Community MetaSteam | January 2019 - Steaming along through Epic storms

Status
Not open for further replies.

OSatan

OFather OSun
I want to trash Sega for this late inferior version of the game but they work so slow that probably it was started before the remake and that is funny also this opens the door to Nocturne soooo....

and remember this does nothing for Vanillaware, they are not owned by Sega.

Nice bonuses there. Can't be too mad about the full-body situation. Maybe they'll sell it to us down the road as DLC!
Full body is in a complete new engine so it can't be backported.

Ok little rant, the game should be cheaper like half this price cheap.

Reactions: lashman

Deleted member 113

You can keep all your Personas, I just want the Etrian Odyssey series, with its kickass Yuzo Koshiro soundtracks, on PC. :p

And, what about a revival of the Trauma Center series on PC, with touch and mouse controls? :unsure:

Reactions: lashman and Echoes

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
Well we got Catherine which I don't really care about, so where are my SMT games, I need them all!

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
You can keep all your Personas, I just want the Etrian Odyssey series, with its kickass Yuzo Koshiro soundtracks, on PC. :p

And, what about a revival of the Trauma Center series on PC, with touch and mouse controls? :unsure:
The list of games that Sega can bring to Pc is quite something, Persona, Etrian, Trauma Center and many more. Quantity and quality all around.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Did anyone read that PC Gamer review of Rimworld? Discussion of social issues aside (which it quite arguably gets really wrong as well), if you can only figure out how to harvest items one at a time...maybe game reviewing isn't for you.

It sounds super-elitist, but it's so frustrating finding people who won't put in the bare modicum of effort to understand slightly complex PC games. Do your damn job and read some of the explanations and tutorials.

Yoshi

o_O
Jan 5, 2019
Artifact's numbers keep decreasing. Even the Steam score should be going down, if it were not for the big inertia due to the massive amount of reviews.

I haven't been keeping up -- what's been the reason(s) for such a decline? Do you think this game can see a turn around like CS:GO? I know it's still somewhat decent numbers compared to a lot of multiplayer games, but not for a new Valve game. Is f2p the only option at this point?

Edit: Thanks lashman <3 Also, happy birthday NingenJanai!

Last edited:
Reactions: Wok and lashman

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
I haven't been keeping up -- what's been the reason(s) for such a decline? Do you think this game can see a turn around like CS:GO? I know it's still somewhat decent numbers compared to a lot of multiplayer games, but not for a new Valve game. Is f2p the only option at this point?

I don't know if this is a feeling shared by the Artifact community, but I can't help but think the game length isn't helping it.

For better or worse, Hearthstone takes around 10 minutes tops to play a game, which was a huge part of its early success: Bite-sized, quick CCG gameplay. From my experience, Artifact by way of comparison take around 20-30 minutes. MTG Arena actually often takes a similar amount of time for a game, but it has the added benefit of A) being a known format we're all familiar with (not Artifact's novel 3-lane approach) and B) being a known property that's well loved to begin with.

It also doesn't help my enjoyment when I feel like I basically did almost everything right but lost to some stupid RNG at the end of a match. Not that Hearthstone doesn't have RNG issues mind you, but the shorter game-length makes the loss feel way less impactful in my experience. In the time I can spend sitting and taking a game of Artifact seriously (and possibly losing to RNG), I might have banged 3-5 Hearthstone games out.

The game is fairly close to falling out of the Top 100 games according to Valve's own playercount data. It has fallen out a few times, but it may drop out permanently soon enough. It's already regularly getting beaten in 24 peaks by Shadowverse and freaking Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links.

I really don't know what they can do to fix it and bring me back.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
I don't know if this is a feeling shared by the Artifact community, but I can't help but think the game length isn't helping it.

For better or worse, Hearthstone takes around 10 minutes tops to play a game, which was a huge part of its early success: Bite-sized, quick CCG gameplay. From my experience, Artifact by way of comparison take around 20-30 minutes. MTG Arena actually often takes a similar amount of time for a game, but it has the added benefit of A) being a known format we're all familiar with (not Artifact's novel 3-lane approach) and B) being a known property that's well loved to begin with.

It also doesn't help my enjoyment when I feel like I basically did almost everything right but lost to some stupid RNG at the end of a match. Not that Hearthstone doesn't have RNG issues mind you, but the shorter game-length makes the loss feel way less impactful in my experience. In the time I can spend sitting and taking a game of Artifact seriously (and possibly losing to RNG), I might have banged 3-5 Hearthstone games out.

The game is fairly close to falling out of the Top 100 games according to Valve's own playercount data. It has fallen out a few times, but it may drop out permanently soon enough. It's already regularly getting beaten in 24 peaks by Shadowverse and freaking Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links.

I really don't know what they can do to fix it and bring me back.
When did you last play because my games in Artifact last ~15 minutes now in Artifact though I'm not playing straight control like I did in Hearthstone and there I put in around the same time. The auto-attack needs adjustment for sure. If I hadn't the right card in hand I would've lost a match because of it.

Don't feel that losing in Hearthstone feels better tbh. The RNG swings are huge and feel bad if your at the receiving ends of them. Sure, it looks flashy and can make for some memes but playing it always felt so devastating for me. Also sometimes a loss meant you have to win 2 games to get your rank back.

Reactions: Wok and lashman

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
If it wasn't obvious with the way Derrick got poached, I believe there are mods/staff on Era with specific intent to harm or devalue the PC Community in general. Maybe that's a bit strong though, but at the very least there are staff (and ex-staff like the one who was a big trigger to the destruction of Steam OT) who clearly hold grudges against PCEra and certain members, A 24-hour ban should be a 24-hour ban, that other mods can go and free these trolls before their punishment is over is frankly, absurd and highly suspicious.

Personally this just fuels my distrust of Era staff even more.
Apparently it has something to do with timezones? So a 1 day ban is not really "24 hours" but can be like anything from half a day to a day and a half depending on your luck, so it's more a stupid system instead of outright maliciousness. Not exactly a great look either though.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018

Word of warning to people thinking of getting Catherine on PC.
Don't. Wait for patches. One of the worst stutterfest I've ever seen in my gaming career.

Reactions: Kvik and lashman

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France

It is difficult to assess the situation. I believe the two biggest issues are 1) the game is barebone and 2) Valve has not been clear about the direction which they want to give to the game, So a lot of people are afraid, sell their cards and jump away for now.

Reactions: Yoshi and lashman

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
When did you last play because my games in Artifact last ~15 minutes now in Artifact though I'm not playing straight control like I did in Hearthstone and there I put in around the same time. The auto-attack needs adjustment for sure. If I hadn't the right card in hand I would've lost a match because of it.

Don't feel that losing in Hearthstone feels better tbh. The RNG swings are huge and feel bad if your at the receiving ends of them. Sure, it looks flashy and can make for some memes but playing it always felt so devastating for me. Also sometimes a loss meant you have to win 2 games to get your rank back.
I think I last played probably a week or two ago, when I was still seeing 20-30 minute times in Draft?

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that the RNG in Hearthstone doesn't feel bad, it absolutely does, and is often genuinely rage inducing.

I'm just talking about time to reset mentally after bad games. If we lower the average time for an Artifact game from what I estimated to say, 15-20 minutes, that's still twice as long as many Hearthstone decks take. If I lose my first Artifact game of the day, my time to get a win will at least take a half-hour to forty minutes. And in that time I could have played as many as 4-6 games of Hearthstone, which at least theoretically feels like more chances to win (it's also simply more chances to experiment and practice).

This is similar to my experience in League of Legends recently. A normal/ranked draft game can take 20-40 minutes, and losing at 40 minutes because someone mistimed their flash or ultimate feels like a complete waste of time just occurred. Whereas the new Nexus Blitz mode is an RNG, dumb-fun mode with all kinds of BS ways to lose. But because the game is basically guaranteed to end in 20 minutes, I feel like my time isn't being wasted nearly as often, and have come to prefer that mode in a lot of ways.

Again, I'm not saying that these are opinions held widely by a lot of people, but psychologically I've come to find that game length has a lot to do with my irritation/enjoyment in video games. At this point in my life, games that are shorter and get me back into action quickly after a loss psychologically appeal more to me. Might not be what's hurting Artifact, but it certainly hurt it for me.

Eriugam

Premium Title
Nov 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I want to trash Sega for this late inferior version of the game but they work so slow that probably it was started before the remake and that is funny also this opens the door to Nocturne soooo....

and remember this does nothing for Vanillaware, they are not owned by Sega.

Full body is in a complete new engine so it can't be backported.

Ok little rant, the game should be cheaper like half this price cheap.
Why not go the extra mile, remove it from Steam and launch it exclusively on the Epic Store? :p

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Spend my credit from the Humble Monthly deal for a year on TitS: SC, Exapunks and The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa. Looking forward to all three when I can play them in X months.

I think I last played probably a week or two ago, when I was still seeing 20-30 minute times in Draft?

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that the RNG in Hearthstone doesn't feel bad, it absolutely does, and is often genuinely rage inducing.

I'm just talking about time to reset mentally after bad games. If we lower the average time for an Artifact game from what I estimated to say, 15-20 minutes, that's still twice as long as many Hearthstone decks take. If I lose my first Artifact game of the day, my time to get a win will at least take a half-hour to forty minutes. And in that time I could have played as many as 4-6 games of Hearthstone, which at least theoretically feels like more chances to win (it's also simply more chances to experiment and practice).

This is similar to my experience in League of Legends recently. A normal/ranked draft game can take 20-40 minutes, and losing at 40 minutes because someone mistimed their flash or ultimate feels like a complete waste of time just occurred. Whereas the new Nexus Blitz mode is an RNG, dumb-fun mode with all kinds of BS ways to lose. But because the game is basically guaranteed to end in 20 minutes, I feel like my time isn't being wasted nearly as often, and have come to prefer that mode in a lot of ways.

Again, I'm not saying that these are opinions held widely by a lot of people, but psychologically I've come to find that game length has a lot to do with my irritation/enjoyment in video games. At this point in my life, games that are shorter and get me back into action quickly after a loss psychologically appeal more to me. Might not be what's hurting Artifact, but it certainly hurt it for me.
Oh, you're playing draft. That is different. I mostly play constructed. Hated arena in Hearthstone because I always felt betrayed during the draft. Games felt also around the same time frame in arena you mentioned for Artifact.

Yeah, in the end it probably has to do a lot with preference. Like I said, I don't notice that much different in game length between Hearthstone and Artifact after the initial getting used to in the latter. Also has probably something to do at what level you play at.

For me I enjoy the ladder-less experience of Artifact much more than Hearthstone. Doesn't feel like I lose as much when I lose a game on Hearthstone ladder or even arena due to some yolo Yogg-Saron casting the one or two spells to snag away the win. Gamelength doesn't matter to me much now but might if Artifact might run well on mobile. Also, give me more XP, Volvo!

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Catherine Classic impressions didn't look too good. I was looking forward to getting the game. I suppose I can play another Atlus game in the interim.

Featuring a janitor who looks suspiciously like Samuel Jackson as Nick Fury in Marvel's The Avengers.

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
Catherine Classic impressions didn't look too good. I was looking forward to getting the game. I suppose I can play another Atlus game in the interim.

Featuring a janitor who looks suspiciously like Samuel Jackson as Nick Fury in Marvel's The Avengers.
Love Super Famicom SMT, they are amazing

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Catherine Classic impressions didn't look too good. I was looking forward to getting the game. I suppose I can play another Atlus game in the interim..
I mean, it runs good enough if you disable overlays other than Steam.
Is still locked to 30 fps in puzzles though.

zkylon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOxkGD8qRB4
Nov 2, 2018
i propose a new feature that just posts a random kda fanart

like this one

and then i'll be obsolete!

Reactions: Ex-User (307)
Status
Not open for further replies.