|OT| MetaConsole | Here we can talk about anything regarding consoles

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Im always impressed when people manage to play first person shooters (CP2077 in this case) on a console.
It's incredibly easy and second nature for me as if it's an extension of myself. I even played bad company 2 online with a pad on PC and did better than m/kb, I had initially tried m/kb because of how everyone says you can't use a pad online you'll get destroyed. Well I was getting destroyed until I gave up and put my xbox pad in then I started doing roughly the same as I did on the 360 version lol.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I knew folks had been restoring online modes and stuff accessible via real Dreamcast browsers/games but I read they also restored the Crazy Taxi 2 "Another Day" DLC, I investigated a bit and wow, there's quite a bit of DLC for various games. I knew there were PSO missions and other random crap like but there's also good stuff like a ton of Samba de Amigo tracks, courses for 4x4 Evolution (crappy game & port but still), cars for Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2, a new ship and modes of play for Giga Wing, a bonus character for Dynamite Cop and all kinds of other cool stuff. Some of it may only apply on certain game versions (so it was either included by default or disabled altogether in other regions I guess) but yeah, still cool. There are 3 new Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram playable virtuaroids too!
There's some useless stuff (I don't think many want the MSR challenges & trials given how much it repeats, I played it more recently then resorted to skimming a longplay and wow is it drab & now way down my list of great DC racers, I'd rather have "too little content" 3 track arcade style stuff over this bs) but still, neat.

Reactions: lashman
OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
The price on games on the Norwegian PSN Store has been increased on both first party and 3rd party games. Spidey 2 Standard Edition that previously costed 799 nok aka 76$ now costs 999 nok aka 95$.

what the fuck in the fuckity fuck

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
A leaked document from the early 2010s regarding "Xbox 720:"

It was originally planned to launch at $299
$299 with Kinect V2 might’ve actually saved this system. Then again, there was still the DRM stuff.

Hindsight’s a bitch and all, but you can’t help but look at some of MS’s forced errors in combination with these slides and think how much brain rot there was (and still is) in Xbox.

One more generation before they go third party, I think. Maybe even less if we see a strong competitor or two.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

I really hope this isn't true. The original Switch is way beyond long in tooth.

• Sad
Reactions: C-Dub

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I’d be pretty disappointed if Switch 2 is 2025. But Nintendo will do what Nintendoes.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Pushing it back even further just makes the tech gap they're going to have be even more painful. They're going to essentially put out a base ps4 in 2025, 12 years after that came out.

Granted after making us deal with 720p (often less than that) and 20fps for 7 years anything's going to feel like an improvement.

Reactions: yuraya

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Looking like at least another year of waiting.

Pushing it back even further just makes the tech gap they're going to have be even more painful. They're going to essentially put out a base ps4 in 2025, 12 years after that came out.

Granted after making us deal with 720p (often less than that) and 20fps for 7 years anything's going to feel like an improvement.
There's also the fact the Steam Deck 2 could release some time in 2025 or 2026 and I expect it to be a decent leap over the Switch 2.

OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I actually have winter holiday now when Rebirth is out. Talk about timing.

Hopefully Rebirth don't let me down like Remake did, but the reviews gives me hope.

Haven't touched my PS5 in months, so time to use it again.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I've only done the Nibelheim flashback and walked around Kalm a bit, but they have changed so so so much from the original. Also, despite being a Tifa man for all these years, I'm starting to really like Aerith.

OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Just got to the "open area". It's been pretty good so far, but technological wise, it's not all good.

A PC version could fix some of my annoyances.

Reactions: Arc

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I played about 8 hours yesterday. It's exactly what I expected: Final Fantasy 7 Remake's gameplay with an open world. I remember reading an interview where one of the developers talked about being inspired by The Witcher 3 and it wears that proudly on its shoulder. For being an open world game, the world traversal is kind of garbage as it feels like it wants to have a Zelda-like world with a lot of vertical areas to scale, but it is nowhere near as refined. I think you get different color chocobos in the future so that issue may eventually be addressed.

And yes, the game is pretty ugly, especially on Performance mode.

I can't comment much on the story since I was slumming around the first area doing quests but I really like what little I've seen so far. I'm expecting a trainwreck and the first 20 minutes did not disappoint. The characterization is also top notch and I like everyone.

Also Queen's Blood is super fun. I haven't played FF8 in like a million years, but I remember being completely addicted to Triple Triad and QB tickles those same neurons.

OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
The open world is good looking (graphically), but boring and unintersting. Only doing the side stuff I come across while going in the direction of the main story.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
The (superior) Saturn version of Silhouette Mirage has been fan translated. The effort's had many releases recently but finally is fully playable start to finish now.
I think I read somewhere the goal is to eventually re-translate the game faithfully to its Japanese version, for now it's using the PS port's Working Designs script.
The latest version 0.999 is a full retranslation of the game faithful to the original script and not the Working Designs lozalization of the PlayStation port.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
launch PS3 work fine now?
Some guy is selling me a PS3 launch version from Japan. THinking of getting it because of hardware backwards compatibility with PS2.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Huh, found a neat Saturn 2D fighter I never heard of. No arcade ver even. Looks competent, if not as unique as Astra Superstars/Groove on Fight/Asuka 120%!

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Finished Until Dawn and I was so impressed by its motion + touchpad use, I'm disappointed more devs haven't fully used it.
And no, controller speak sounds lose their charm quickly