|OT| League of Legends esports | Seize today, and you've earned tomorrow.

Dec 11, 2018

League of Legends is one of the most popular video games in the world, with one of the most popular esports scenes in the industry. The official numbers reported for the 2018 League World Championship claimed 99.6 million unique viewers, 44 million concurrent peak viewers, and an average of 19.6 million viewers per minute. The game and the esports scene are mindbogglingly popular, especially in Korea and China, which have viewership numbers alone that basically dwarf other entire esports scenes on their own.

Commensurate with the game's explosive popularity, the known places for fans to congregate like /r/LeagueOfLegends are gigantic, but the esports scene doesn't get nearly as much attention as it probably should on more core-focused gaming sites like Era, /r/games, gaming news outlets, etc. Hopefully we can make sure Metacouncil doesn't fall into that trap of ignoring one of the most important games/esports with this thread.

Sure you say, we basically all know League is huge. But why should we care?
  • One, because the game is pretty darn exciting to watch, and the scene is filled with some vibrant, fun personalities.
  • Two, because the esports team that Riot employs (together with the art teams that work/contract for the game in general) puts together some of the dopest, most effortful, fun production in the esports industry.

(North America) LCS: 1/26/19
(Europe) LEC: 1/18/19
(Korea) LCK: 1/16/19
(China) LPL: 1/14/19
(Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macao) LMS: 1/17/19
(Brazil) CBLOL: 1/12/19
(Russia) LCL: 2/16/19
(Japan) LJL: 1/19/19
(Vietnam) VCS: 1/17/19
(Latin America) LLA: 1/19/19
(Oceania) OPL: 1/18/19
(SE Asia) SEA Tour: ?
(Turkey) TCL: 1/19/19

The basic format is Spring Season -> Spring Playoffs -> Playoff winners of each region invited to the Mid-Season Invitational -> Summer Season -> Summer Playoffs -> Summer winners qualifies for the 2019 World Championship.

There are a few extra intricacies to that basic format that might be a little confusing, but nothing too major, assuming nothing else changes format this year (which it could!).

I'm only really familiar with the League scenes within NA/EU/KR/CN, so I'm just going to cover those in the most detail. In descending order links (where available) should take you to the regional league homepage, the team website, and the Twitch pages for each player.

EDIT: Okay, at this point I'm a little less than halfway through the NA teams and already running out of things to say, and this is taking way too long. These descriptions will be shorter than I thought, and/or added to later.
If you're not from one of these regions, you can find each league's respective info here:

• Q: Isn't this the game run by some people that had some massive workplace environment scandal last year?
    • A: Yes, LoL is run by Riot. For all the problems with the actual company, the esports scene seems to be fairly well run. Instances of harassment and toxic behavior seem to have been (generally) dealt with quickly and fairly appropriately. If the esports side of the game has any issues, it's been with making sure the teams are providing adequate resources/pay/etc, with a few notable scandals, mostly outside of the major regions though.
  • Q: Isn't [insert player] someone with [insert bad behavior or bad ideas]?
    • A: It's certainly likely that there are a few players with some bad reputations or histories, but I don't think that's necessarily unique compared to what you'd find in mainstream sports. Their inclusion in this OP, if any are there, should not be understood as an endorsement of their behavior.
  • Q: What are the variations you mentioned to the format of the esports season?
    • A: It has to do with how the season is played and who qualifies to what part of the World Championship, if their qualification is direct or indirect. Some leagues play "Best of One," some play "Best of Threes." The winners of the Summer Season from the major regions do qualify directly to the World Championship, and the leaders in overall points from both seasons also qualify directly from LCK, LPL, LEC, LCS and LMS. The winner of the Regional Finals from the LCK qualifies directly to the World Championship as well.
    • The final spots in the World Championship are determined by the play-in stage which is the more indirect qualification, where the CBLOL, LCL, LLA, TCL, LJL, OPL, SEA Summer champions as well as the winners of the Regional Finals from the four other major regions (LPL, LEC, LCS, LMS) fight for four remaining spots.
  • Q: Where can I get spoiler-free links to VODS?
  • Q: Where is the OT title from?
    • A: From a champion's (Illaoi) in-game quotes.
  • Q: I want to learn more about how to play the game, and the history of the esports scene, where do I start?
    • A: Obviously, YouTube is the place to go, but ask if you have a specific question and I'm sure people will have advice.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
whoa, that's an awesome OT! :)

(don't forget about the cover - to make it official-er :p)
Post automatically merged:

also - paging zkylon ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sampson
Dec 11, 2018
Highjacking this thread, anyone follows the CSGO scene?
I watch events like DreamHack every once in a while when I happen across a stream for some reason, but for the most part no. It's one of those things I'd like to watch, but it's hard to keep up with so many esports.

zkylon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOxkGD8qRB4
Nov 2, 2018
i'll try to post stuff here

really excited for the new skt, if they do well on the summer split i might think about going to worlds again this year

Highjacking this thread, anyone follows the CSGO scene?
nah, i like it better than overwatch but i never could get into other games

OP
OP
Sampson
Dec 11, 2018
i'll try to post stuff here

really excited for the new skt, if they do well on the summer split i might think about going to worlds again this year
I'm really excited to see how good DAMWON really is.

But new SKT should be popping as well.

I'm also interested to see if TL actually built a superteam this time, or if they'll fall apart again.

zkylon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOxkGD8qRB4
Nov 2, 2018
I'm really excited to see how good DAMWON really is.

But new SKT should be popping as well.

I'm also interested to see if TL actually built a superteam this time, or if they'll fall apart again.
yeah i want both damwon and griffin to do well, after kingzone blew up and kt blew up and skt blew up, it's time for new blood

and faker ofc

Nov 12, 2018
Great OT! I watched the SKT matches last night.

Decent showing from SKT but some minor mechanical misplays here and there but looking well coached to stick to their gameplan even if not everything goes their way in the early game. I felt sorry for Khan and the amount he was getting bullied. Fakers Urgot did it's job but didn't seem as impactful as other players in previous patches but I'm not sure if that is due to the meta or not. He did make some odd decisions which seemed more like bait which ended up working out for SKT.

Hoping to catch up on the other VODs today!

OP
OP
Sampson
Dec 11, 2018
Great OT! I watched the SKT matches last night.

Decent showing from SKT but some minor mechanical misplays here and there but looking well coached to stick to their gameplan even if not everything goes their way in the early game. I felt sorry for Khan and the amount he was getting bullied. Fakers Urgot did it's job but didn't seem as impactful as other players in previous patches but I'm not sure if that is due to the meta or not. He did make some odd decisions which seemed more like bait which ended up working out for SKT.

Hoping to catch up on the other VODs today!
I could be wrong, but I don't recall him playing Urgot last year in pro play. It might be the meta, or it might just be that he's not super practiced with the champ right now. He also only seems to have played it around ten times in preseason SoloQ as well.

I assume the pick had a lot to do with being able to flex Ryze/Urgot around the map if they needed to, based on JAG's picks.

Excited for the first day of LEC tomorrow!