Opinion Metal Gear Solid 1,2,3 and 4 should have already gotten HD re-release, whats taking them long?

the_marmolade

La-li-lu-le-lo
Sep 19, 2018
So with Konami not in the bad spotlight lately they have released some pretty cool things despite them being low budget compare to there other products before MGS5 such as Super Bomberman R and Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner. But theirs one thing missing! Where is Metal Gear Solid Remasters is at? Are they still trying to remove Kojima name from existence in that company or is it that they dont have no interest of the Metal Gear Solid franchise. I really would like to get your guys opinion on this matter and why you think its taking them long.

Maniac

As the name suggests. The OG Maniac.
Sep 19, 2018
Under your bed, creepin
metacouncil.com
Kojima is a con artist.

Ofcourse, this is extreme sarcasm - He's just... Not an auteur, nor an artist - He's a guy that's really, really bad at producing games despite his job title more often than not including "producer" - Design wise, he has great ideas.

Fuck, I went out on a tangent there. Right, I figure it'd probably been in production in some capacity back when Konami scrapped the idea of producing videogames and wanted to go all out on Pachinkos. Hopefully it's something that's coming in the future.

But who knows, they're not the most efficient nor logical company around.

OP
the_marmolade

the_marmolade

La-li-lu-le-lo
Sep 19, 2018
Kojima is a con artist.

Ofcourse, this is extreme sarcasm - He's just... Not an auteur, nor an artist - He's a guy that's really, really bad at producing games despite his job title more often than not including "producer" - Design wise, he has great ideas.

Fuck, I went out on a tangent there. Right, I figure it'd probably been in production in some capacity back when Konami scrapped the idea of producing videogames and wanted to go all out on Pachinkos. Hopefully it's something that's coming in the future.

Konami has been producing games after that fiasco they aint money sinkers like MGS5 tho very low budget Triple AAA games. I just find it strange they did ZoE2 remaster for current gen before any MGS remaster for current gen.

Maniac

As the name suggests. The OG Maniac.
Sep 19, 2018
Under your bed, creepin
metacouncil.com
So... What I figure is that, ideally, you'd want your MGS remasters to be ready alongside one another as a big collection, or to be able to rapidly release within a short time frame, whereas ZOE... Stands a bit on its own? And besides that - Is a much smaller game, and would require less work. But honestly, I don't know - I don't know anyone inside Konami whatsoever, and I've never been able to make much sense of any of their actions.

So... It's probably Konami being all #FucKonami-esque.

pahamrick

Pricky Ricky Dicky Bob
Sep 6, 2018
it's especially weird considering they re-made large chunks of MGS 3 cutscenes in Fox Engine for a pachinko machine.

Reactions: lashman

Blizniak

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2018
One would hope it's taking so long because they're remaking the whole series in Fox Engine for this and future generations but that'd probably be way too costly especially compared to just rendering the HD Collection in 4k and throwing it out there. Sometimes it feels like these companies just don't want our money.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
One would hope it's taking so long because they're remaking the whole series in Fox Engine for this and future generations but that'd probably be way too costly especially compared to just rendering the HD Collection in 4k and throwing it out there. Sometimes it feels like these companies just don't want our money.
i just want 1-4 on PC (well, 3-4, technically, i suppose) and i'll be happy ... don't even need any of the side-ones

Nzyme

Time to get Fit
Sep 19, 2018
I think they might wait till they have a consistent idea of what they want to do with MGS going forward without Kojima. PC versions being available digitally, plus MGS 3 / Peace Walker / 4 making the move over would be great, but this is Konami so who knows. If SotN makes it over with it's re-release incoming, I might have more hope

Kojima is a con artist.

Kojima is pretty overrated imo. He isn't that good at producing games in itself, but story telling and his "directing" ability are all pretty woeful. Gameplay has been the only really exceptional thing. I used to think (having not played many JP games back then) that this was some unique issue of direct translations / casting and direction of western actors causing all kinds of mess and things being lost in translation, but really it seems more of a Kojima thing.

While not of the stealth genre, I am absolutely loving Yakuza right now. It takes the same semi-serious and whimsical aspects of story but portrays them so much better. Direction is so much better by a long shot and finally no lecherous direction with the camera. It does a phenomenal job of keeping both those aspects while being consistent and coherent - something Kojima games seemingly never do

SpikeHitman

Bad Framerates, Bad Opinions
Sep 20, 2018
In a perfect world we'd have BC for PS3 games on PS4 and you could just load up the Legacy Collection and call it a day.

The problem with remasters at this point is that we'd run into a problem of what gets changed, and what stays. Would they remaster MGS, or Twin Snakes? Would MGS2/3 be straight port jobs of Substance/Subsistence, or would you get a big remaster treatment? What about Peace Walker? How much of a remaster does MGS4 really need? Would any of the online modes port over? Would all of them?

There's just so many X factors to an undertaking like this, I don't see it happening outside of a rush job like Legacy Collection.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
In a perfect world we'd have BC for PS3 games on PS4 and you could just load up the Legacy Collection and call it a day.

The problem with remasters at this point is that we'd run into a problem of what gets changed, and what stays. Would they remaster MGS, or Twin Snakes? Would MGS2/3 be straight port jobs of Substance/Subsistence, or would you get a big remaster treatment? What about Peace Walker? How much of a remaster does MGS4 really need? Would any of the online modes port over? Would all of them?

There's just so many X factors to an undertaking like this, I don't see it happening outside of a rush job like Legacy Collection.
i have a solution to all of that - just release everything on PC ... each version of every MGS game ... problem solved :p

SpikeHitman

Bad Framerates, Bad Opinions
Sep 20, 2018

i have a solution to all of that - just release everything on PC ... each version of every MGS game ... problem solved :p
The best one's already on PC, and it's the best version, too.

brau

huh?
Sep 20, 2018
I would love to see MGS 1,2 and 3 remakes on the Fox Engine. No need for new director to revamp the cutscenes. Just exactly as it is but in the new engine with revamped controls perhaps and just updated graphics. I would be ok if 4 didn't make the cut.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
i would be ok if all 4 made the cut ... even as straight-up "remasters" ... it would just be nice to have all 4 in one place, available digitally

Nzyme

Time to get Fit
Sep 19, 2018
well yes, i know Survive is already on PC ... but i want at least 3 and 4 too
Dammit lash, you KNOW I meant Integral :ROFLMAO:
I installed integral a while ago. Still holds up great. A Steam version would not be hard to do at all if you want the absolute bare minimum.

Installation is pretty hilarious - installer is 90s as fuck:

and is "not compatible" with current systems:

Running the game by default is at some insane puny human resolution of 320x240, but is still pretty rad:

Intro video is fruity:

But actually going into the settings and running at a glorious 1024x768, shows the prowess of the game:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Considering Nvidia was allowed to port MGS2 and 3 onto the Shield, I assume Konami themselves has no qualms about ports. They just don't seem to care about non-mobile gaming anymore.
So to answer the question: Unless someone is willing to pay for it, and give Konami a share, it's not happening.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Considering Nvidia was allowed to port MGS2 and 3 onto the Shield, I assume Konami themselves has no qualms about ports. They just don't seem to care about non-mobile gaming anymore.
So to answer the question: Unless someone is willing to pay for it, and give Konami a share, it's not happening.
yeah, it sure seems that way ... either that, or Nvidia was willing to throw enough money at them so that they'd allow them to port those games to Shield

'cause i can't imagine Nightdive or GoG hadn't tried to ask them about those games

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
I
well yes, i know Survive is already on PC ... but i want at least 3 and 4 too
Dammit lash, you KNOW I meant Integral :ROFLMAO:
I installed integral a while ago. Still holds up great. A Steam version would not be hard to do at all if you want the absolute bare minimum.

Installation is pretty hilarious - installer is 90s as fuck:

and is "not compatible" with current systems:

Running the game by default is at some insane puny human resolution of 320x240, but is still pretty rad:

Intro video is fruity:

But actually going into the settings and running at a glorious 1024x768, shows the prowess of the game:
IIRC, there was a PC bundled version made by someone on reddit which works flawlessly Widescreen and works well on modern systems.