Q&A Nintendo Switch fan whine and Fire Emblem

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
So I got another switch a little less than 2 weeks ago and since then I've been mostly playing Fire Emblem. For about 40 hours things have been fine but today the switch started being very loud, enough to hear it over my TV. I let it rest for an hour and tried again and it was still whining though not as loud as before and I had to mute the TV to hear it. Then I tried a different game (hyrule warriors) and still heard whining. This is all docked by the way, I'm not a handheld person.

To anyone else playing FE is this noise normal? Or should I look into doing a return and swap for a new one while I still can (think I have 5 days left)?

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Not with FE but with Mario Odyssey in portable mode my fan would go crazy from time to time.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
My Switch fan noise have been making a very loud noise for months. The fan noise starts when I start it up, but after 1-2 min it goes back to normal.

It's weird. Have no solution for it so far.

Tenrius

For the Snark was a Boojum, you see
Sep 9, 2018
Mine is fairly quiet. Whenever the fan gains speed, it's more like a hum than a whine. It's also only noticeable if the environment is quiet.

Reactions: goat and lashman

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
To anyone else playing FE is this noise normal? Or should I look into doing a return and swap for a new one while I still can (think I have 5 days left)?
I didn't encounter this issue, even though I have my Switch always docked plus CPU overclock. The temp could rise because of dust accumulating, coming from the vent intake port on top of the unit, perhaps?

OP
Derrick01

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I didn't encounter this issue, even though I have my Switch always docked plus CPU overclock. The temp could rise because of dust accumulating, coming from the vent intake port on top of the unit, perhaps?
I've only had it for about 11 days now and when I'm not using it I toss a washcloth over it to stop dust from getting in so I don't think it's dust gathering. My room isn't that bad lol.

Yeah, I've been listening to Nintendo Switch fans whine since the release.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
I've only ever noticed the Switch fans when I've taken it out of the dock after playing for a while -- it's just softly vibrating though, no noise. Sounds like something might be wrong with yours?

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I've only had it for about 11 days now and when I'm not using it I toss a washcloth over it to stop dust from getting in so I don't think it's dust gathering. My room isn't that bad lol.
Haha. well, the only other thing I could think of is coil whine. You probably can swap the unit with another if that's the case.

OP
Derrick01

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Well I went ahead and swapped it out for a new one at best buy today. I was surprised how little push back they gave me since the thing technically works, but not complaining there. I guess I'm going to have to dump another 40+ hours into Fire Emblem to see if it's ok since that's about when the last one started acting up :p

Reactions: Crayon and lashman