Community Octopath Traveller adds Denuvo; puts absurdly high regional pricing on Steam

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
It just added Denuvo on the Store page.

Most baffling are the absurdly high regional prices. (Click on the heading links for more detailed price breakdown)
CurrencyStandard $60 Regional PricingOCTOPATH'S Regional Pricing
Russia
1085 ₽ (~$17)​
4499 ₽ (~$70)
India
₹ 1299 (~$19)​
₹ 4250 (~$61)
Turkey
TL 92 (~$15)​
TL 320(~$53)​

Argentina
ARS$ 649,99 (~$14)​
ARS$ 2389,99 (~$53)​

Mexico
Mex$ 527.99 (~$28)​
Mex$ 1399 (~$73)
Brazil
R$ 109,99 (~$27)​
R$ 226,99 (~$56)​

Ukraine
699₴ (~$27)​
1600₴ (~$61)
Thailand
฿699.00 (~$22)​
฿1899.00 (~$60)
Voice your concerns over on their Twitter

Digital Foundry's analysis :

Last edited:
OP
MegaApple

MegaApple

Sep 20, 2018
$1950 NT ($62 US) in Taiwan, when most new games launch for around $1600 ($50 US) and most people take home less than $600 US a month. Video games are expensive here, but Square-Enix and Capcom are particularly dumb about this kind of thing.
Going by the Steam's standard regional pricing for $60 price tag, you should be priced NT$ 858

Xiaomi

The Texas Hammer
May 12, 2019
Taiwan
Going by the Steam's standard regional pricing for $60 price tag, you should be priced NT$ 858
Yeah, but no one does that, unfortunately. I bought Sekiro for $1590 and that was on the cheap side for a new release. Most are up around $1690 or higher, with Capcom busting in with their cool-guy price of $1960 for RE2 and MHW, Rage 2 going for an aggressive $1799, and now this from Squeenix. It's no wonder console/PC gaming are barely a thing here except among foreigners/immigrants like me.

Last edited:
OP
MegaApple

MegaApple

Sep 20, 2018
Yeah, but no one does that, unfortunately. I bought Sekiro for $1590 and that was on the cheap side for a new release. Most are up around $1690 or higher, with Capcom busting in with their cool-guy price of $1960 for RE2 and MHW, Rage 2 going for an aggressive $1799, and now this from Squeenix. It's no wonder console/PC gaming are barely a thing here except among foreigners/immigrants like me.
THAT'S WHY THIS SHOULD BE PROTESTED!
For non-US customers, this is as bad as any MTX/Lootboxes or exclusivity deals.
Yeah, this. Especially for big publishers with $40-60 games. Indie games tend to follow the regional pricing guidelines.
Indie games will forever get my support and love because of this.

Reactions: crepuscule

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Terrible pricing, yup. No idea why they are doing this, I don't believe the absurd price will make up for all the lost sales in those regions.

Sadly big publishers are doing this often. Ubi games here in Argentina are very expensive; they went and raised the price of their old games for reasons unknown. The worst of the worst, however, is Konami, with regional prices that match the US price at best. and triple it at worst. I really should go through my wishlist and remove all of their games, because there's no fucking way I'll ever buy them at these exorbitant prices.

Reactions: MegaApple

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos
Apr 18, 2019
I'm just kind of confused how whoever it is at Square making these decisions can possibly look at Octopath and go "Hmmm... yeah, lets launch it at a higher price than we did FFXV with all of its expansions and PC specific additions bundled".

e:
Like.... if they'd put a fucking shit ton of PC specific features into this, like mod and workshop support so you can make your own stories and play as Chrono or some shit, yeah okay. But a late-ass bare bones port? Of a 'mid-tier' title?

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Correction - standard price for $60 is usually 1999 ₽ (~$30)
well it SHOULD be 1085spacebux .... that's volvo's guideline pricing .... the fact that pretty much all big publishers completely ignore that says a lot about them and how they view poorer countries

Like.... if they'd put a fucking shit ton of PC specific features into this, like mod and workshop support so you can make your own stories and play as Chrono or some shit, yeah okay. But a late-ass bare bones port? Of a 'mid-tier' title?
squeenix gonna squeenix

bbd23

Dec 9, 2018
83 canadian dollars lmao. thank god im not interested in this game. the demo was extremely boring when I played it on the switch

Reactions: Ryne

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
RionaaM Triple! WTF!? How the fuck can they think that people in those countries with vastly different cost-of-living can pay TRIPLE American prices? My mind is boggled right now.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
RionaaM Triple! WTF!? How the fuck can they think that people in those countries with vastly different cost-of-living can pay TRIPLE American prices? My mind is boggled right now.
No freaking idea, haha. It's crazy, either they have no idea how regional pricing works or they believe we eat shit.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
The price is ridiculous. There is no way it will sell well in those countries.

I was interesting in Octopath but I'll pass.

Edit: its even pricier than Rage 2 and Bethesda loves fucking up Brazilian regional prices.

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019
Octopath has been on my radar forever, and having a PC port is a dream. Hell is gonna have to freeze over before I drop more than $30 USD on this though. Its as though SE doesnt want the game to sell.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Honestly, I thought the price was a mistake, but it has been a day and SE haven't fixed it yet. Almost like they're sabotaging their own product.

Reactions: Ascheroth

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
This was a game I was super excited for when it was first revealed, but it seems to get nothing but criticism. The pricing is just one more reason to avoid it.

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
This was a game I was super excited for when it was first revealed, but it seems to get nothing but criticism. The pricing is just one more reason to avoid it.
Counter to what pre-release messaging would have you believe, I think that if you don't go in expecting a oldschool JRPG you'll probably have a better time. It just doesn't have the same scope or narrative cohesiveness of games like Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, or Dragon Quest. I was convinced it was gonna be one of those, so I was really disappointed when I found out that was not entirely the case. I ended up selling the game halfway into your crew's second chapters. The best part of Octopath is its battle system imo. If you like the aesthetic, that's a nice plus too. The writing didn't really do it for me either, but that's probably also a very subjective.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dandy
OP
MegaApple

MegaApple

Sep 20, 2018
Ubi games here in Argentina are very expensive; they went and raised the price of their old games for reasons unknown.
They did that for us in 2017, raised prices for ALL their games from 100%-150%. They lowered it down a bit, but it's still expensive than the previous prices.
Correction - standard price for $60 is usually 1999 ₽ (~$30)
What I mean by standard regional pricing is that Steam has put prices equivalent to it's USD counterpart for all supported currencies based on the purchasing power of the currency, taxes etc.
They've assigned 1085 ₽ to Russia.
See prices for Bloodlines 2 : Vampire: The Masquerade® - Bloodlines™ 2 · AppID: 532790
But most big publisher almost never adhere to this and manually put prices. Hence 1999 ₽ in most big name games.
Edit: its even pricier than Rage 2 and Bethesda loves fucking up Brazilian regional prices.
Damn!! This is nuts!
A quick reminder, Octopath is one the top ten of Steam's wishlist, but is nowhere near the top selling mark. That's what happen when you piss off your non-US customers.
Steam Search

Last edited:

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
Hope the title has room for an edit when we find out everything that's wrong with the port.

Reactions: lashman
OP
MegaApple

MegaApple

Sep 20, 2018
I've added Digital Foundry's analysis.
TL;DR effects are much better on PC thanks to added power, and 60 FPS. No issues that DF found.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Even with pricing? /s
And reviewbombing begins :minos_commie:
Is regional pricing off topic? Seems pretty on topic for people in said regions. Wonder how it turns out.

I've added Digital Foundry's analysis.
TL;DR effects are much better on PC thanks to added power, and 60 FPS. No issues that DF found.
Any mention of the blurry sprite scaling? Can't watch atm D:

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
To be fair, there's A LOT of "exposition moments" in this game even by JRPG standards. But I can't see how they'd come to realize that with 0.1 hrs of play time.
Well, perhaps it was too much for them even in 0.1 hrs they played, maybe they stuck at the menu and noped out of it after seeing so many unrecognizable words.