Opinion MetaCouncils Annual Top 5s - 2019 Edition

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
So what are your top 5s of 2019? Be it movies, music, book, comics or whatever! I haven't consumed that much outside games, movies and music. Don't even have enough for five TV series.

Here are mine

Film

1. Joker

I wasn't sure if I wanted to put endgame at first place or Joker, but Joker and a movie was the better choice. I absolutely loved it. Sure I agree with a lot of complaints it gets but for me it just worked great.

2. Avengers Endgame
By far my favourite cinematic event of my life. This really is unprecedented, as far as I am aware and it was better than I had ever hoped. Would put this at first place but as a standalone movie it doesn't work as well.

3. Parasite
I love movies that handles class struggles, the oppression to become rich that is todays society and to get a movie that is this well done and subtle is just such a treat!

4. Port Authority
This movie reflected my life to such degree that after leaving the cinema I just fell down to such deep depression. While the some details are different and the movie had that happy stuff while my life didn't. It made me realise what I was missing. (yes I know don't judge yourself against movies)

5. Us
Another one about the class struggle. While I usually don't like horror movies this had such interesting premise that I loved it on that alone!

Honorable Mentions:

Ford vs Ferrari

Ad Astra

Music

1. TR/ST - Destroyer 2

TR/ST release two albums this year. The first part is the regular electronic that I'm used to and at first I didn't think I would like part two which a much more calm and emotional album but yeah in the end that is the one I most often listen to.

2. TR/ST - Destroyer 1
There is just something about TR/ST that appeals to me, I'm actually not fully sure what it is since I have hard time recommending it to people but nonetheless it's fucking dope.

3. Blanck Mass - Animated Violence Mild
Now this is something I've missed from my punk days, that raw energy but with done with my current music taste.

4. Ladytron - Ladytron
The album is difficult to appraise, since most song in themselves are really good, but the album in itself doesn't come together as a whole.

5. The Faint - Egowerk
What I like about the Faint, is that they remind me of the angsty and simple punk music I used to listen to when a teenager and it has been a long while since their last album, so of course I loved having them back.

Honorable Mentions:

Magic Sword - Legend EP

French 79 - Joshua

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
Ad Astra was such a letdown.

My fav movies if the year were following (Some came before I know but I watched them un 2019) in no order.

Avengers Endgame
Godzilla 2014
Joker (how did I forget this?!)
Godzilla King of Monsters
Alpha
Triple Frontier

Last edited:
Reactions: Le Pertti
OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Ad Astra was such a letdown.
I think it helped that I didn't know anything about the movie beforehand. And there was a lot I didn't like about the movie, some scenes were so bad and the casting was confusingly bad for the whole movie, BUT, the high of the movie were so thrilling for me that afterwards I was just so happy.:D

Edit: Never heard of Triple Frontier but looking into it I think I have to check it out, thanks for the tip.

Reactions: freshVeggie

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I have not consumed enough material to build a top 5 in any category except video games.

Plus, out of the few movies which I have watched, the only one which I would recommend, if you are in the mood for it, is:

And in 2018:

Last edited:

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
hey, I never noticed this thread exist... I like making top lists at the end of the year, so I'll share them here too: they're all unsorted (well, they are sorted - alphabetically), and they're top 9 lists, not top 5.

Games
A Plague Tale: Innocence
A Short hike
Baba is you
Gears 5
Greedfall
Ion Fury
Resident Evil 2
Supraland
Trine 4

Music
Alcest - Spiritual Instinct