|OT| League of Legends esports | Seize today, and you've earned tomorrow.

Sampson

boop
Dec 11, 2018

League of Legends is one of the most popular video games in the world, with one of the most popular esports scenes in the industry. The official numbers reported for the 2018 League World Championship claimed 99.6 million unique viewers, 44 million concurrent peak viewers, and an average of 19.6 million viewers per minute. The game and the esports scene are mindbogglingly popular, especially in Korea and China, which have viewership numbers alone that basically dwarf other entire esports scenes on their own.

Commensurate with the game's explosive popularity, the known places for fans to congregate like /r/LeagueOfLegends are gigantic, but the esports scene doesn't get nearly as much attention as it probably should on more core-focused gaming sites like Era, /r/games, gaming news outlets, etc. Hopefully we can make sure Metacouncil doesn't fall into that trap of ignoring one of the most important games/esports with this thread.

Sure you say, we basically all know League is huge. But why should we care?
  • One, because the game is pretty darn exciting to watch, and the scene is filled with some vibrant, fun personalities.
  • Two, because the esports team that Riot employs (together with the art teams that work/contract for the game in general) puts together some of the dopest, most effortful, fun production in the esports industry.

(North America) LCS: 1/26/19
(Europe) LEC: 1/18/19
(Korea) LCK: 1/16/19
(China) LPL: 1/14/19
(Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macao) LMS: 1/17/19
(Brazil) CBLOL: 1/12/19
(Russia) LCL: 2/16/19
(Japan) LJL: 1/19/19
(Vietnam) VCS: 1/17/19
(Latin America) LLA: 1/19/19
(Oceania) OPL: 1/18/19
(SE Asia) SEA Tour: ?
(Turkey) TCL: 1/19/19

The basic format is Spring Season -> Spring Playoffs -> Playoff winners of each region invited to the Mid-Season Invitational -> Summer Season -> Summer Playoffs -> Summer winners qualifies for the 2019 World Championship.

There are a few extra intricacies to that basic format that might be a little confusing, but nothing too major, assuming nothing else changes format this year (which it could!).

I'm only really familiar with the League scenes within NA/EU/KR/CN, so I'm just going to cover those in the most detail. In descending order links (where available) should take you to the regional league homepage, the team website, and the Twitch pages for each player.

EDIT: Okay, at this point I'm a little less than halfway through the NA teams and already running out of things to say, and this is taking way too long. These descriptions will be shorter than I thought, and/or added to later.
If you're not from one of these regions, you can find each league's respective info here:

• Q: Isn't this the game run by some people that had some massive workplace environment scandal last year?
    • A: Yes, LoL is run by Riot. For all the problems with the actual company, the esports scene seems to be fairly well run. Instances of harassment and toxic behavior seem to have been (generally) dealt with quickly and fairly appropriately. If the esports side of the game has any issues, it's been with making sure the teams are providing adequate resources/pay/etc, with a few notable scandals, mostly outside of the major regions though.
  • Q: Isn't [insert player] someone with [insert bad behavior or bad ideas]?
    • A: It's certainly likely that there are a few players with some bad reputations or histories, but I don't think that's necessarily unique compared to what you'd find in mainstream sports. Their inclusion in this OP, if any are there, should not be understood as an endorsement of their behavior.
  • Q: What are the variations you mentioned to the format of the esports season?
    • A: It has to do with how the season is played and who qualifies to what part of the World Championship, if their qualification is direct or indirect. Some leagues play "Best of One," some play "Best of Threes." The winners of the Summer Season from the major regions do qualify directly to the World Championship, and the leaders in overall points from both seasons also qualify directly from LCK, LPL, LEC, LCS and LMS. The winner of the Regional Finals from the LCK qualifies directly to the World Championship as well.
    • The final spots in the World Championship are determined by the play-in stage which is the more indirect qualification, where the CBLOL, LCL, LLA, TCL, LJL, OPL, SEA Summer champions as well as the winners of the Regional Finals from the four other major regions (LPL, LEC, LCS, LMS) fight for four remaining spots.
  • Q: Where can I get spoiler-free links to VODS?
  • Q: Where is the OT title from?
    • A: From a champion's (Illaoi) in-game quotes.
  • Q: I want to learn more about how to play the game, and the history of the esports scene, where do I start?
    • A: Obviously, YouTube is the place to go, but ask if you have a specific question and I'm sure people will have advice.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
whoa, that's an awesome OT! :)

(don't forget about the cover - to make it official-er :p)
Post automatically merged:

also - paging zkylon ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sampson
OP
Sampson

Sampson

boop
Dec 11, 2018
Highjacking this thread, anyone follows the CSGO scene?
I watch events like DreamHack every once in a while when I happen across a stream for some reason, but for the most part no. It's one of those things I'd like to watch, but it's hard to keep up with so many esports.

Reactions: Gevin and lashman

zkylon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOxkGD8qRB4
Nov 2, 2018
i'll try to post stuff here

really excited for the new skt, if they do well on the summer split i might think about going to worlds again this year

Highjacking this thread, anyone follows the CSGO scene?
nah, i like it better than overwatch but i never could get into other games

Reactions: Sampson and lashman
OP
Sampson

Sampson

boop
Dec 11, 2018
i'll try to post stuff here

really excited for the new skt, if they do well on the summer split i might think about going to worlds again this year
I'm really excited to see how good DAMWON really is.

But new SKT should be popping as well.

I'm also interested to see if TL actually built a superteam this time, or if they'll fall apart again.

Reactions: lashman

zkylon

Nov 2, 2018
I'm really excited to see how good DAMWON really is.

But new SKT should be popping as well.

I'm also interested to see if TL actually built a superteam this time, or if they'll fall apart again.
yeah i want both damwon and griffin to do well, after kingzone blew up and kt blew up and skt blew up, it's time for new blood

and faker ofc

OP
Sampson

Sampson

boop
Dec 11, 2018
Gen. G isn't the best opponent, nor is Jin Air, but Damwon and SKT looked fairly legit today.

Maxi

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Great OT! I watched the SKT matches last night.

Decent showing from SKT but some minor mechanical misplays here and there but looking well coached to stick to their gameplan even if not everything goes their way in the early game. I felt sorry for Khan and the amount he was getting bullied. Fakers Urgot did it's job but didn't seem as impactful as other players in previous patches but I'm not sure if that is due to the meta or not. He did make some odd decisions which seemed more like bait which ended up working out for SKT.

Hoping to catch up on the other VODs today!

OP
Sampson

Sampson

boop
Dec 11, 2018
Great OT! I watched the SKT matches last night.

Decent showing from SKT but some minor mechanical misplays here and there but looking well coached to stick to their gameplan even if not everything goes their way in the early game. I felt sorry for Khan and the amount he was getting bullied. Fakers Urgot did it's job but didn't seem as impactful as other players in previous patches but I'm not sure if that is due to the meta or not. He did make some odd decisions which seemed more like bait which ended up working out for SKT.

Hoping to catch up on the other VODs today!
I could be wrong, but I don't recall him playing Urgot last year in pro play. It might be the meta, or it might just be that he's not super practiced with the champ right now. He also only seems to have played it around ten times in preseason SoloQ as well.

I assume the pick had a lot to do with being able to flex Ryze/Urgot around the map if they needed to, based on JAG's picks.

Excited for the first day of LEC tomorrow!

zkylon

Nov 2, 2018
skt doing well is nice, and griffin is so entertaining to watch!

i liked the season intro but i don't like the hype videos much and i think this art looks really bad???

OP
Sampson

Sampson

boop
Dec 11, 2018
Over 400,000 were watching various LEC channels today between YouTube and Twitch for the Fnatic/SK Gaming match.

Game is still huge as ever.

zkylon

Nov 2, 2018
i wasn't a big fan of the video at first but it grew on me

better characterizations than usual for the characters and gosh riven and camille are amazing

Maxi

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Fullon Anime hype trailer:
SKT was still looking good in their games but nearly all of the Korean matches felt pretty close until one smallish midgame skirmish blows the game open. All of the teams are looking fairly decent to be honest and quite a bit of well coordinated teamplay rather than super carries taking over the game.

Need to check out some highlights from the other regions as I've got no idea how they are looking in this meta.

OP
Sampson

Sampson

boop
Dec 11, 2018
Fullon Anime hype trailer:
SKT was still looking good in their games but nearly all of the Korean matches felt pretty close until one smallish midgame skirmish blows the game open. All of the teams are looking fairly decent to be honest and quite a bit of well coordinated teamplay rather than super carries taking over the game.

Need to check out some highlights from the other regions as I've got no idea how they are looking in this meta.
this is just trying to convince me that the inting Yasuo on my team is a cute anime grill.

I will not be suckered in by this obvious Yasuo propaganda.

OP
Sampson

Sampson

boop
Dec 11, 2018
Forgot to bump this thread. The current state of the leagues globally are interesting.
  • Griffin is still genuinely smurfing in LCK. It’s actually gotten to the point where it’s almost boring to watch. Pretty much the only reason I watch is to see what happens to Chovy’s KDA. The arrival of Griffin and even other teams like SANDBOX and DAMWON have really shaken the league up. It’s great.
  • G2 is also pretty much smurfing LEC, even if they finally lost a game. I don’t think they would have lost a series if they were actually playing a format with competitive integrity like BO3. The league seems competitive, and lots of teams vying for top spots behind G2, while providing interesting, action-packed games.
  • TL is still the obvious pack leader of LCS, but I don’t think there’s any argument that they’re anywhere near as dominant as the other league leaders like G2 or Griffin. For all the midlane improvements they’ve made (Jensen), it still seems like they play through botlane. CoreJJ is awesome and seems to fit well with Doublelift. Honestly, as an NA resident, the quality of play and pace of play in LCS seems miserable and disappointing.
  • FunPlus leading the LPL surprises me actually, but I don't really know that much about the scene to be honest. It seems like Doinb is shot calling, which is pretty impressive, since he's doing it in his non-native language. Seems like any of the top 4-5 teams could end up at the top though, which is pretty exciting for a competitive league.
  • LMS isn't that interesting to me now that the superteam of Flash Wolves has been picked apart by teams outside the league. J-Team and Mad Wolves picking up the slack isn't that surprising honestly either.
  • In the OPL, it's pretty shocking turnaround to see Dire Wolves go from the undisputed top team, to literal bottom of the league fodder, but like Flash Wolves, guess that's what happens when your roster disintegrates.
  • Rest of the leagues are pretty uninteresting to me as well. The only mildly interesting one with some juicy drama is LCL, and that's because they have their whole controversy with having allowed an unqualified, all-female roster into the league that's getting absolutely destroyed.
Can't wait to see the new Kayle in pro-play soon!

zkylon

Nov 2, 2018
been only following lck but i've been having a lot of fun with it

i think griffin is so fun to watch and skt is showing up, i feel faker giving some real brilliance i've missed from him for the last year

i hear LEC is really fun to watch, got some recommended games?

OP
Sampson

Sampson

boop
Dec 11, 2018
been only following lck but i've been having a lot of fun with it

i think griffin is so fun to watch and skt is showing up, i feel faker giving some real brilliance i've missed from him for the last year

i hear LEC is really fun to watch, got some recommended games?
In terms of upcoming games, the G2 vs Schalke game tomorrow should be pretty great: The best team in Europe against one of the next best.

Vitality vs Spylce tomorrow should be solid as well, as its a match between two of the teams trying to cement their place near the top of the standings.

If you want to see an awesome display of dominance that you might have missed, the G2 vs Fnatic game was a European record for speed.

Honestly, I've enjoyed most of the LEC games I've watched outside of the ones with Rogue and SK in them simply since those teams are so horrendous. Hard to go super wrong.

zkylon

Nov 2, 2018
i still don't get how fnatic fell this hard, what the hell happened

OP
Sampson

Sampson

boop
Dec 11, 2018
i still don't get how fnatic fell this hard, what the hell happened
There's a lot of more qualified analysis out there, but my personal speculation is:
  • They're losing ground in their drafts, which tells me that their former head coach Dylan Falco (coincidentally, now coach of Schalke who is tied for 2nd and 7-3) might have been more important than he got credit for.
  • Nemesis isn't completely comfortable yet, and he also seems to be getting put on champs that he's not super adept with.
  • Caps being gone is a bigger loss than they let on. People last year memed about how it was sometimes "Claps or Craps" that appeared on stage. But even so, I think his ability to pop-off forced teams to invest a lot of resources into trying to stop him. So even in games where it looked like he was "Craps," all the pressure he absorbed meant that Broxah had free jungle pressure to go help Bwipo and bot-side as much as he wanted. Which meant they would win anyways.
  • Similarly, I think Soaz's departure was massively understated. Even if Bwipo was the heir apparent to the top lane, having Soaz around provided them a veteran presence, a rock that they could rely on if a sub was needed and a flex option if they wanted to put him Top and have Bwipo swap in for Rekkles in the bot-lane. And just like how SKT used to have two junglers that could provide each other insights (Bengi and Blank I think?), Bwipo no longer has Soaz to provide him veteran tips and bounce any ideas off of anymore. All of that, the flexibility especially, is gone now.
There's probably more to it than that, and just fixing their draft could probably paper over most of the issues. But they had a ton of stuff happen to them in the offseason, and I don't think anyone really appreciated how important it all was until they started tanking.

OP
Sampson

Sampson

boop
Dec 11, 2018
lmao, we have the new season record for fastest game:

It literally takes me longer to beat Hard Bots for my First Win of the Day mission.

In more serious games, CG vs 100T yesterday was an actual mess:

And watching G2 troll away a lead was pretty hilarious as well:

OP
Sampson

Sampson

boop
Dec 11, 2018
wow

also lots of outstanding lck series lately

griffin vs skt
skt vs kt
Yes, Griffin vs SKT was possibly one of the greatest series in years.

Worth watching for anyone interested:

Game 3 in particular, the last ten minutes are insane and tense.