News Overwatch 2 Cinematic & Gameplay Trailers

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

So people say it's actually a bit like what I was proposing, it includes all of 1 and 1 will be updated to match and cross play in terms of PVP (the new hero and modes and stuff will also come for free to OW1), they just call it a 2 and there's also an in-universe reason/thing to call it Overwatch 2.

That's way better than what I thought, a PVE focused product that somehow would wish to succeed/surpass a PVP one.

I'm confused about the engine, people say 1's won't be updated, but if there's PVP parity why not do that and instead have to patch two variants every time?

Last edited:
Reactions: Arsene
OP
Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
More details here, it confirms PVP parity with the original yet the PR keeps stressing it's the sequel with a new engine and stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arsene

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Didn't they say the engine update was for PvE? If so there's no reason they couldn't keep PvP parity.

OP
Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
It also talks about the visual enhancements and stuff in the PR, surely that applies to the PVP portion in 2 too, or one mode will look worse than the other?

Either way why not put everything on the same engine version regardless. That way the PVP could also take advantage of the larger map capabilities etc.

Anyway I don't even play much PVP, I have no idea how I ended up buying Overwatch 1, I've barely played it, I'm just saying it seems counter intuitive.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
The Overwatch client will merge with the Overwatch 2 client. There will only be one game. "OW2" will be the client that everyone will use. People who have not bought OW2 will simply have the "PVE" locked.

This is exactly what Epic does with Fortnite and it works really well. It is the best way they could have done it. Though I would have preferred them to go all in on next gen.

OP
Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
That would be the natural intuitive way to do it (although pricing comes into play then, why should someone who has OW1 buy 2 at full price and not as an expansion if someone who buys just 2 gets all the same content without having already paid anything else for OW1, but I guess they've not announced it yet), I was just commenting on what I had heard up to that point wondering why they'd do it so weirdly/unintuitively. If your version is confirmed then it makes sense.

Last edited: