PSA Now is the best time to play Pillars of Eternity 2, easily one of the greatest games of 2018

Anoregon

Dec 21, 2018
I'm not sure what happened to GAF Island in the end, but I think the people most involved and responsible for the process left GAF along with everybody else. There's a short FAQ on it in the OT on ERA, but no update in the OP.
There is an island and a related quest that was created as a result of the gaf community kickstarter, but nothing in the island or quest references gaf or anyone from gaf.

Reactions: lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Speaking about the GAF island, here's a little-known fact about another crowdfunded RPG. Wasteland 2 has a location dedicated to the RPG Codex, the lore of which was written by yours truly.
There was a bunker or something, even with a Codex statue , if I recall.
I don't remember the text, but it did bring a smile to my face at the time, so well done!

On the topic:
Alas, PoE2 won't run my laptop, which is all I have with me over the holidays, so I'll only be able to finish my playthrough of it in January.

Smash

#1 Member
Oct 23, 2018
Why did so many say that POE2 is a lesser experience than POE1? Is there any merit to that claim, or was that just the vocal minority? Or was that only true for the initial release of the game?

Anoregon

Dec 21, 2018
Why did so many say that POE2 is a lesser experience than POE1? Is there any merit to that claim, or was that just the vocal minority? Or was that only true for the initial release of the game?
The only thing that really jumps to mind is just that the main plotline of Deadfire is weak. I find it quite compelling conceptually, but the delivery is very uneven and the whole "race against Eothas" thread is totally at odds with the more relaxed pace that the free-form, exploratory nature of the game encourages. It can create a pretty significant disconnect.

On the gameplay front though I can't think of a way that Deadfire isn't superior to the original, especially now that the early lack of difficulty issues have been mostly resolved.

Reactions: Smash and lashman
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I agree with the other reply -- it must just have been about the main quest. Which honestly is somewhat disjointed and doesn't fit well with the reast of the game.

Everything else though is absolutely fantastic, and really, who cares about some gods when you have a full archipelago of intriguing factions and locations to explore and interact with?

Reactions: Smash and lashman

jim2point0

MetaMember
Dec 24, 2018
Is that turn-based mode still in the game?

I'd actually try this game out were that the case. It's just hard for me to get back into this combat for some reason.

It's also a pain in the butt leveling up each character slowly 1 at a time. I didn't see an auto-level feature for my side characters.

Anoregon

Dec 21, 2018
Is that turn-based mode still in the game?

I'd actually try this game out were that the case. It's just hard for me to get back into this combat for some reason.

It's also a pain in the butt leveling up each character slowly 1 at a time. I didn't see an auto-level feature for my side characters.
No, it hasn't even been officially acknowledged by Obsidian. If it is going to be a legit feature I imagine it will be announced (along with the ship battle changes) when they start talking about the next patch.

Arkanius

Dec 21, 2018
Yeah guys, is there a way to auto-level my party members? I don't like very much selecting everything for them. It's fine for people that love to min-max their classes, but for a first play, I'm not very interested into it.

Also, ship combat... what are the must haves to have my ship combat ready? I tried going to the island to meet the Principi right at the beginning of the game and got destroyed by a ship with like 50 people. Died both in ship combat and normal combat

Anoregon

Dec 21, 2018
There is an option somewhere in the settings to auto-level companions to match your level when they are first recruited, but you are still going to be in charge of their level-ups as they gain experience from being in your party.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Also, ship combat... what are the must haves to have my ship combat ready? I tried going to the island to meet the Principi right at the beginning of the game and got destroyed by a ship with like 50 people. Died both in ship combat and normal combat
Well, just like with normal combat, the first ruly is not to fight a battle you are clearly going to lose (like against a fully outfitted large ship around the beginning of the game.

Beyond that, I can't help you much, because my "strategy" for naval battles was to get my ship outfitted exclusively for speed (with 100+ meters per naval combat turn), get there (usually completely without getting hit), board them, and destroy them in normal combat.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
So is the DLC itself any good? I haven't touched the game since I finished it around launch time but I'd give it another go with DLC probably.

I don't know if this will work early in the game but eventually I found the best way was to charge towards each ship, board it and fight everyone in a normal battle. I really really hated the way ship combat was handled in that game.

Teggy

Patiently waiting for Wet 2
Dec 2, 2018
Just to reiterate my question from earlier, I was wondering how the DLC fits into 1 & 2 and when it’s meant to be played.

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018

Anoregon

Dec 21, 2018
Don't tell Durante. :censored:

As much as I enjoy turn-based combat (though great RTwP as well), I'm hesitant to believe this addition will be a great experience in a game that was never designed for it.
Yeah. I feel the same way. Pretty much every aspect of the game was designed with RTwP in mind - I can't imagine all the existing class mechanics translating all that smoothly to turn based. Still, I'm interested to see how it turns out.