|OT| Kentucky Route Zero - Take care. Think of me when you dial zero!

Do you have any debts?

• I never really had any collateral.

• I owe some people some apologies.

Results are only viewable after voting.

ListeningGarden

目をそらした瞬間
Nov 12, 2018

PC Edition Site -x- TV Edition Site

Born, January 7, 2013 - Died, January 28, 2020
Tinkerers and Tailors - Cardboard Computer
Delivery Service - Annapurna Interactive
Theaters - Windows/macOS/Linux, PS4, Xbox One & Switch
It'll Cost Ya About - $24.99 (we offer tabs!)

Available from these fine retailers, or wherever videogames are sold:

Windows/macOS/Linux
Steam
GoG
Itch.io
Humble

Xbox One
Xbox Store

Playstation 4
US PSN Store
EU PSN Store

Nintendo Switch
Americas eShop
European eShop
Japanese eShop

(Store links for console editions will be added when available!)

This |OT| brought to you by our boys at...

Kentucky Route Zero is an episodic story told via pictures that move wherever you tell them to go. It's a slow-paced, character driven point & click experience that won't appeal to everyone. Those who find themselves drawn to it tend appreciate the inspirations it takes from classic literature, experimental film, and theater productions. If that doesn't sound like your cup of joe, well, I'm sure the bus will arrive soon. It's running a bit late today.

Rather than focusing on a main character, the game follows a group of people who are brought together through circumstance. As the sun goes down over this little strip of land in Kentucky, a man named Conway takes one last job - to deliver a package to '5 Dogwood Drive'. Along the way, he meets people whose lives have been affected by social and economic hardships, many of whom agree to help him find this address that can only be reached by traversing along the mysterious Route Zero. You not only learn a lot about characters by talking to them, but dialog options give you a greater picture of the character you're controlling in that moment - what they choose not to tell others is just as important as what they say. Unlike other dialog-oriented games that have come out in recent years, there's no pressure or time limits. You're free to mull over every choice with a fine glass of Hard Times if you're so inclined.

7 years in the making, Kentucky Route Zero's timeless story still rings true for everyone who has driven down that long stretch of road under the dim light of a reluctant moon. Within lies the remains of lives once dreamed, words that failed to be spoken. A longing for an old flame, or maybe just another drink. Families and friends held firmly in the callous grasp of enterprise and the decay of industry. A chance meeting of total strangers, riding on the backs of debt and regret. It is, in the developer's words, a tragedy, so expect an appropriate melancholy and prepare yourself in the event of some unexpected introspection. Despite the surreal and unknowable things you'll come across on your journey, this is very much a tale on the human experience.

So, what's all this "TV Edition" business? Thanks to some help from Annapurna Interactive, Kentucky Route Zero will be available to a much wider audience who play on Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and Playstation 4! "TV Edition" is just a fancy way to denote these console-specific versions... well, "fancy" to some lexicons anyway. Owners of "TV Edition" will get everything the PC version has: Acts I-V (Yes, the game is finally complete!) as well as interlude chapters that exist between acts. These interlude chapters feature some experimentation in gameplay styles, and are important to play as they set up characters, locations and themes that will be relevant in the act ahead.

In case of uncertainty - of which there is plenty of in these times - please consult the following:

PC & TV Edition Features:
All 5 Acts and respective Interludes built-in!
Available in a wide range of resolutions, from 525 line-capable sets all the way up to 4k!*
Full input support for a variety of devices, whichever works on your platform of choice!
"Classic" style mode, emulating the glory days of VGA!
Dial-up software included!**
Support for .wrongle files! (PC Edition Only)
Screenshot Taker and Other Debug Oddities! (PC Edition Only)
Contempt for late-stage capitalism!
...& more!

*Consult the manual of your TV set for exact specifications. If you no longer have the manual, or never had one to begin with, stop by the Márquez TV Workshop, located in the back of the bait-n-tackle shop on the corner of Wax and Peonia Road. Tell Shannon that Ellie sent you!
**Refer to your contract with the Consolidated Power Co. for more information on fees for any local or long-distance calls placed.

Available while supplies last!

For the hit single "Static Between Stations" from the upcoming Junebug album, press 1.
To see what else is on TV, press 2.
To hear a little about Here and There Along The Echo, press 3.
If you wish to peruse our fine catalog of records available for purchase, press 4.
To take a gander at the rich history of the Zero, press 5.
For a look at our previous catalog,
press 6.
To repeat these options again, press 9.
To return to the main menu, press 0.

Special thanks to
Tenrius for help with the original |OT|! In addition to the gracious and no-strings-attached help from our boys at Hard Times, this topic was also brought to you by the Bureau of Secret Tourism and the #legdebt gang.​

Last edited:

Rockin' Ranger

Rangers With Candy
Nov 7, 2018

Everyone playing should make sure to play the interludes too, they're fantastic as well. Un Pueblo de Nada is as good as any of the episodes.

BEN: I guess it doesn't matter -- the ghost voices don't really come out until you play back the recording later.
BOB: They only exist in recordings, like a copy without the original. A mirror reflecting something that isn't in the room.

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
Any news if the Xbox One X version is 4K HDR? And will the interludes be added to the PC version?

OP
ListeningGarden

ListeningGarden

目をそらした瞬間
Nov 12, 2018
Any news if the Xbox One X version is 4K HDR? And will the interludes be added to the PC version?
HDR, I'm not sure. 4K was "confirmed" for appropriate consoles, but they say the image will be a 1080p render with nearest-neighbor/integer scaling to preserve certain effects and linework which ends up getting rendered out at too high of a resolution.

All interludes will be included as part of the PC Edition, and they have a new Act select menu that lets you play them at any time. They will also be updating the individual downloads with newly updated builds to be in-line with the final release.

Reactions: Dandy

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I've been interested in this game since forever, but I have to say seeing Annapurna get their grubby little hands on that project worries me.

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
HDR, I'm not sure. 4K was "confirmed" for appropriate consoles, but they say the image will be a 1080p render with nearest-neighbor/integer scaling to preserve certain effects and linework which ends up getting rendered out at too high of a resolution.

All interludes will be included as part of the PC Edition, and they have a new Act select menu that lets you play them at any time. They will also be updating the individual downloads with newly updated builds to be in-line with the final release.
Okay, excellent news. I’m probably going to get the PC version then if the art was “meant to be” displayed at 1080p, unless there is HDR support.

I've been interested in this game since forever, but I have to say seeing Annapurna get their grubby little hands on that project worries me.
The game is already on Steam, so I don’t think you have anything to worry about. 😛

Reactions: lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
First time I will be starting this next week. Looking forward to what all that hype is about.
I heard people say it makes time to take some time between the episodes, so maybe I'll play it over the course of a month, one episode each week

OP
ListeningGarden

ListeningGarden

目をそらした瞬間
Nov 12, 2018
First time I will be starting this next week. Looking forward to what all that hype is about.
I heard people say it makes time to take some time between the episodes, so maybe I'll play it over the course of a month, one episode each week
It's how I recommend it, honestly. Saying this as someone who has had 7 years to let the game's moments and themes ferment in the back of her mind of course, but having at least some time in between acts feels appropriate. Lets the thoughts linger and develop a bit of character - hints of vanilla and almond with a touch of peach and cinnamon on the finish.

An act + the interlude after it a week is a pretty good pace. Will be very interested in your thoughts on each as you get through them!

oh, one more thing ListeningGarden - don't forget about the thread cover pic :)
It's so tinyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ;w;

Reactions: lashman
OP
ListeningGarden

ListeningGarden

目をそらした瞬間
Nov 12, 2018

If anyone was waiting until Tuesday to pick it up, KR0 is currently 30% off as part of the Lunar New Year sale on Steam! Not the historical low, but still a decent discount for picking up the entire thing - Act V, Interludes, general improvements and all!

Reactions: lashman and Dandy
Kentucky Route Zero is now available! + Physical Release Information + Soundtrack
OP
ListeningGarden

ListeningGarden

目をそらした瞬間
Nov 12, 2018

KENTUCKY ROUTE ZERO STAN ACCOUNT
@A_i
6m

KENTUCKY ROUTE ZERO: TV EDITION is now available for Nintendo Switch, PS4, and Xbox One. Experience all five acts and accompanying interludes together in one collection. The PC Edition directly from @cardboardcompy is also available on Steam and other PC + Mac storefronts.

Cardboard Computer
1m

Kentucky Route Zero Act V is now available! This is a major update which also includes the free 'interludes', localization for 8 languages, and more.

Cardboard Computer
1m

It has been an enormous privilege to have you all as an audience for the last 7 years. We hope you enjoy the new edition & Act V. Thank you for playing!

Physical editions for Switch and PS4 are going to be released by iam8bit, who are also handling the OST vinyl and a "secret" vinyl which is in all likelihood the Junebug album announced in 2016. All editions are timed and limited.

Switch pre-order - Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition (Nintendo Switch Physical Edition)
PS4 pre-order - Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition PS4 Physical Game
2xLP OST - Kentucky Route Zero 2xLP Vinyl Soundtrack
1xLP "mystery" OST - Kentucky Route Zero Mystery 1xLP Vinyl

Ben has also uploaded the OST in its entirety to Bandcamp, featuring a brand new remastering for the Act I-IV tracks. PC players will have their old mp3s replaced with newly mastered ones, and the soundtrack will be available on Spotify and other streaming services soon!

Reactions: Mivey and lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Just finished Act 1 and Limits & Demonstrations.

I really like the atmosphere and feel of this game, it's strongly evoking old interactive fiction games, and many of the side adventures you find on the road are essentially tiny IF games. The larger story is still quite a mystery. Given the tone of the game, I have the feeling it's all just a bunch of metaphors and it's not really about simply delivering something to Dogwood Road.

I can't say I'm too hooked into the game yet, More like vaguely intrigued. The interlude was nice, loved to see the three PnP nerds again, and the setting of an art installation is certainly well done. It took me a while to get the connection with Act 1, and I'm still not sure I understand Joseph's backstory 100%, though we did get some interesting glimpses into his life with Lula and Donald, so that's interesting.

As I said, I'll take a week long break until starting Act II.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I bought the first Act about a million years ago, i think i enjoyed it a bit but cant really remember much about it so might give it another go.

Reactions: ListeningGarden

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Finished Act II and The Entertainment yesterday.

Playing this one, I understand why it takes some time to develop each act, as the actual presentation changes in many ways to accommodate the narrative. I really like how it goes back and forth from 2D to 3D scenes, at times giving a sense of actual complex spaces.

The story itself proceeds very slowly, Conway and Shannon get the actual address of Dogwood Drive, and Conway's leg injury is taken care of. Yet we get to understand finally what the Zero is: A mysterious underground route, accessible through a magical entrance. It also houses the mysterious "Bureau of Reclaimed Spaces". The real star in Act II is Lula Chamberlain, who was strongly featured in Limits and Demonstrations, the interlude between Act I and II. While waiting to start her career as an artists, she works by day (or is it night?) as an office clerk. The game generally seems to focus a lot on these personal stories, you get to to talk to or at least hear from many people throughout this act.

I love the magical surrealism so far. How it mixes things from the real world, with things from dreams quite seamlessly.

The Entertainment was most fascinating for the first person perspective, and for giving us more glimpses into Lula and Carrington. The actual play was okay, if fairly boring. Nice twist at the end, though.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Finished Act III and Here and There Along The Echo today

Act III feels to me like the point when the game really comes together. Were before it was mostly interesting due to just doing lots of weird stuff, with this one I feel I understand in a sense what this game is really about. The characters of Conway and Shannon feel more nuanced with each Act, and the new additions from Act II Ezra and Act II, Junebug and Johnny are just great. I really loved that interactive song sequence of hers, Overall, the game has this strange feeling of sadness over it. A lof of great things that could have been, but never did (the story of Lula, Donald and Joseph), Conway who doesn't understand what he will do once this last job is done, and Shannon, trying to find some sense in her past.
Even the more upbeat characters can't really escape this, Ezra being all alone. The closest to actually happy people might be Johnny and Junebug, since they stopped to pretend to make sense of it all and just live as drifters.
Really loved the Xanadu section as well, pure IF nostalgia. The Cave references in this game are, I assume, a gigantic reference to the Collosal Cave Adventure, and Xanadu is the most obvious one yet.
Still many mysteries left, like the Strangers and their ultimate purpose to this game.

Here and There Along the Echo
A great interactive audioplay, in the form of an interactive telephone guide to the Echo River, the setting of Act IV presumably. Absolutely amazing interlude, can really recommend it to anyone with a bit of patience.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Finished Act IV and Un Pueblo de Nada yesterday

Act IV felt like the longest so far, didn't actually finish it in one sitting, but three, though it's also that I played it very late and was fairly tired each time. The group from Act III, that's Conway and Sharron, accompanied by Ezra and the two band members Johnny and Junebug, goes upstream (or is that downstream?) the river Echo, to leave the Route Zero and finally find Dogwood Route. Or is that the goal? Conway is taken over more and more by his deal with the gang from Hard Times, he also took up drinking again, when in Acts I and II he clearly tried to keep it together - even if just for this last job. But after Act III he seems to have completely given up on it. Act IV has probably the most regular structure of all acts so far. You go down the river a bit, hear about some of its strange places, then actually visit another strange place - or stay on board the boat and do something else. I decided to leave the boat each time, as I wanted to find about about River Echo and its places.
It's amazing how each stop feels completely different. Given the loose structure of this game, and how they really try to keep you surprised, it's no wonder this game took many months and years to make.

The themes of loss, money troubles, and an acute sense of nostalgia run deep in this one. I don't really understand if this is a political comment about Kentucky, or rural America in general, or rather just something personal the devs wanted to express and explore. If it is a political comment, then it's remarkable how subtle this game is about it, and how timeless too. No references to current or past events, just a stream of consciousness -esque description of experienced reality.

Un Pueblo De Nada was interesting for two reasons. One it explores Weaver and her strange nature a bit, as a ghost and how she affects so many things in the background of this game. I wonder if the events here are happening at the same time as Act I - when Weaver appeared the first time in the TV.
The other thing were that we saw the musical trio again, but this time as actual people, not semighost like appearances. Guess they run a TV station in their day jobs. Emilys self-critical and insecure thoughts are beautifully contrasted with her non-chalant professional responses. The writing in KRZ is truly superb.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Finished Act V and Death of a Hired Man.

The final act is very different from everything before. Instead of each Act being split into individual chapters, with their own name and introduction, this act takes plays in the same area, which gradually changes as time goes on. Our crew finds themselves in the town with no roads -- mentioned during Here And There Along The Echo. As the name says, it was a quasi-magical place, which was connected to the outside word only via plane. They had a big runway as the only thing resembling a road, and a small plane which brought supplies.

When our crew arrives, it was after a big storm, and torrential rains which lead to a massive flood. The town is greatly damaged, but the worst seems to be the death of two horses, colloquially known as "the Neighbours". These creatures didn't belong to anyone, but instead were in a sense the original residents of the town.
While this description sounds very sad, the actual act - for me - had a positive note. A new, empty house appears - the near-legendary Dogwood Route 5, and our crew decides (or I chose for them to decide) to stay in the town and use the house and the town for their various endeavours. Junebug and Johnny starting a studio. Shannon opening some repair shop, and Ezra reunited with his friend Flora, seemingly staying together in the town.

So on the grave of the old settlement, a new lives begins for our crew. I'm a bit sad though, that nobody seems to mention Conway. Maybe it's because he seems to have given up on them, and everyone wants to avoid the subject.

The final scene, the burial of the Neigbours, is among the most beautiful things I have ever seen in a game, easily. Great ending

Death of a Hired Man, seems a bit strange. It's about how Carrington couldn't perform his play, he also references the ideas you gave him for it throughout the game. In my case it was about holding the play in the Elkhorn Mines. The play is revealed to be about a poem from Robert Frost, the eponymous "Death of a hired Man". The interlude is Carrington and Harry (of the Lower Depths bar) sitting in front of a TV, together with Emily from the ghostly band, and pirate TV station. They talk about an unseen employee of Harry, who wants to help, but Harry seems unwilling to hire him, with Carrington trying to persuade him. They talk about what "home" is, other things.
Having read up on the poem, I get how the irony is that despite the play being cancelled, Carrington still got to perform it without noticing it: The poem is about a pair, husband and wife, talking about hiring some to help them with haymaking, and the husband being, again, unwilling to do so, with the wife trying to persuade him.

It's feels out of place after that effective ending of Act V, feel like the game would be better without this, but maybe that's just me.

Overall, I'm happy to have played it, and thank again ListeningGarden for your great OP, which reminded me of it coming out.

OP
ListeningGarden

ListeningGarden

目をそらした瞬間
Nov 12, 2018
how's everybody doing? make any calls lately? settle up any financial obligations? say any farewells, be them fond or unpalatable?

set aside some time you usually wouldn't give yourself, spend it wisely to shed the numbing cocoon of ennui. i hear there's some pretty good entertainment these days... should any come to mind while reading this, then maybe it's time to indulge a little. enrich that emaciated soul a little. it won't pay the bills, but it will pay dividends of a sort!

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I played through all of this earlier last year, and it did not go down well at all. Still can’t entirely put my finger on why. As a whole the narrative felt very opaque and the pacing of the play was so slow that it came across as very hostile to the player. I think it’d actually have been better if I played an act a year rather than all of it over the course of a few days. I liked a lot of its ideas separately but as a whole it didn’t seem to fit together all that well? Too many seams that felt a little too loose, but perhaps that’s there’s a charm in that that escaped me. I’m also usually not too bothered by fake player agency, but in this game I was. Perhaps I was simply not in the right headspace for this type of experience!

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I played through all of this earlier last year, and it did not go down well at all. Still can’t entirely put my finger on why. As a whole the narrative felt very opaque and the pacing of the play was so slow that it came across as very hostile to the player. I think it’d actually have been better if I played an act a year rather than all of it over the course of a few days. I liked a lot of its ideas separately but as a whole it didn’t seem to fit together all that well? Too many seams that felt a little too loose, but perhaps that’s there’s a charm in that that escaped me. I’m also usually not too bothered by fake player agency, but in this game I was. Perhaps I was simply not in the right headspace for this type of experience!
Playing it all in the span of a few days is not a good choice. One Act a week worked very well for me. You need some time to think and let the game grow on you.
it's definitely an experience that requires active work by the player. of course, not something that's going to work for everyone.

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
This game does an amazing job of capturing appalachia and how kentucky and west virginia actually feel. I wish I knew more about Cardboard Computer's relation to the place.