News Microsoft aquired ZeniMax Media (Bethesda) for $7.5 billion | deal is done

guhguh222444

thou who art undead art chosen
Aug 23, 2020
Not really invested into consoles and their respective platform shitflinging, but goddamn would it satisfy me to see Sony put in its place for all the exclusivity shit it’s pulled this and next gen. Hopefully MS actually does something good with this and doesn’t go full 360/XBone levels of anti-consumer all over again.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
How much overlap is there?
certainly some overlap in shooters, driving games, and rpgs. but there was overlap in driving before and we got the horizon series out of it so i think there's some good potential to see different takes on IPs that they now own from different studios and hopefully more cross collaboration as studios work together on projects.

for the shooter overlap it's not as bad as first glance cause 343 is a halo only studio and coalition is more gears focused so id can kinda do their own thing.

also worth noting that the one spot for bethesda game studios is actually three different studios in canada, austin, and dallas so the list is even bigger!

zenimax online studios (which i guess will be renamed now) who run the elder scrolls mmo, fallout 76, and were making that commander keen mobile game could be the home of some new gaas games that i'm sure will be reviled around these parts. :p mobile and mmo are spaces i'm surprised that microsoft has not focused on more before this.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Not really invested into consoles and their respective platform shitflinging, but goddamn would it satisfy me to see Sony put in its place for all the exclusivity shit it’s pulled this and next gen. Hopefully MS actually does something good with this and doesn’t go full 360/XBone levels of anti-consumer all over again.
I'm definitely trapped between schadenfreude and "it's Microsoft"

Reactions: Durante

guhguh222444

thou who art undead art chosen
Aug 23, 2020
I'm definitely trapped between schadenfreude and "it's Microsoft"
Yeah. On one hand, Sony fanboy tears are delicious. On the other, I fondly remember the kind of disastrous shit Microsoft has pulled in the last 20 years. At least it hasn’t been as bad under Phil, but even so... We’ll see. Don’t fuck up M$.

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
Prey 2 when MS.

If this allows Arkane to do more of what they're already doing, it's a win in my book. Can't get enough of their games.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019

dang two years to get this accomplished and nothing ever leaked out, impressive!

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Prey 2 when MS.

If this allows Arkane to do more of what they're already doing, it's a win in my book. Can't get enough of their games.
IDK...the main guy left Arkane after Prey.

Just hope for a new Fallout made in collaboration with Obsidian or a remake of Fallout 1&2
A remake of Fallout 1 & 2?

Spontaneous orgasm.

Reactions: lashman

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I want that Prey 2 too. I don't care if they don't update the visuals much. Just make it run and play well and release it already.

But also let Arkane develop a sequel to their 2017 Immersive sim. Maybe with a different name... or the same, why not, I won't judge if that's their kink.

Reactions: lashman

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Lotta toxic and unnecessary buzz going around it, I'm glad there is a voice of reason.
This explains so much.
Yeah honestly thats what I thought. It always seemed Bethesda botched their releases. They had great devs on their wing, but the publishing arm was bad.

And you know when I first noticed that?
When Wolfenstein The New Order came out, they only sold the censored German-language version here AND region locked activations of the international version on Steam. They did the same inexplicably for Switzerland, where not everyone speaks German. Their reasons were, paraphrased "your laws are similar to Germany's and could get us in trouble -- and besides, we only have one "master" for the GAS (Germany-Austria-Switzerland) region." Now, Germany used to have weird laws about games depicting swastikas and Nazis, but we didnt... and neither did Switzerland.
At the very least, they relented on the region locking the PC version (no region lock ever existed for the console versions, of course) after a while, and they gave Swiss people the international version for all purchases, when pressured. But it showed to me that as a publisher, Bethesda is garbage. And they continued to be.
And then, when Germany changed their law, they started selling the uncensored versions there...and here too. Our laws hadnt changed at all, just showcasing how rubbish their arguments were. :disapproval-blob:

Oh, and they even region-locked their bloody Wolfenstein website AND the Wolfenstein portion of their forums.

Thank FUCK Germany eventually changed their laws on this. It was SO absurd that a game about fighting nazis was somehow seen as Nazi propaganda in the eyes of the law there.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
People are acting like Sony wouldnt buy a big game studio if they could.

If Sony announced they bought Bandai Namco or whatever, people would be celebrating the tit - for - tat, arguing that their games always sell best on Playstation consoles, instead of being incresingly worried about corporate consolidation.