if you have the chance to play it on deck, the original trilogy is perfect on it. :flare_bath:
Someone posted a comparison between XB2 and 3 character model in cutscene, and the upgrade is huggggge. XB2 still looks pretty good in modern standard, but XB3 is just on another level.

Oh, I will definitely play Uta first. Interesting to know the spoiler. Not lacking games to play for now so they will have to wait. ;)
Valkyrie Elysium - pretty much the same thing. Combat looks neat, but it's also a Valkyrie game, and that's putting a lot of pressure on that poor game.
The original Valkyrie Profile is one of my favorite JRPGs ever, but this game is not very appealing to me (as a Valkyrie game) even though they try to add some references to the original game. Why revive the franchise through a action reboot/spinoff? If this game isn't successful, it will certainly send the franchise to the grave. The franchise surely needs new things for a new entry but not a total (low-budget) makeover. And I bet they know most fans out there are asking for a Hrist game for the past decade.

Last edited:
  • Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

LionelInoe

Linux Advocate
Jul 13, 2022
If Live A Live comes out on Steam, I will gladly buy into it.

Otherwise, I think most of the RPGs this year are a skip for me. Bravely Default 2 last year kind of soured me on switch exclusive JRPGs and I have a huge backlog now due to my Steam Deck.

I think when the dust settles on the Switch, I might grab some copies of the various Xenoblade games.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
If Live A Live comes out on Steam, I will gladly buy into it.

Otherwise, I think most of the RPGs this year are a skip for me. Bravely Default 2 last year kind of soured me on switch exclusive JRPGs and I have a huge backlog now due to my Steam Deck.

I think when the dust settles on the Switch, I might grab some copies of the various Xenoblade games.
I'm a bit afraid of the "BD2 effect", where A LOT of the QOL and good points of a franchise are just gone, and it's not like it improves the weak points.
That game I felt was just... bad. And I fear that a good bunch of those upcoming games, from SE in particular, will suffer from the same issue... filling up a release schedule being more important than giving the care and attention they need.

Reactions: LionelInoe
OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Updated thread title and also a new list. My wallet is not ready.

Jack Move – September 8

Harvestella – November 4

Loop8: Summer of Gods - Spring 2023
Rune Factory 3 Special - Spring 2023
Sea of Stars - 2023
Persona 3 Portable - 2023
Final Fantasy XVI - 2023

Last edited:

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Updated thread title and also a new list. My wallet is not ready.

Jack Move – September 8

Harvestella – November 4
Monochrome Mobius: Rights and Wrongs Forgotten– November 17

Rune Factory 3 Special - Spring 2023

Adding that newly anncounced Suikoden I & II remaster to 2023 somewhere too.
These next several months are going to be insane.

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Adding that newly anncounced Suikoden I & II remaster to 2023 somewhere too.
These next several months are going to be insane.
Yeah, I missed a lot of them haha. Updated the list again.

Personally I am pretty excited towards Fire Emblem Engage. Mechanics seem pretty gimmicky, but the sweet visual, story being only one route and the return of critical hit animation, this is shaping up to be another good FE game.

Last edited:
  • Hug
Reactions: QFNS
OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Very tempted to grab this bundle. Various Daylife seems like my kind of game, and I have been waiting for the release of Triangle Strategy on PC. Going to think a few days before buying.

KingKrouch

Dec 14, 2021
In terms of JRPGs, I'm personally looking forward to:

* Persona 5 Royal's PC release (as someone who bought both a PS4 and PS3 copy of the original game, and dumped a backup of my physical PS3 copy to emulate it) although I'm gonna play it on Game Pass first before deciding if the Steam release is worth spending $60 on.

* The new Star Ocean game (Although from what I've heard, the console versions are having issues around it's double buffered VSync implementation and dips near fireplaces).

* Neptunia Sisters vs Sisters (Can't speak about this in detail yet, but I definitely think IdeaFactory is headed in the right direction gameplay and PC port wise, and if the PS4 and PS5 versions being locked at 30FPS have anything to say, makes it far easier to recommend). Personally, I think the spinoff games are a mixed bag, but this is probably the strongest of them. It's also nice fr0m the standpoint that they've historically outsourced a majority of their PC ports with mixed results.

* Trails from Zero (Probably gonna pick up the Steam release, as I have the rest of Falcom's games there, and PH3's ports are rock solid).

I ended up picking up Soul Hackers 2 recently (via Fanatical) with the intention of playing it when I get the time (Also with SoulHackers2Fix to fix the movement bugs at higher framerates, for ultrawide support, and to remove the chromatic aberration), and I did buy Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD on sale at Humble for $30 or so, so I could investigate a few of the problems with that version of the game (luckily, despite using Denuvo and IL2CPP, UnityExplorer works without issues with it).

Been needing to get my hands on Xenoblade 3, but I need to get through the first two games first (Which I bought for the sole intent of using nxdumptool to have a ROM that I can play in Yuzu with the 60FPS and ultrawide patches). Also been needing to finish Mary Skelter Finale (Which I've been playing in Yuzu using a dumped copy I got from my preordered collector's edition, I'm on the final chapter and I've been transferring my save between my PC and my Steam Deck to finish it), unsure if I'll buy a PC release of that if it's coming (Based on how disappointed I was with 2's port not being based on the original PS4 release without the lighting downgrades, not addressing a lot of the technical problems with the Switch release, and introducing more problems, especially considering it would've been an easy recommendation from me if not for the technical issues).

I've also been needing to get around to finishing Ys IX, if that counts as a JRPG, luckily that works without a problem on my Steam Deck. Same for Disgaea 6, I ended up pausing finishing that because of stuff going on IRL, but I never got around to picking it back up. I can at least confirm that's probably the best PC port of a JRPG I've played in years if you don't count PH3's output. Same goes for Rune Factory 5 (Even if that Steam release has some withstanding problems that could be patched, RF5Fix at least solves most of the port related problems).

TLDR: Some games that I'm looking forward to, but there's others that are in my backlog that I'd like to get around to finishing.

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Updating the list. Getting crazier every passing day.

NEO: The World Ends with You – October 20 <-NEW
Relayer Advanced – October 27 <-NEW

Harvestella – November 4

Digimon World: Next Order - February 22, 2023 <-NEW

Rune Factory 3 Special (Switch, JP release) - March 2, 2023 <-RELEASE DATE UPDATE
The Legend of Heroes: Trails to Azure - March 14, 2023 <-RELEASE DATE UPDATE
Loop8: Summer of Gods - March 16, 2023 <-RELEASE DATE UPDATE

The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie - Summer 2023 <-RELEASE DATE UPDATE
Final Fantasy XVI - Summer 2023
<-RELEASE DATE UPDATE
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth - Winter 2023 (yeah suuuuuuuurrrrreeee) <-NEW
Chained Echoes - Q4 2023 <-NEW

Sea of Stars - 2023

Last edited:

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Technically you missed FF7 Rebirth for next year but lol at the thought of that actually coming out late next year. I don't think anyone in their right mind truly believes it'll happen.

I just bought triangle strategy for PC but still need to play it. Got star ocean coming in a few days too and then harvestella right after that and then crisis core. I'm interested in the remastered classics coming out soon too. I missed tactics ogre and suikoden back in the day for whatever reason so now I'll finally have the chance to fix that.

As for next year I got octopath 2 on the humble price error and so far it still hasn't been cancelled. I'm on board for FF16 too for better or worse, not really happy at them making it a DMC game.

• Evil
Reactions: QFNS and Cacher
OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Added both! Technically Chained Echoes (and Sea of Star) are not JRPG but they play like the counterparts in the genre so I don't mind adding them to the list.

Reactions: QFNS
OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Finally bought my first game during this JRPG rush: Harvestella. I instantly fell in love with this game, likely due to the beautiful music and clean artstyle, when it was revealed during the Nintendo Direct in June. Still very early into the game, but the music is already getting into my head. The title theme and main theme are both excellent.

Edit: Composer is Go Shiina, btw.

Last edited:

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I got harvestella too but I'm so behind at the moment I have no idea when I'll get to it. I'm still only 3 hours into star ocean and still have to start triangle strategy :negative-blob:

• Sad
  • Shrug
Reactions: Cacher and lashman

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Yeah tactics ogre is literally a week away, right after god of war. How do we go from nothing for half of this year to everything all at once? This reminds me of the 90s when every notable game came out in a 2 month period.
Persona 5 Royal
Front Mission remake
Harvestella
Tactics Ogre
SaGa

the cup runneth over. Now to wait for all the ones I won't have time to play to go on sale next year, lmao.

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Finished Chapter 2 of Harvestella after 4 to 5 hours. First dungeon and boss cleared but side quests aren't available yet.

This game is the definition of low-budgeted title. Nearly no voice-acting. Animations and combat are serviceable. Farming is very easy and manageable. I don't really like repetitive work so it is actually a plus in my book. There is also baffling design choice like dodge has to be learnt in the skill tree rather than being something given by default. In most cases, the game plays like an indie but published by a big publisher. $60 bucks price tag is steep.

However, I am still enjoying the game. Trailers didn't show any story stuff, and it is more interesting than what I expected. The game throws a lot of mysteries towards the players during these opening hours. Characters are also intriguing as well, and I read that the side quests dig pretty deep into some town folks as well as key characters who can be chosen as life-long partner (basically marriage) during late game.

Dungeon design is also pretty cool. There is clearly good effort put into designing the layout of the first dungeon, with branching paths, road blocks (strong enemy that can't be defeat yet) as well as ladders and bridges which require time and resources for repair and also serve as short cuts for future backtracking. Now I am expecting better and more complex dungeons down the road.

Despite the apparent low budget effort, the game still looks pretty good imo. The art style makes it look clean on the Deck screen. And the music tracks are all awesome. These two aspects really bring a good old adventure vibe to the game. I really enjoyed my time appreciating the scenery and even stopping my progress to listen to music piece.

Personally I recommend the game but not at 60 bucks. Wait for a discount and manage your expectations. This is not a direct clone of Rune Factory or Stardew Valley. It is a story-driven game that has mediocre combat and simple farming. I would say it plays more like a niche NISA game than something from SQEX. I am also usually fairly lenient on games so some of you may have a different experience than mine. Overall I am really enjoying my time with it so definitely going to continue my adventure very soon.

• Hug
Reactions: QFNS and Li Kao
OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I got to the second town in Harvestella.

Looks even better in motion. I love JRPGs with good vista. This is definitely one of them.