News LEFT ALIVE - Through the Warzone – 14 Minutes of Gameplay

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

Through the eyes of all three main characters, take a look at how every step and decision made will make or break your way through the dangerous warzone of Novo Slava. Available on PlayStation4 and STEAM on March 5th, 2019.

The MECH EDITION is available for pre-order exclusively on the Square Enix Online Store in very limited quantities. The DAY ONE EDITION is now also available for pre-purchase on PlayStation Store and STEAM.

Veteran developers, Toshifumi Nabeshima (director, Armored Core series), Yoji Shinkawa from KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS (character designer, METAL GEAR series), and Takayuki Yanase (mech designer, Ghost in the Shell: Arise, Mobile Suit Gundam 00, Xenoblade Chronicles X) join forces to create LEFT ALIVE’s dark and gritty world.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
They keep releasing videos that don't show anything new. They totally ruined any impact the end of the video could have had by putting the music over it so you can barely hear the Wanzers fighting. But I'm still excited, I really hope the campaign/overall gameplay delivers as the basics seem pretty good, like a mix of MGSV with the more toned down/realistic take of Splinter Cell to emphasize stealth and tactics over going Rambo Snake style. A lower budget too though.

Reactions: lashman

TheVectronic

The Wondering Scribe
Oct 31, 2018
Puerto Rico
Left Alive is such an interesting title coming this year that I just want to sink my teeth into when it shows up. I do agree with Alextended that they should show new stuff, though I'm positive that we're getting that.

Hero Prinny

Dec 14, 2018
It looks pretty good tbh. Not $60 good, but good. I’ll pick it up when its like $30 assuming its not a complete mess on pc

Tart Toter 9k

Jan 7, 2019
I'd love to give this a go, but the release date being so close to both DMC and Sekiro is making it very difficult to grab it, especially at that price point. I'll have to wait and see how it looks and possibly pick it up in a sale later down the line.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Its budget shows, but the gameplay looks solid. I think I'll grab this one and play it once I'm through with DMC5.

Nirvash

Feb 25, 2019
It looks pretty good tbh. Not $60 good, but good. I’ll pick it up when its like $30 assuming its not a complete mess on pc
Yeah this is exactly how I feel. I know I'll have a lot of fun with it, but I work part time and that release date is sandwiched between two games I'm already struggling to choose between (DMC5 and DOA6). I'm certain the price will drop pretty quick too.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Haha, it really looks like a lower budget MGSV style game here. As long as it's a nice self contained yet full experience (even if shorter) I'm so in :)

I like how Japanese games take one theme and drill it into your skull with constant metaphors and references.

Game title.

Dude directly telling you you're just responsible for surviving and saving civilians now things went to shit.

Likely a ton of other references throughout the game's dialogue and overall plot :p

Last edited:

Deleted member 113

Well, I'm on board. :)
I love these "B games", high on ambition, but without a budget to match.

Green Man Gaming currently has it with a 20% discount, which I believe is the lowest the game has been until now, so I pre-ordered it.

Deleted member 113

Just a few more hours until launch!

:wd_hellyeah:

I'm very curious to check out this game.
Everything I've been seeing points to an enjoyable, janky, "b-movie"-like game.
I know it's not what a lot of people expected, but I'm a sucker for these lower-budget, clunky games.
It looks like an older generation game in terms of mechanics, with modern graphics.

TheVectronic

The Wondering Scribe
Oct 31, 2018
Puerto Rico
That's some clunky gameplay.

I'll be waiting for the official thread when lashman & others will be complaining that not only does it have Denuvo, streaming, recording or screenshotting in the console is restricted across the board because of bad reviews.

It's bad, & it's just getting started...

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Okay, i've been ignoring this game because i keep thinking it's some online/co-op thingy but seeing it's an SP game has me interested and seeing it's a little bit janky has me very interested. I like me some rough edges on games so i'll be keeping an eye out for reviews etc as long as it's a solid 7+ i'll probably get it, hell if it's a 6 and i don't mind the issues that are mentioned then i'll probably get it anyway.

I just hope if it's a bit broken it has heart rather than a broken soulless mess.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I played this a little bit. I've not seen anything really bad to justify the overwhelmingly negative user reviews yet. It's definitely lacking technically, I have to lock this to 30fps and maybe later on I will also have to reduce settings if the frame rate is reduced to a crawl when shit hits the fan (say when some Wanzer is chasing you and wreaking havoc all around you). If it was running at a silky smooth 60fps like MGSV easily did I'd be fine with its graphics and think it's pretty great overall but at such a reduced framerate it's passable. Either way it's not a problem unless performance does drop further later on.

Mechanically it's something like a cross between Splinter Cell (Blacklist I guess) and pre-V Metal Gear Solid games. Like, this could be on PSP like Peace Walker since it also limits your movements. You can't go prone for example, only duck with the common waist height cover objects and such. At the same time it has very much a reliance on crafting gadgets (maybe like MG Survive? I never tried that) you will need to use if you hope to make it through a fight.

There's no instant-win stealth kill, it took me a full 3-hit combo with a crowbar I found laying around to take someone unaware down from behind and another strike to finish him off. I don't know how it would go if I tried to use the standard melee attack you can do while holding a gun. With that in mind enemies will inevitably be alerted if you try to take more than one on if there's no full-stealth way around in that particular path or whatever. And since they have so much better gear you better use all your crafted items, from tripmines to RC explosives, Molotovs and all sorts of other things.

There's also no radar or mark enemies to see them through walls or whatever, so far they're only marked if in-camera and close enough and there's a crafted gadget that you throw and it reveals enemies nearby but it also doesn't last forever. You'd have seen that in some of the trailers for sure. There's also a vague directional warning shown when they're near or closing in, I'm not exactly sure of the limits, maybe it's a bit like the MGS: Portable Ops sound based radar?

So all that makes it fundamentally different to other games like MGS and even Splinter Cell which some may have expected it to be a clone of (that's what I thought too, maybe I'd have even preferred it as such) which is why some of them trash it so hard with barely any play time. Plus the game kinda throws you off the deep end, I just reached a point (see it in the first screenshot) where I'll definitely have to utilize gadgets and early weapons I found to proceed as I can't find a way around the enemies and I'm only a few minutes in the game with it still popping tutorials up as I find a new object or element. And it's not like I have a ton of stuff to craft said items with at this point, I'll probably run out of stuff if I use them in dumb ways while trying to figure it all out.

I also died once already by alerting enemies in a very disadvantageous position earlier on when the game was tunneling me in a different area but I wanted to grab some items I saw near the enemies, ha. During that I also found the first pistol you start with takes several shots to down the enemies, they seem fully armored up on top of having the firepower and numbers against you. I actually ran out of ammo while trying to fend them off at that point, took a few down, then had to take the ammo they dropped but the last dude got me anyway as I ran out again and couldn't get close enough for melee using the available cover (almost did it with a final daring leap off some boxes in front of him but he got me mid air haha).

I can't say if it's worthwhile for sure of course, maybe some of the negative reviews with actual play time are right to trash it as the content, mission design, encounter design, fiddly mechanics for the necessary gadgets or whatever else, could be pretty bad all things considered but with what I have seen so far I think the game has good ideas, decent implementations of them outside the actual performance of the game and seems pretty nicely done so far.

I'd guess for now it's most wise to simply wait and see what's gonna be the consensus from people giving it a real chance once the dust settles down.

As for people trashing the game as an insult to the series just because it's not a "real Front Mission" when it doesn't even pretend to be since it doesn't have the Front Mission name maybe they should get educated on that the very second ever Front Mission entry was the damn cool Front Mission: Gun Hazard.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
According to the thread on Era this is not reviewing that well. Shame but i need to read the gripes before i decide NOT to jump in. I mean, i'm one of the people who was enjoying "Raven's Cry" before it's relaunch after some serious polish as "Vendetta: Raven's Cry".

It's getting 5's and stuff, hmm, might be below even my Jank threshold but i'm still tempted. PC for mods or PS4 for cheap... decisions, decisions.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
According to the thread on Era this is not reviewing that well. Shame but i need to read the gripes before i decide NOT to jump in. I mean, i'm one of the people who was enjoying "Raven's Cry" before it's relaunch after some serious polish as "Vendetta: Raven's Cry".

It's getting 5's and stuff, hmm, might be below even my Jank threshold but i'm still tempted. PC for mods or PS4 for cheap... decisions, decisions.
apparently it's still enjoyable regardless ... † Echo † is playing (and enjoying) it ... and i think Jawmuncher is as well

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Deleted member 113

apparently it's still enjoyable regardless ... † Echo † is playing (and enjoying) it ... and i think Jawmuncher is as well
And if I have time, I'm giving it a go as well this weekend.

I'm the guy who played, finished, and had a blast with Vampire Rain, while every publication was labelling it the worse game of the year, so I can't say I particularly care about poor reviews. :giggle:
They rarely align with my tastes.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
And if I have time, I'm giving it a go as well this weekend.

I'm the guy who played, finished, and had a blast with Vampire Rain, while every publication was labelling it the worse game of the year, so I can't say I particularly care about poor reviews. :giggle:
They rarely align with my tastes.
yeah, same ... i mean - i still watch/read reviews ... but they have absolutely no bearing on my decision to play anything ... i already know if i want to play the game or not the moment i see the first few screenshots or a trailer, that's all i really need to make a decision

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
OK, I'm in. What platform did you lot go with?
I can get it for £35 for PS4 from Base.Com.

Deleted member 113

yeah, same ... i mean - i still watch/read reviews ... but they have absolutely no bearing on my decision to play anything ... i already know if i want to play the game or not the moment i see the first few screenshots or a trailer, that's all i really need to make a decision
I'm on the same boat. If I see a bit of gameplay, or some screenshots, and the concept or look attracts my attention, or the gameplay seems fun, I'm buying the game, and I couldn't care less if reviews are poor or not.

I'm more likely to use reviews to discover a game I may have missed, than to decide if I'm buying or not a game I'm already aware of.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I'm on the same boat. If I see a bit of gameplay, or some screenshots, and the concept or look attracts my attention, or the gameplay seems fun, I'm buying the game, and I couldn't care less if reviews are poor or not.

I'm more likely to use reviews to discover a game I may have missed, than to decide if I'm buying or not a game I'm already aware of.
if i paid attention to reviews (or score aggregates) i would've never played Deadly Premonition ... nuff said

Deleted member 113

if i paid attention to reviews (or score aggregates) i would've never played Deadly Premonition ... nuff said
The last time I listened to reviews, I bought GTA IV... :cautious:
Let's just say I didn't click with the game at all.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Same here with RDR2, i knew it wasn't going to be for me but i got it anyway. Played it for a few hours and just kind of drifted away. Every now and then i have to buy into the hype for some of these AAA games but 9 times out of 10 i'm left cold and go back to playing my AA or below games instead.

edit: Heckin' Fell, the exe is 300+mb, that's gotta be Denuvo. My first Denuvo game and it's this one. lol
I'll spin it up later on i need to get some food and stuff before "Die Another Friday" starts, in fact i'll probably start it between DAF and UPF on Giant Bomb.

Last edited: