【About】
Official Website: Phantasy Star Online 2 - Official Site
MS Store Link | Steam Link
Developer: Sega
Publisher: Sega
Release Date: June 9th, 2021
Platforms: Xbox, Windows 10, Steam

【Plot】
Create your own protagonist with the ultimate Character Creation, and become a member of ARKS, a group that fights unknown enemies on the planet Halpha, where the story takes place. Exploring the open-world environment, you will meet other players and team up to defeat enemies and develop your character. You’re also able to transfer data from PSO2 without changing the character’s appearance, however you will start again from Level 1. All players will start PSO2:NGS from similar starting points.

Your protagonist, a Meteorn, lands in a pod on a small island in West Aelio of planet Halpha. Aina, an ARKS apprentice, and Manon, another Meteorn, happen upon and aid the confused protagonist. Garoa – Aina’s father and a hero of West Aelio – also joins them. These three characters guide and welcome the protagonist to Aelio Town, a place where cheerful and friendly Arks live.

【New Features & System】

• Move Instantly Across the Field with the Teleport Functionality!

Explore the unknown fields and regions of the vast open world and fill in the world map. Use the teleport functionality in the Ryuker Devices and Cocoons you find to travel instantly! You can also use it to meet up with your friends!

• Multi-weapons System

A function that allows you to take two weapons from the same Weapon Series and combine them!

This allows you to place 2 different Weapon Actions on1 Weapon Palette. For instance, after executing a powerful close-range attack with a Sword, you can dodge and counterattack using the Weapon Action of an Assault Rifle! Also, since the Enhancement Level and Augments of the base weapon are applied to the new weapon, you’ll save on Enhancement materials!

•Preset Skills System

In rare cases, when weapons and armor drop, you may be able to obtain items that give Preset Skills. Preset Skills cannot be changed or removed. They are unique, additional skills granted by chance when an item drops. As there are multiple types – such as those that increase damage or critical hit rate – once you’ve obtained equipment with Preset Skills you won’t want to give them up.

• Salon Expansions

More editable parts have been added to the Salon! With the addition of being able to freely set the location where accessories attach, as long as you stay within budget, you can attach multiple accessories however you like!

Moreover, as more body parts have become editable, such as teeth, tongue, skin texture (shine), and more you have even more options to customize your character! Make sure to save your favorite expressions and outfits in your Lookbook!

• Changing Motions

By Changing Motions you can modify some character actions to look different! The target actions are Standby, Move, Jump, Landing, Dash, Glide, and Swim. You can create characters more in line with your imagination!

【New Actions】

• Photon Dash

Photon Dash is an action that allows you to move at high-speed! Initiate Photon Dash by pressing and holding the Sidestep button or key. During Photon Dash, your jumping power will increase, allowing you to jump to higher ground. This action is useful for moving around in the field and during exploration!

•Photon Glide

Photon Glide allows you to move in the air! It can be initiated by pressing and holding the jump button or key; or jump again during two-stage jumping. During Photon Glide your fall speed will slow and this can be used in various situations, such as battling huge enemies or exploring the field in lofty areas!

• Wall Kicking

Wall Kicking is an action that allows you to kick the wall and jump higher! Since you will be able to go to areas that you can't reach with normal jumping, remember to use it to your advantage and take your exploration to the next level!

【Map Gimmicks】

• Cocoons

Cocoons are a type of training facility, called Trainia, that are scattered across Halpha. Each cocoon will have specific goals for the player to clear. By clearing these goals, you can earn Skill Points!

• Towers

Towers are larger and more difficult training facilities than Cocoons. You can receive more Skill Points by clearing them!

•Region Mags

When exploring different areas, you may discover a Region Mag. Give them some items you’ve gathered and something good may happen!

•Dromes

You may encounter Dromes in the Vanford Laboratory Ruins. Though initially aggressive, attacking and defeating it will help you grow stronger!

【Trials】

• Retrieving Stella Packs

Stella Packs are Trials in which Item Containers fall from space. The area around the impact site will be engulfed in smoke, and enemies will appear. Defeat all the enemies to claim your Stella Pack!

• Intercept the DOLLS Control System

This is a Trial in which a DOLLS Control System and many DOLLS will appear. In addition to avoiding the dangerous attacks of the DOLLS, additional enemy fire will rain down from above. Pay close attention to the attacks and you may discover a way to reach the DOLLS Control System! Avoid the barrage and destroy the DOLLS Control System!

• Assembly Point Clearance

Assembly Points are a Trial in which a swarm of enemies will appear. Clear out the enemies while navigating obstacles , such as attacks from out-of-reach enemies or the appearance of units that heal enemies, called Tendals.

【Media】

Plot
Welcome to Oracle, an intergalactic fleet at the forefront of deep-space travel and exploration. You are the newest recruit of ARKS, a task force dedicated to surveying and monitoring the biospheres of inhospitable planets while scouting for signs of a corrupted force that seeks to shroud the universe in darkness.

The home base for ARKS is the fleet of Oracle, comprised of countless city-sized ships inhabited by denizens of four species: Humans, Newmans, CAST, and Deumans. These races come together as ARKS Operatives, with each member selecting one of nine classes and training in combat with eighteen different weapons, often enhanced by the manipulation of cosmic energies known as Photons. As a member of ARKS, you will train and undertake missions to prepare for a single goal: protecting the universe from the threat of the organization’s most prominent enemy, the Falspawn.

Races
Race and gender affect a character's appearance, voice, and stat growth, although unlike the original Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Universe, the differences are not drastic. All race and gender combinations can access all of the available Classes. Former racial abilities, such as setting traps or casting Techniques, are now Class abilities.

(S-ATK = Melee, R-ATK = Ranged, T-ATK = Technique)

Classes
In PSO2, Classes determine the weapons a player can equip, as well as their overall playstyle. A player can freely change their Class at the ARKS Lobby's Class Counter. Experience, stats, and skills for each Class are tallied separately. It is possible for a single character to reach the maximum Level in every Class, but only the stats and abilities of the currently selected Class will count.

Nine classes are available to choose from:
  • Hunter : Standard Striking Class. Boasts high survivability and good for solo play.
  • Ranger : Standard Ranged Class. Mid-line attacker that functions excellently with party members.
  • Force : Standard Tech Class. Versatile back row attacker/supporter that brings heavy firepower.
  • Fighter : Specialized Striking Class. High power front-line attacker that gives up survivability for offense.
  • Gunner : Specialized Ranged Class. High power front-line attacker that thrives on burst damage.
  • Techer : Specialized Tech Class. Powerful supporter with strong survivability and versatile kit.
  • Braver : Striking/Ranged hybrid Class. Has access to two very different weapons that give it fast, yet powerful offense.
  • Bouncer : Striking/Tech hybrid Class. Focuses on mobilizing around enemy weak points while providing passive support to team mates.
  • Summoner : A different kind of Class that utilizes Pets to control the battlefield, with strong offense and defense in nearly every situation.
When starting the game for the first time, players will only be able to see six out of the nine classes in the selection screen. If you cannot find the class of your choice, choose any class and complete the tutorial, then visit Class Consultant Bhea in the Gate Area of the ARKS Ship to switch classes at any time.

MAGs
MAGs are equippable companions for hunters in Phantasy Star Online 2. They provide stat boosts to a hunter's ATP, DFP, ATA and MST as they gain levels through being given items. All MAGs (whether it's the one equipped to the character at initial creation or found later) start out at level 5 with 5 DEF points already assigned. MAGs have four stats that can be increased, which will then increase the stats of a character that it is then equipped to.

When MAGs reach certain levels, they can change form, or 'evolve'. The first three evolutions ALWAYS happen at level 10, level 35 and level 50. When a MAG evolves, it learns a powerful ability known as a Photon Blast, and that's when the player character can use the PB gauge (after the first evolution).

Gameplay
Mechanics

New features in PSO2 that were not in PSO include the ability to jump over short obstacles and attack in mid-air, to take evasive maneuvers such as dashing and teleporting, and to hold buttons to charge up stronger versions of attacks and techniques (although this game mechanic was introduced in Phantasy Star Zero). Players are able to create their own combo attacks by chaining different Photon Arts and Techniques.

Quests and Instances
Gameplay is online and quest-based, with quests taking place in instances on a planet and in an area determined by the quest. Most instances are single-party and accommodate 4 players, but a few are multi-party and accommodate up to 12. The party matchup system allows players to search for and join parties running the same quest.

Each quest has its own objective, but some quest instances also contain "Emergency Code" events; short tasks with special clearance conditions and bonus rewards upon success. Unless stated otherwise, Emergency Codes are optional. A party cannot return to the ARKS Lobby while a quest is underway. Instead, a small, private space called a Campship serves as a party's base of operations during a quest.

Client Orders provide additional rewards for undertaking various challenges on quests, such as defeating enemies with a certain weapon type, completing a quest within a time limit, or procuring enemy drops in a "fetch quest" style task.

Open-world instances are also available. These allow many parties to travel the same map and can potentially have a much higher player population than other quest instances. Enemies and Emergency Codes respawn in these open world instances, which is helpful for Client Orders.

In-depth Guides

Last edited:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
You need screenshots. I want screenshots.
Other than that...
... :cat-heart-blob:

The class descriptions will be useful to get an idea of my possible character.

Reactions: texhnolyze

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Changing my location to play a MMO sent to die or not :thinking-face:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Changing my location to play a MMO sent to die or not :thinking-face:
It's just the region setting in Windows, it doesn't even require a restart of your PC or anything.
And after the download you can switch back and can still start it.
Source: I tried :p

I do wonder how this will work if there will be a European version eventually though? Will you need to make new characters? Or just a "global" thing and you can use your character wherever?
Though on the other hand I would want to be on the server as you all anyway (even if I usually prefer to play solo and knowing myself I'm just going to give it a try and will not stick around too long :p )

• Toucan
Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I am the Alpha and the Omega of laziness.
I should play Xenogears

On a more serious note, this is easy but there are issues though, you better not want to buy MTX. Well I guess US MS points are not that hard to get.

Reactions: Ascheroth

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
It's just the region setting in Windows, it doesn't even require a restart of your PC or anything.
And after the download you can switch back and can still start it.
Source: I tried :p

I do wonder how this will work if there will be a European version eventually though? Will you need to make new characters? Or just a "global" thing and you can use your character wherever?
Though on the other hand I would want to be on the server as you all anyway (even if I usually prefer to play solo and knowing myself I'm just going to give it a try and will not stick around too long :p )
Personally I'm hoping they add "ships" (servers) located in Europe. Since the XBox beta there have been 6 ships listed, but 3 of them have been permanently offline (ship 4, 5 and 6), I'm hoping those could be for a future EU version.

I think EU ships are needed because the NA schedule for urgent quests (quests available for a limited time) is not friendly at all to the EU timezones, plus there is one future game mode that doesn't work well with high ping (battle arena mode).

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
On a more serious note, this is easy but there are issues though, you better not want to buy MTX. Well I guess US MS points are not that hard to get.
Unlikely. But good point, I didn't think of that.

Personally I'm hoping they add "ships" (servers) located in Europe. Since the XBox beta there have been 6 ships listed, but 3 of them have been permanently offline (ship 4, 5 and 6), I'm hoping those could be for a future EU version.

I think EU ships are needed because the NA schedule for urgent quests (quests available for a limited time) is not friendly at all to the EU timezones, plus there is one future game mode that doesn't work well with high ping (battle arena mode).
I see. That would make sense then.
Are your characters bound to a "ship" or can use them wherever you want? As in, play with some folks on an NA ship but then jump to an EU ship with the same character for one of those quests?

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Unlikely. But good point, I didn't think of that.
Admittedly :drinking-blob:

Are your characters bound to a "ship" or can use them wherever you want? As in, play with some folks on an NA ship but then jump to an EU ship with the same character for one of those quests?
You want a consumer friendly MMO that doesn't charge you through the nose to change server ? :so-good-blob:

• Toucan

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
They're bound to a ship, on the JP servers it's possible to transfer to a different ship for a real life money fee (the transfer only happens during maintenance though), but I think this service isn't available on NA yet.

On another note, it's possible to create characters on multiple ships. I think the 3 free chars limit only applies to a single ship (so, I think it's possible to create 3 chars per ship without paying, but I'm not sure about this).

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
One note, seems like the NA version has the same resolution limitations as the JP version.
The game supports resolutions higher than 1080p by using the borderless option, but, the UI scaling options max out at 1080p, so the UI is unplayably tiny at 4K.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I should have known that the words "just download it and give it a quick try" and "Microsoft Store" are not compatible.
Of course the patch download from the launcher failed for whatever reason and now I can't even start the launcher anymore - it tries to update itself to a newer version (which it already did the first time) only to crash immediately.
(It says it can't find something under C:programFiles/WindowsApps which is obvious because I told it to install the damn thing on E. And of course the files and exes are there on E but you can't start things manually because Microsoft insists on not give you permission for that)

Downloading and installing a game is after all one of the seven mysteries of the universe that Microsoft has not cracked yet.

I guess I need a reminder every know and then that engaging with the Microsoft Store is not worth it even for free.
Mission aborted, see you whenever it is available somewhere that actually works, I have better things to do than troubleshooting this useless garbage. Sigh.

• Toucan
Reactions: ezodagrom

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
No surprises there, MS store is trash as usual, I kept seeing people on the official forums and twitter replying to those that asked for a Steam version with the usual "MS store is just another launcher", and... well, the technical issues official forum is quite a sight now...

• Toucan

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
For those that actually manage to go through the MS store without issues, there's someone reporting on reddit that the NVidia drivers released today fix the stuttering in the lobby.

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Just learned that Ship 2 is full already, while the other Ships are just at normal capacity. Damn it.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
The preload thing was pointless when the launcher also has to download something.

It is still downloading something 6 hours later.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Not my experience.

My issue was the PSO launcher itself. It was faster to let it download, cancel, download, cancel, download.
Yet in the store, I was getting 75mb/s for the preload. lol

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
I´m on Ship 3 if anyone wanna party.

TioChuck is my name on the game too.

Reactions: Li Kao
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Every ship is full, but I can actually login to ship 2. Just finished the tutorial mission, that'll be all for today.

(Banshee x Unicorn inspired CAST)

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
In case anyone is still hesitant to install the game with all the nightmarish reports, ARKS Layer community has completed the Tweaker support for NA. It's still in beta and you still need to launch the game from UWP launcher, but it can help with downloading and all the issues that come with Windows store.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Posted this in the Steam thread, also posting here:

PSO2, the fan made launcher that is used for the english patch in the JP version (PSO2 Tweaker) now supports the NA version, it bypasses the MS store and fixes the major issues, like download/installation issues, faster download of the game, fixes the game deleting itself, and even the lobby stuttering (though for those that already have the game installed, seems like a fresh install would be recommended):

Link for the tweaker:

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Posted this in the Steam thread, also posting here:

PSO2, the fan made launcher that is used for the english patch in the JP version (PSO2 Tweaker) now supports the NA version, it bypasses the MS store and fixes the major issues, like download/installation issues, faster download of the game, fixes the game deleting itself, and even the lobby stuttering (though for those that already have the game installed, seems like a fresh install would be recommended):

Link for the tweaker:
Did all this, redownloaded the whole game as recommended, and my game has considerable less sttuter on the lobby.

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
The game somehow still age pretty well, even though the textures have shown its age. Not sure if it received some graphical upgrades somewhere in the past. It also reminds me of Xenoblade X for some reason, but this looks better albeit not open world.

I found myself taking lots of screenshots.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
The game somehow still age pretty well, even though the textures have shown its age. Not sure if it received some graphical upgrades somewhere in the past. It also reminds me of Xenoblade X for some reason, but this looks better albeit not open world.

I found myself taking lots of screenshots.

It got a graphical upgrade with the release of the PS4 version.
In the launcher, there's a graphics quality slider that goes from 1 to 6, before the PS4 release 5 was the max.

Before and after pics of a flower field in the forest:

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Tbh, I can barely notice the lobby lag even though I never apply the fix. I'm not sure if it's automatically implemented by using the tweaker though, because I can't find it in the settings either. I only disable the lobby video (very early optimization tips) and it seems to work quite well so far.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
F[UWSL][UWSL]or those curious, I made a summary of content that was released on JP starting from the point where the NA version is now, not including seasonal urgent quests and limited time events (except one). [/UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL][UWSL](Also I tried to avoid spoilers, like boss names).[/UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL][UWSL] [/UWSL][/UWSL]

Tbh, I can barely notice the lobby lag even though I never apply the fix. I'm not sure if it's automatically implemented by using the tweaker though, because I can't find it in the settings either. I only disable the lobby video (very early optimization tips) and it seems to work quite well so far.
As long as it works fine. ^^

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
F[UWSL][UWSL]or those curious, I made a summary of content that was released on JP starting from the point where the NA version is now, not including seasonal urgent quests and limited time events (except one). [/UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL][UWSL](Also I tried to avoid spoilers, like boss names).[/UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL][UWSL] [/UWSL][/UWSL]
Wow, there's still a whole lot of content not in the current version yet. But even so, I'm still overwhelmed by content at the current state.

Hitting level 50 soon.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Wow, there's still a whole lot of content not in the current version yet. But even so, I'm still overwhelmed by content at the current state.

Hitting level 50 soon.
You're reaching the start of when the difficulty starts to ramp up, from now on you'll start seeing faster and more aggressive enemies, bosses having changes in their patterns (as the difficulty goes up, they start having less delays between their attacks, they start doing more attacks in a row), and major bosses may also get new attacks (the ones from urgent quests).

On another note, a couple of screenshots from the JP version:

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Nice!
I'll probably give it another try if it releases in Europe and on a platform where downloading and starting the dang thing actually works.

tet666

Dec 21, 2018
Nice!
I'll probably give it another try if it releases in Europe and on a platform where downloading and starting the dang thing actually works.
There probably won't be a eu version and it at least gameplaywise doesn't really matter since everything apart from the lobby is client side/p2p.
With a steam version the current payment restrictions for eu players shouldn't be a problem anymore either.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
There probably won't be a eu version and it at least gameplaywise doesn't really matter since everything apart from the lobby is client side/p2p.
With a steam version the current payment restrictions for eu players shouldn't be a problem anymore either.
We are also working hard to introduce this legendary online action RPG to a global audience this year. We will have more information about the regions where the game will become available in the near future.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
News for both PSO2 NA and JP.

For NA, an exclusive event has started, with an USA independence day theme:

And for JP, the final boss for the current JP expansion, Episode 6, has gotten a trailer (boss fight being released in September for JP, and sometime next year for NA):

• Toucan
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Online action RPG Phantasy Star Online 2, well known for its unparalleled character customization and battle action which captivated the world, announced its latest entry to the PSO2 universe called Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis.

One of the goals for PSO2: NGS is to create the ultimate PSO2 in which the time-tested elements are kept intact, while the game design, gameplay, and graphics engine will be completely redesigned and reborn in all aspects. We are working very hard to offer players unparalleled character customization, limitless adventure, and the best action online RPG available on the Xbox One or PC. Also, PSO2: NGS will support Xbox Series X in the future.

• Love

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Follow up trailer with more info:

Summary:
  • Open-Field Online RPG
  • Time & Weather System
  • Photon Dash & Photon Glide
  • PSO2 <-> PSO2:NGS Compatibility
  • Base PSO2 will remain active and will only get the graphics update
  • Shared Emotes and other registered data (implies cosmetics like inner wear, base wear, accessories, hairstyles, ...)
  • You start PSO2:NGS as Lv.1 with no Meseta
  • Equipment from PSO2 can be used in PSO2:NGS

Now all I need is an European version with ships located here, I will actually move over from JP to EU if that happens. The only thing I really want cosmetics wise that I already have on JP is my current char's hairstyle, which is from an Ep4 story character. I really hope an EU version happens before that hair releases. :<

Blizniak

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2018
So I guess they're dropping Vita at this point, or will PSO2 still live on there? I might actually check New Genesis out at some point because it looks nice. I've never played any Phantasy Star though.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Maybe I'm stupid but I still don't really understand what this is. Japanese dev have just the right way of complexifying the simplest update.