|OT| Oldie but Goldie!!

hanmik

A result of the time before Condoms.
Oct 9, 2018
Faroe Islands
We have new games coming every day, for console/PC/phone/TV etc. Most of them are great, but sometimes I like to look back at the old games, I used to play when I was young (which is a long time ago). It´s not only me, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft and the PC community like old games. Sony and Nintendo produce those small plastic replicas of famous consoles. Microsoft likes to publish B/C games on their new consoles.. And PC gamers love to buy old games from gog.com and other sites..

So why not use this forum to remember some of the good old games (or consoles) we loved as kids/teenagers.

Let me start out with one of the best Amiga Games ever made.

Moonstone: A Hard days Knight.

A fantastic action/adventure game from the very early 90´s.
Let me cite wikipedia:
The player takes on the role of a chosen knight who is sent by the druids to return the mystical 'moonstone' to Stonehenge. The game supports between 1 and 4 players at once, with the computer controlling any knights not controlled by human players as rival NPCs. Gameplay consists of two distinct modes: Turn based exploration and real time combat.

In turn based mode where each player can move a limited distance on the game's world map and visit various locations. Players will mostly visit the many dolmens that are scattered across the map. These places represent areas guarded by monsters. Visiting these dolmens will trigger the second main gameplay mode: real time combat. The player takes control of his chosen knight and attempts to defeat the monsters using sword combat similar to Barbarian (Palace Software) or Sword of Sodan.

Defeating the monsters rewards the player with treasures from that location. Success will also result in gaining one experience point (XP). These then can be distributed in one of the three abilities: Strength, Constitution and Endurance. The required amount of XP needed to advance varies according to the number of human controlled characters. This, combined with some powerful weapons that can be discovered or bought, can boost the player combat abilities. However, the difficulty of the game increases to compensate.

The overall objective of exploration is to find the lair that holds one of the four keys. The player who gathers together all four keys (either by finding them or by stealing them from rivals), will have access to the Valley of the Gods at the center of the map. The knight will have to fight against the Guardian in order to win a 'moonstone'. The moonstone corresponds randomly to a lunar phase, and grants the knight more power during that phase. The moonstone must be returned to Stonehenge for the game to be completed.

After some days, a dragon will appear and make regular sweeps across the land. In the event that an unskilled player is unfortunate enough to encounter the dragon early on in the game, defeat is almost inevitable.
I loved this game, it was hard as hell, but rewarding once you got the hang of it. It was something else when it launched, there was nothing like it on the market. I recently replayed it on my Vita with an emulator, it still holds up in 2018, and is still just as fun to play.

And in the same breath.. The AMIGA.

What an amazing computer, I swear that I have played almost every game ever published for the machine, many crap games, but also many AMAZING games. Just watch this short video showing some of the best games for the machine.

what is not to love about those games?

So what games/consoles would you like to remember in this thread? Let us know what Oldie but Goldie we should try out? (and yes I know most people call it "Oldie but Goodie", but I like Goldie better)

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
yup, good stuff .... the amount of time i spent in that game ... :p love it so much

Reactions: hanmik

Nahkapukki

Finest Finn
Sep 7, 2018
The Iciest Hole

This was one of my most played Amiga game back in the day along with Moonstone. Marvelous ambiance and great soundtrack. Not to mention all the manuals and lore that came in the box. Absolute beast of a game.
Post automatically merged:

Goddamn... So many goodies here.

Last edited:

Nahkapukki

Finest Finn
Sep 7, 2018
The Iciest Hole
I loved Hired Guns.. like you said, the atmosphere and everything was perfect..

I own a book called Commodore Amiga: a visual compendium..

Commodore Amiga: a visual Commpendium

I like to pull it out once in a while and just think back at all those games .. (shit I am going to start to cry now...)
My friend knows I love Amiga so he decided to buy me a book about... C64. 'Cause you know... They are the same device. I've never had to thank someone as awkwardly as I did that time. Then I had to explain that thinking that C64 is same as Amiga is to claim that NES and SNES are the same.
Post automatically merged:

Oh and remember the Midwinter series?! They were absolutely marvelous games hampered by the terrible UI. Wish they'd remake those in some form.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman and hanmik
OP
hanmik

hanmik

A result of the time before Condoms.
Oct 9, 2018
Faroe Islands
lol... was it this one?
Commodore 64: a visual Commpendium

I own that... but it is a big letdown if you compare it to the Amiga one.. the Amiga has much more substance and it gives you insight in so much stuff , like the Demo scene ..

talking about books.. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want this book.

The Art of Point-and-Click Adventure Games

this was (and actually still is) my fave type of game.. those games are amazing.
But it is only sold in the UK, and it costs a fucking farm to ship it to me..

just look at the amazing cover for the special edition of the book.

CrazyJuan

Pirate Legend
Oct 9, 2018
Great OP. I unfortunately never really had much interaction with the Amiga, looks like it was amazing for its day. I love retro gaming, I have a small collection of retro consoles and games that I try to expand regularly, nothing too fancy, playable systems and games, loose carts/cased CD. ect. As I posted on the forum I also do a weekly look at some of my favorite retro games on various OG hardware with the occasional exception for "classic" mini consoles and/or OG BC on Xbox (which is god damned amazing).

Its seems fitting to mention it here that Actraiser most recently got the treatment. (Again, as I used to do something similar on a podcast). I love the game a ton. I think it was fairly unique in its day, has a very solid aesthetic and OST, and was a great trailblazing title for what was possible on the relatively new SNES.

Nahkapukki

Finest Finn
Sep 7, 2018
The Iciest Hole
Great OP. I unfortunately never really had much interaction with the Amiga, looks like it was amazing for its day. I love retro gaming, I have a small collection of retro consoles and games that I try to expand regularly, nothing too fancy, playable systems and games, loose carts/cased CD. ect. As I posted on the forum I also do a weekly look at some of my favorite retro games on various OG hardware with the occasional exception for "classic" mini consoles and/or OG BC on Xbox (which is god damned amazing).

Its seems fitting to mention it here that Actraiser most recently got the treatment. (Again, as I used to do something similar on a podcast). I love the game a ton. I think it was fairly unique in its day, has a very solid aesthetic and OST, and was a great trailblazing title for what was possible on the relatively new SNES.
You totally should do some Amiga and PC games from 90's and late 80's era.

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
i haven't really played Enemy Unknown back in the day .... but i did spend an ENORMOUS amount of hours playing Terror From The Deep - such a great game

Reactions: Nahkapukki

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
Yeah, I funny enough never played xcom on Amiga... But a LOT on PS1... Even bought a fucking Playstation mouse especially for it... Fun times... You needed a full memory card for one save game... Luckily I got my crazy Pentium 133 shortly later :LOL:

Reactions: lashman

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
Dude, at that point in time it was...
Tie-fighter in svga from cd Rom... SHIT WAS THE FUTURE

Fucking 4 MB ram man

But I had of course played it on my friends PCs before...

Xcom I mean

Last edited:

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018

The original Age of Empires. I was big into Ancient and Medieval period (thanks to some beautiful encyclopedias in my school) and this game grabbed me like nothing else.
AoE II gets a lot of praise, but everyone forgets how big AoE 1 was before it was overtaken.