Q&A Need help getting DS4 controller to pair with Windows 10

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
This has been an issue with me for months now. I used to be able to pair my DS4s with my laptop via bluetooth and use them without issue. Lately, however, non of my devices pair. I've got W10 updated and anytime I press Share+Home button the device will blink but my laptop won't recognize it. Not even getting an extra bluetooth usb connected with 4.0 has resolved the issue. Anyone know what's causing this? I've tried just about every method shown online but to no avail.

This whole time I've been playing iwht my DS4 connected via USB.

TheVectronic

The Wondering Scribe
Oct 31, 2018
Puerto Rico
I've tried using it via Bluetooth using 3rd party programs like InputMapper & DS4Windows by tricking the PC you're using an Xbox Controller, but DS4Windows hasn't been updated since 2016 so thread with caution.

Additionally, I've used it with the PC Settings App & the Control Panel methods & they've worked as well.

Reactions: lashman
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Ill try to use ds4windows to see if itll pair with it running.
I stopped using input mapper as ds4w gets the job sone better.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
but DS4Windows hasn't been updated since 2016 so thread with caution.
While it's true that the original release of DS4W by Jays2Kings hasn't seen an update since 2016, there is a fork of the project by Ryochan7 (Ryochan7/DS4Windows) which continues to be updated even today. This is also the version of DS4W I've used.

I'd recommend using this recent fork rather than the original one.

TheVectronic

The Wondering Scribe
Oct 31, 2018
Puerto Rico
While it's true that the original release of DS4W by Jays2Kings hasn't seen an update since 2016, there is a fork of the project by Ryochan7 (Ryochan7/DS4Windows) which continues to be updated even today. This is also the version of DS4W I've used.

I'd recommend using this recent fork rather than the original one.
Oh you have no idea how much I'm happy to hear that. Working with InputMapper has been hell, Glad someone's updating it 2 years after being dropped! Thanks a whole bunch!

Reactions: lashman and Kvik
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Nope even with ds4w thr ds4 controllers are not being recognised. I am certain the issue is with my laptop not recognizing the ds4s to pair them.
Will tey that fork tho.

Matimeo

MetaMember
Oct 21, 2018
Yup the fork, and then follow his instructions for pairing closely. Took me awhile to get it but then it worked. Have my ds4 pairing fine in win 10.

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Ah i think reading the readme shed light on why i am having these pairing issues.
Should this one work for me to get wireless controllers working properly via bluetooth i would be left with a minor inconvenience-
majority of games would think i am using an x1/360 controller.

This makes me want an update to steam client that 'forces' game interfaces to show ds4 buttons :p

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
OK so I installed the fork, chose 'Install DS4 Driver', restarted the PC but I can't pair still :S
I tried to pair while Steam BPM is on and I tried to pair with DS4Windows running but no dice, my Bluetooth page just doesn't detect it for some reason.
I think the one way to resolve this were if I to get a new rig, but I can't help but wonder if there are any olde registries that are affecting or blocking my DS4 from being detected.

Krakn3dfx

Sean Murray Apologist
Dec 17, 2018
Denver-ish, CO
OK so I installed the fork, chose 'Install DS4 Driver', restarted the PC but I can't pair still :S
I tried to pair while Steam BPM is on and I tried to pair with DS4Windows running but no dice, my Bluetooth page just doesn't detect it for some reason.
I think the one way to resolve this were if I to get a new rig, but I can't help but wonder if there are any olde registries that are affecting or blocking my DS4 from being detected.
CCleaner has a nice registry cleaning function built into it. Not sure it'll help, but if you haven't tried it or other registry cleaning options, might be worth as shot. It always finds a ton of dead/misdirected reg entries for me, which may or may not be a good thing, but been using it for 3-4 years without it causing my PC to implode after running it.