News Konami Announces 3 different 50th Anniversary Collections (Arcade, Castlevania, and Contra)

Nirvash

Feb 25, 2019
Few things excite me more than "the first Castlevania collection..."

Getting to play some of the 3D games - even if they're inferior to most of the 2D ones - in HD would be really fun. Curious to see what the other four in this batch are, though I'm keeping my expectations pretty standard: SOTN, either Rondo of Blood or Dracula X, (or both!) perhaps Aria of Sorrow? Would be awesome to see at least one of the GBA games here.

itsamiracle

Dec 31, 2018
Yesterday, I was actually thinking if KONAMI will even bother to release an Castlevania collection :face-with-tears-of-joy:. Hopefully the roms will be extractable in order to avoid whatever they'll use for emulation.

Reactions: lashman

KainXVIII

DOS forever!
Dec 19, 2018
$20 each, lol fuck off Konami :minos_sheriff:
Also why is Castlevania 2 is only for GB? Is it better version?

Deleted member 113

Fuck yeah! I'm in for all three!

:wd_hellyeah:

I couldn't be happier. :sf_lovb:

Classic arcade shmups like Gradius? Classic Castlevania games? Classic Contra games?
Yeah, after this, I think I could live without any more games releasing for the rest of the year. :p

And, there's a decent chance we're getting the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection on PC. (y)

Now, if that awesome Darius Cozmic Collection from Taito would be released as well...
I would easily drop hundreds of € for a PC release of that collection.

Each release has 8 games, so it's around $2,5 for each game (with some bonus digital extras).
I actually think it's quite affordable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
$20 for 8 games is too much?

Also only 4 games got revealed for the Castlevania and Contra collections.
NES/Famicom Castlevania 2 isn't liked much, but it has enough fanhacks to improve it.

Curiously enough, Contra has the Arcade Super Contra (Contra 2) and its NES ver., but no NES version of Contra 1, unless they're announcing it later as I wrote.

I am mad hype for these and will aim to make giveaways when I can.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Poison of Snake up in this ish

For such old roms with (supposedly) crappy emulation? Yes it is.
What evidence do you have that the emulation will be bad though? On Steam, should the base roms be extactable, you can play them on your preferred emulator+use fan hacks for a different experience.
The Arcade games are the Hamster Arcade Archive ports which the website even mentions

What's good here is that they are legally available which is most important in this case.

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
Well, this is relevant to my interests... Shmups + contra with a side of castlevania... Sweet...
But its way to expensive for stuff that can be emulated easily.
Will buy on sale

I would pay big bucks for Gradius 5 tho... But that would mean some effort from Konami, so that won't happen

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Well, this is relevant to my interests... Shmups + contra with a side of castlevania... Sweet...
But its way to expensive for stuff that can be emulated easily.
Will buy on sale

I would pay big bucks for Gradius 5 tho... But that would mean some effort from Konami, so that won't happen
Can these easily emulated game be easily purchased officially anywhere online?

Deleted member 113

Considering the Castlevania collection seems heavy on the 8-bit/16-bit era, I'm guessing/hoping the 8 games featured will be:

-Castlevania (NES)
-Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
-Castlevania: The Adventure (GB)
-Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
-Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (GB)
-Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
-Castlevania: Bloodlines (Mega Drive/Genesis)
-Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES)

This would mean all the main Castlevania games up to 1995 would be included, except the arcade game Haunted Castle (which is part of the Arcade collection), and a couple of ports of some of these games, and except Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, but I fully expect this one to be released with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night as a two-pack sooner or later.
Or, Konami will exclude Dracula X, and include Rondo of Blood. Either way, I can't wait!

Deleted member 113

I only just noticed that the Castlevania collection's description implies it's only the first one, meaning more will follow.
How awesome is it that we may have a big portion of the Castlevania franchise easily available on PC before the year is over? (y)

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
as long as they're coming - that's fine with me ... i really do hope we'll get all of them eventually ... including the DS games
Concerns on the NDS games and how they'd work without a 2nd screen are unneeded.
One need only list what the touch screen on the DS is used for in these games, assign them to numbers on a keyboard, then from there re-assign them to work via buttons.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Not a big fan of these games, but I still want them. Castlevania 4 is great, and Contra is fun with friends. Here's hoping they eventually port every game in these series.

Deleted member 113

Concerns on the NDS games and how they'd work without a 2nd screen are unneeded.
One need only list what the touch screen on the DS is used for in these games, assign them to numbers on a keyboard, then from there re-assign them to work via buttons.
The 2nd screen is barely used. It usually displayed the map, or items/enemies information.
Dawn of Sorrow tried to add a gimmicky use for the touchscreen, by using the drawing of a seal to trap the enemies, but this was thankfully abandoned for Portrait of Ruin, and Order of Ecclesia.

Deleted member 113

on PC? nope
Thanks. ;)

I don't want to repeat the devil's Epic's name once again, because screw them, but since I literally have some extra funds on my wallet thanks to them (the refund from the Phoenix Point crowdfunding campaign), I was going to use them to pre-order these releases.
Oh well, Phoenix Wright it is. :giggle:

TheLetdown

A six-pack of letdown.
Oct 30, 2018
Considering the Castlevania collection seems heavy on the 8-bit/16-bit era, I'm guessing/hoping the 8 games featured will be:

-Castlevania (NES)
-Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
-Castlevania: The Adventure (GB)
-Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
-Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (GB)
-Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
-Castlevania: Bloodlines (Mega Drive/Genesis)
-Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES)

This would mean all the main Castlevania games up to 1995 would be included, except the arcade game Haunted Castle (which is part of the Arcade collection), and a couple of ports of some of these games, and except Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, but I fully expect this one to be released with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night as a two-pack sooner or later.
Or, Konami will exclude Dracula X, and include Rondo of Blood. Either way, I can't wait!
I wouldn't hate that list as it is, but I missed out on Rondo of Blood and I"m totally due for a SOTN replay, so those would be great.

Future forays into more recent handheld games would be solid, too.

Deleted member 113

I wouldn't hate that list as it is, but I missed out on Rondo of Blood and I"m totally due for a SOTN replay, so those would be great.

Future forays into more recent handheld games would be solid, too.
Yeah, I would love to have Rondo and SOTN included, but considering the number of games, and the fact that those two are already available on the PS4 as a two-pack, I'm guessing they may not be included.

The good news is that the website clearly says it's the first compilation of Castlevania games, implying that more will come, so I'm hoping we may get those two, and the portable games, in the future.

I'm crazy about Aria of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia, so I'm hoping they are part of a future release, so that more people can get to play them. :)

Deleted member 113

A small update: Tizoc discovered that the Rating Summary for the Castlevania Anniversary Collection all but confirms the inclusion of Castlevania: Bloodlines. (y)

So, only 3 games remain undiscovered.

Reactions: QFNS and lashman

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Throw in Harmony of Despair into this collection, please.

And the next one could have all the Igavanias and I’ll instantly buy it.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
SOTN or bust
Throw in Harmony of Despair into this collection, please.

And the next one could have all the Igavanias and I’ll instantly buy it.
Someone on Era posted how this collection could focus on the classicvania set of games, if not era, and the next collection could feature metroidvania, of which Castlevania 2 NES is a precursor of. This could explain its exclusion.

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Yeah, I’ve seen the suggestions or requests that this first collection focus on the classic style. Which means I’d likely largely ignore it and just keep waiting. I much prefer the Igavania style and would enjoy playing all of them again.

Who knows, maybe the second collection will be 3D with the Nintendo 64 games (add both versions to fluff up the number of titles), two PS2, two Lords of Shadow, the handheld 3D game and the Wii fighter.

Deleted member 113

To those that have bought it already, would you mind checking if the ROM files are accessible?
It doesn't appear to be the case.

All I see is ".tex" files for pretty much everything, except sound files that are presented as ".se" files.

Reactions: Arulan and lashman

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
No separate thread for the console announcement but the PC Engine mini looks awesome and even comes with YS I-II !

Reactions: Deleted member 113