Discussion Let's talk about FF7 Remake (Open Spoilers for full game)

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I finished it a few hours ago and wanted to talk about it with others who have finished it. I know this is a heavy PC place so I fully expect the real discussion to be in a year or so but at least I'll have my thoughts down while it's fresh in my head. The original game is one of my all time favorites and was very important in shaping my gaming tastes for the next 10 years, though it was not my first RPG at the time like it was with many others. I did my best to avoid discussion on the game which was hard to do since it released 10 days early to many people around the world and I tried my best to approach this with an open mind which I feel like I did. I accepted that it was not going to be a 1:1 remake when the first trailer showing those dementor ripoffs appeared.

Taking the whole package into consideration I came away pretty impressed though there are obvious flaws in it, namely from making this episodic I believe and I'll talk about this more below. Like most others I have pretty low expectations for modern day SE and yet I feel like they pleasantly surprised me in areas I would have never expected them to. Let's start with the positives:

+ Characterization. This is one of the areas SE really surprised me. They took an established cast and fleshed them out a bit more and it turned out well and made me like them even more. Biggs, Wedge and Jessie getting a much larger role ended up being a positive (mostly...I can't stand Wedge still but I guess that's in character as I hated the original too) and you learn their motivations for being eco terrorists which go beyond just saving the planet. Barret gets a little more range to his character (and the help of a good translation for once lol) and they even made a child (Marlene) that I don't hate, which is really rare in any media. The characters have little quips at you and each other that are often charming and even NPCs have plenty to say as you walk by them, adding a bit extra to the world that I may expect from most western games nowadays but not jrpgs and certainly not from SE.

+ Voice acting. Another surprising area. SE and I'd argue Japan in general really struggle with great English VA but I think almost the entire cast did a fantastic job. When I think of the main cast and I close my eyes and listen to the voices I can attach them to the right character without fail as they fit so naturally with the character's personality. Cloud is a bit monotone and moody but...that's how he is. Barrett is bombastic and charismatic yet also delivers in more quiet moments namely when you see his concern as a father when he's near Marlene (shoutout to John Bentley here, he kinda steals the show overall). So great job to all of the actors but also to SE for nailing it with casting and direction for a change.

+ Combat. This definitely takes some getting used to and it's not without its flaws but overall I found it extremely engaging without being too easy. Using materia setups and weapon upgrades to figure out the best combinations was more fun than I expected and controlling Tifa in particular was a blast. It almost felt like a fighting game at times as you chain her attacks with her abilities with fluidity that you're not used to seeing in a RPG. Even Aerith was fun to use (and surprisingly powerful), her dual cast ability really bailed me out a lot. If I had to single out the biggest flaw of the combat though it'd be the lack of animation cancelling. It's very easy to get interrupted and hit as you can't dodge until the attack you're doing is over.

+ Graphics and Performance. I'm tying these two together because I can't believe how damn smooth the game is while it's simultaneously delivering what is honestly the most astonishing effects I've seen in a game at times. Yes the game has a low texture problem during regular moving around but during cutscenes and fights you'd expect things to take a little bit of a dive as these insane particle and spell effects are going off but I didn't notice a single fps drop the whole time. I also really loved how cinematic many of the bosses are as they change phases. Right in the middle of a boss it transitions to what looks like a cutscene so smoothly you don't even notice and then goes right back to combat without missing a beat.

+ Chapter 9. Wall Market for those who don't remember. I dare you to tell me you weren't laughing at Cloud getting roped into dancing.

Now for some bad and more neutral stuff.

- Padding. Some will disagree at what is or isn't padding but to me I felt like the back half of the game really brings down the experience from what was a 10/10 for me through chapters 1-10 to more of a 8/10 from 10-18. This is where they were clearly trying to stretch things to fit enough "game" into a $60 package. The sewer part in chapter 10 was awful as was the train graveyard in 11. I would have merged those two chapters together while condensing both to a more manageable size. Chapter 13 is almost entirely pointless as the only story thing you really learn in the underground lab is that Shinra makes monsters out of people (which you were supposed to learn in Nibelheim), and that tool Wedge surviving. Chapter 14 is just backtracking and more side quests and ANOTHER sewer section. 15 is the climb but stretched out more than it should have been and 17 has that awful and unnecessary dungeon in Hojo's lab. A lot of this should have been cleaned up even if it meant a 30 hour game instead of 40.

- Unnecessary story changes. This isn't where the ending talk comes in, I'll save that for last. I'm talking more about things like Biggs and Wedge surviving the plate collapse and that whole bit with Leslie in the sewer and his story with Corneo. All it served, besides padding the game out, was to reiterate that Corneo is a piece of shit. Yeah...we got that already SE we didn't need another horrible trip in the sewers to learn that. Also fleshing out Avalanche to be some larger resistance group with multiple cells felt unnecessary. And why was president Shinra's death handled in such a drawn out way? Was having another mustache twirling bad guy monologue important before getting stabbed? Why was Roche a thing at all? Not that I wanted more of him as he was awful.

- Textures. Let's get this one out of the way. There's nothing else to really say other than they're bad. Abysmal at times even. Like straight out of PS2 for some inexplicable reason. If it's a bug no one knows because SE has been silent but even the textures that aren't bugged are pretty low compared to most modern games. It wasn't a huge deal for me as I think the game has a lot of detail in general but it's clear something went wrong somewhere when half of a door can be textured and the other half is missing.

+/- The Ending. Alright lets get to the elephant in the room. I didn't really hate or love the ending in theory but it kind of depends how the next game handles things, which feels like a bit of a cop out I know, but it's how I really feel. I actually think the biggest issue with the ending was the episodic nature of this game and they probably felt like they needed some big epic finale to justify a $60 release instead of a more low key ending to Midgar like the original had. While it was a treat to watch these setpieces and cutscenes play out it was no doubt stupid to jump through time and space fighting a giant spirit monster and then having an amazing battle with Sephiroth in what felt like all his glory. One obvious problem this creates is...where the hell do you go from there? How are we supposed to be impressed by the midgar zolom at the start of part 2 when we just saw all of that stuff? How are they going to top that Sephiroth battle in the actual finale?

The actual timeline stuff I think is more open to interpretation right now and admittedly that scares me as a fan. They could choose to ignore some of it and say the stuff where you see Zack (and even Biggs) is just an alternate timeline and not meant to be taken too seriously, but they could also go full Kingdom Hearts and go even dumber starting from that point. They could choose to take the party breaking the chains of fate more literally and use it as an excuse to completely discard the old game's story. Considering I find many of the new story additions throughout the game to be pretty bad (like Roche, Leslie, the underground sector 7 lab) the prospect of a mostly new FF7 storyline terrifies me. This game was at its best when it was at least somewhat following the original's plot, even when it did so in a more roundabout way.

So all in all I really enjoyed my time with the game although the ending, while not too bad by itself, leaves me a bit concerned about the future games. What is everyone else's thoughts on the ending (and whole game really) and hopes for part 2? I'm personally hoping they go the more subdued route at the start, meaning no timeline/KH bullshit and just leaving Midgar to go to Kalm. Basically keep Nomura in check lol.

z1ggy

No Anime
Apr 17, 2019
I finished the game yesterday and as for now i love and hate it at the same time. The game can be the best shit ever at times and then its brings it down with unnecessary padding and fetch quests. I actually loved the sewers but didnt like how much time we spend in sector 7. And clearly the last chapter shows this isnt a remake, this is a sequel. Nomura brings his KH shit to this game and well, Sephiroth tries to change his fate (i guess?) and this timeline.

I think they used this final chapter to go they fuck they want now. Probably an excuse to make linear sequels and ditch locations/open world.

PS. I actually liked Roche.
PS2. Aerith wont die, mark my words

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I had read about the ending and changes online and think they are unnecessary and uninspired. The game seems to also suffer from the cnage in development esp After how long it had been in development

Edit- still interested in playing it myself but not necessarily any time soon, and far as pc release goes well...that could apply to it as well.

Last edited:

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Not gonna read the ending spoilers for now.

But combat wise, I'm surprised that they made FFXV but good. Good if you weren't constantly stuck in animations and if the AI was actually agressive, casue it's a pain.
But the conversion to real time with pause to cast spells (instead of the grenade system in FFXV which is still the worst magic system for any piece of entertainment in the multiverse) and skills is an excellent adaptation of the turn based system. I hope they'll work more on that, and some developers will take inspiration.
Probably needs to be changed to a cooldown system for items like in Tales of though.

For once, the game(s?) has potential and can fix its flaws relatively easily.
If ti doesn't devolve into Nomura's amazing extravaganza, and I have doubts about that one. Kingdom Hearts only got worse and worse with each game after all.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
+ Characterization.
+ Voice acting.
I agree with most of this, the characterization is pretty great, it even made me like Aerith who i thought was pretty bland in the OG.
Barret is a babo, and his voice acting does a lot to carry him.
I also liked the expanded Avalanche Squad, as well as the part About Jessies backstory with her family.

The one thing that really stood out tho was Jessis absolute T H I R S T for Cloud.
Like, she was a bit flirty with him in the original, but here she is dripping MOIST for him all the way through.
Not saying i mind the fact tho.
:h02thirsty:

The combat was amazing tbh. Such a whiplash coming after FFXV*s terribly janky garbage shitfest.
And the best thing is, FF7's Combat actually feels like a Final Fantasy game still with the ATB System and actual magic! Unlike FFXV's three element grenades…

It felt like a much slower, more tactical Kingdom hearts games, mostly because it's using the same command-menu structure.
It even did the Stagger System of FFXIII better by making you stagger enemies with unique tactics for each enemy, instead of making you raise stagger bars by using "Raise Stagger bar attacks" (i.e. Ravagers in FFXIII)

+ Graphics and Performance. +Textures
I feel like i'm in a different world whenever i see people talk about the graphics. The main character models, lighting and particle effects are nice, But a lot of the game looks plain ass too.
Especially the textures. Somewhere in like Chapter 13 or something (Climbing up to Shinra HQ) you got the chance to look down upon the entirety of midgar and you could count the fucking pixels on the towns "skybox" (Floorbox, technically)

+ Chapter 9.
Wall Market for those who don't remember. I dare you to tell me you weren't laughing at Cloud getting roped into dancing.
Indeed, the rythm game had me with a constant :D on my face

- Padding
Also agreed, the padding in the middle section is really bad and almost made me write the game off as disappointment for a while.
The entire Chapter 6(?) was completely and utterly pointless (i.e. the chapter where you had to disable three lightbulbs to start an elevator).
As well as the entire ghosttrain section. It would have been okay if they created a cool, little storyline for it that results in some character development or something, which the section almost implies here and there by adding those children into it, but then it never goes anways and just grinds the pacing to a halt.

- Unnecessary story changes
. This isn't where the ending talk comes in, I'll save that for last. I'm talking more about things like Biggs and Wedge surviving the plate collapse and that whole bit with Leslie in the sewer and his story with Corneo. All it served, besides padding the game out, was to reiterate that Corneo is a piece of shit. Yeah...we got that already SE we didn't need another horrible trip in the sewers to learn that. Also fleshing out Avalanche to be some larger resistance group with multiple cells felt unnecessary. And why was president Shinra's death handled in such a drawn out way? Was having another mustache twirling bad guy monologue important before getting stabbed? Why was Roche a thing at all? Not that I wanted more of him as he was awful.
I think Roche is meant to be a reoccuring character going forward, i'll reserve judgement until i see what they're planning for him, but i can't say i liked him. (Tho the fights itself were good)
I didn't mind the Leslie part, but i did mind the chase of the troll prior, that was another case of padding.

+/- The Ending
Bit torn on the ending myself.

On the one hand, it doesn't work all that good narratively, None of the characters except Aerith even know why Sephiroth is bad, they just trust Aerith that she isn't bullshitting them and the jump from fighting Shinra to Fighting the will of the planet itself in the form of a giant ghost called Arbiter of Fate is far too sudden.

But thematically, i like it A LOT. The fact that it isn't a Remake, but a Sequel is mindblowing.
It afterall makes no sense to present the same misterys of the original game, because most people know the story already, and even those who never played it know about Aeriths death through cultural osmosis and some other things. It almost feels like a natural conclusion to make the new games not About reexperiencing the original, but about trying to change it for the better, and there i fully agree with z1ggy Aerith won't die this time around. With how much talk there's been of changing fate, you destroying the arbiter of fate, Zack surviving his last stand and the visions of her death, her surviving will be the singular, major point of the Remakes.

I can already see thousands of YouTube reaction videos to the scene where sephiroth jumps down onto Aerith and she turns around, parrying his attack with her staff.

Reactions: Derrick01
OP
Derrick01

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I feel like i'm in a different world whenever i see people talk about the graphics. The main character models, lighting and particle effects are nice, But a lot of the game looks plain ass too.
Especially the textures. Somewhere in like Chapter 13 or something (Climbing up to Shinra HQ) you got the chance to look down upon the entirety of midgar and you could count the fucking pixels on the towns "skybox" (Floorbox, technically)
I think I did a poor job explaining what I meant. I think there's 3 areas where the game really impresses visually: During battle, during those cinematic breaks in a boss fight, and during actual cutscenes. When you have control and there's nothing going on that's when the game looks pretty bad and the textures are extremely noticeable but those other parts it allows the game to go all out with particle effects and a focus on the highly detailed character models.

Bit torn on the ending myself.

On the one hand, it doesn't work all that good narratively, None of the characters except Aerith even know why Sephiroth is bad, they just trust Aerith that she isn't bullshitting them and the jump from fighting Shinra to Fighting the will of the planet itself in the form of a giant ghost called Arbiter of Fate is far too sudden.

But thematically, i like it A LOT. The fact that it isn't a Remake, but a Sequel is mindblowing.
It afterall makes no sense to present the same misterys of the original game, because most people know the story already, and even those who never played it know about Aeriths death through cultural osmosis and some other things. It almost feels like a natural conclusion to make the new games not About reexperiencing the original, but about trying to change it for the better, and there i fully agree with z1ggy Aerith won't die this time around. With how much talk there's been of changing fate, you destroying the arbiter of fate, Zack surviving his last stand and the visions of her death, her surviving will be the singular, major point of the Remakes.

I can already see thousands of YouTube reaction videos to the scene where sephiroth jumps down onto Aerith and she turns around, parrying his attack with her staff.
It's definitely set up to let her live but I still think it would be the cowardly thing to do and at this point it feels like it wouldn't even surprise anyone. They'd be better off pulling another fast one on us and still have her die since we're all now expecting her to live.

Your first part made me remember an issue I had with Aerith's character this time around. They've sort of amplified her powers to the point where she's some sort of demi-god now who can see into the future and open portals and all that shit whereas in the original she was just a girl who could talk to the planet (at least until she died). I guess it's not really a huge deal if they can restrain themselves in the future games but since this is Nomura we're talking about the stage is sort of set for it to go full anime/kingdom hearts.

Honestly I don't know why people can defend dementors.
I didn't like them either but at least they're gone now? I think? I assume the implication of us killing that giant thing at the end means they won't appear in part 2 and beyond now.

jim2point0

MetaMember
Dec 24, 2018
I really wanted to like this game but I couldn't. At first it was alright. The combat is fun, responsive, and is probably my favorite combat system in a Final Fantasy game.

But really early on, I could feel how the padding was hurting the experience. In the original, Midgar was what, 8 hours at most. They took the same amount of (interesting) plot points and dragged them out over 4o hours (if you do literally everything). That not only ruins the pacing of the game, but actually burnt me out on the setting and combat. Fighting mostly the same enemies with the same characters and the same spells and abilities for 40 friggin hours. And because it's all based on the original 8 hours, there's very little character development. I got so very tired of squeezing through small hallways, crawling slowly under things, forced walking through places... etc etc. Don't get me started on the Tifa monkey bars section. All with painfully slow animations. The fetch quests are just trash. Find my kids. Find my cats. Find my chocobos. Everything they could do to keep you in the one linear part of the game...

What's worse is that this deliberate stretching of the game ruined the pacing and tension in the entire Shinra building. I actually started skipping cutscenes that I knew were going to be pointless and switched the difficulty to easy because I wanted it to go faster. But it was still too slow,

The whispers were.... fucking stupid. Every time they were on screen, I was angry because I knew they were going to find a way to make them introduce some Kingdom Hearts shit and I was right. I actually quit the game when I got to the "Destiny" boss because I was already burnt out on pointless boss fights that weren't in the original and I just couldn't handle it anymore. When I chipped away a little bit of its health and it started a little cutscene, I turned off my Playstation and watched the remaining bit of the game on Youtube. I didn't need to finish it because I knew right then and there that I would not be playing part 2 or 3 or however many more bullshit parts they tack on because this whole game was basically a license to create another Final Fantasy 7 side game. I haven't played any of the others and I won't be playing these.

It's pretty obvious WHY they went this route. It's probably a massive undertaking JUST to recreate Midgar with that attention to detail. If we were only going to spend 8 hours in that, they probably felt like it would have been a waste. But then there's the open world sections and even more towns and soooo much more to do... and they just gave themselves a license to do more linear games like this one instead because they created their own little Kingdom Hearts bullshit timeline that they can do whatever the fuck they want in. And.... yeah that's not the game I wanted. Just wanted to replay my favorite game of all time with shiny new graphics and combat. But that was probably asking for too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman
OP
Derrick01

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
You know after thinking about it for a few days I can't help but be amazed at how much balls this ending took. They took a sacred cow and are at least toying with the idea of completely changing it and they even used fans' demand of a pure 1:1 remake as a plot device to do it (the whispers keep things as it should be after all), making us be the ones who initiate the potential change whether we like it or not.

Time will tell whether it works or not but one can't deny you rarely ever see something this bold in a beloved series anymore. In any form of media.

jim2point0

MetaMember
Dec 24, 2018
Watching people try to work out what the hell is going on looks an awful lot like people trying to describe Kingdom Hearts to me. And I hate Kingdom Hearts. So that's probably why I don't like this. To me, the ending was completely incoherent. Just... a lot of timetravel multiverse bullshit that never really makes for an interesting plot.

OP
Derrick01

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
The ending itself isn't really complex. They broke through destiny's hold on them and are in uncharted territory now. I expect the next game will have most of the same locations but plot wise anything goes now (though like this game I expect a lot of similar things, even if they take a different path to the same result. Like president shinra still getting stabbed by sephiroth even though it happened in a much different way in the remake).

All the other stuff about possible timelines is nothing more than speculation right now. We won't know what the point was of showing zack alive until the next game's out.

jim2point0

MetaMember
Dec 24, 2018
The realization I had about why I don't like this, is the implication that the original FF7 was a different timeline/universe, and that the events in this game make that experience I had meaningless. It was just another possible iteration of events, as are the events in the Remake. So why should I care about what happens in the Remake? Just another iteration. So it's hard to care about these characters if it's one out of many different potential timelines.

And yeah, it's speculation, but that's the only way to explain the fact that there was a scene with a completely different looking Midgar in "Zack's timeline." And if it's not a different timeline and Zack is just... alive, then lol wtf. Just..... why. It does reek of Disney's no consequences shtick.

Regardless of whether or not there are multiple timelines or universes.... the events that happen in the Remake are just.... silly? I don't know how to describe it. A portal appearing in the middle of the highway that allow the characters to flip around like superheroes when previously crossing a small gap in the road required an hour of problem solving. The overuse of Sephiroth.

I can't.

But hey Chadley is a robot and he gave me some materia so... 10/10.