|OT| PSO2 - New Genesis | Phantasy Star Online 2-2

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Fought against the final boss urgent quest on the JP version, what a finale, it makes me eager to see what kinds of bosses SEGA is gonna pull off in NGS.

From the EN side of things, the final chapter of the Episode 4 story is now out, which includes a high difficulty optional fight (story only). No casual mode, no half dolls, and healing is very reduced in this fight.

Reactions: texhnolyze

Blu

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
I heard there's some fan made launcher that makes updating less painful. Is it this?

They mention it will work better for a fresh install for the Windows store version, does that apply to the steam version too or can I just do it without downloading the whole game again?

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I heard there's some fan made launcher that makes updating less painful. Is it this?

They mention it will work better for a fresh install for the Windows store version, does that apply to the steam version too or can I just do it without downloading the whole game again?
Yes, the Tweaker was pretty useful, if not necessary. The thing is, there were many sorts of problems with installing the game, from WinStore to the PSO2 launcher itself. The former is Microsoft's fault, the latter is on SEGA. After you finished downloading the initial files from WinStore, the PSO2 launcher will be opened to download the rest of the files. Problems may arise in both sessions. The Tweaker eliminated all the hustles by downloading everything through it seamlessly.

Anyway, even the Steam version still opens the PSO2 launcher, where the majority of the files will be downloaded. Steam will only download like 11GB of files, then the rest is through the launcher, just like the WinStore version. But it seems that they've improved everything since launch and the launcher is working as intended now.

Blu

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
Yes, the Tweaker was pretty useful, if not necessary. The thing is, there were many sorts of problems with installing the game, from WinStore to the PSO2 launcher itself. The former is Microsoft's fault, the latter is on SEGA. After you finished downloading the initial files from WinStore, the PSO2 launcher will be opened to download the rest of the files. Problems may arise in both sessions. The Tweaker eliminated all the hustles by downloading everything through it seamlessly.

Anyway, even the Steam version still opens the PSO2 launcher, where the majority of the files will be downloaded. Steam will only download like 11GB of files, then the rest is through the launcher, just like the WinStore version. But it seems that they've improved everything since launch and the launcher is working as intended now.
Oh I heard it made the operation progress download quicker or something.

I'm guessing it just made it stable because of the WinStore version.

So is it unnecessary for the steam version? It won't make the progress download any faster?

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Oh I heard it made the operation progress download quicker or something.

I'm guessing it just made it stable because of the WinStore version.

So is it unnecessary for the steam version? It won't make the progress download any faster?
Honestly, I'm not sure because I never did it. My current Steam client was a copy from the WinStore version, so I never had to re-download the game when the Steam version launched last month.

If you want to be sure, just use the Tweaker even for Steam version to download the game. After you can actually play the game, you can ditch it and start the game from Steam as usual.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Actually, the Steam version downloads all the content up to the release of Episode 4 through Steam itself (close to 70GB download or so), only updates after that will be distributed through the game's launcher.

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Actually, the Steam version downloads all the content up to the release of Episode 4 through Steam itself (close to 70GB download or so), only updates after that will be distributed through the game's launcher.
I see. I guess that explains the lack of complaints regarding the launcher lol. They should've done that since the beginning with WinStore version.

Blu

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
So there's supposed to be a Monster Hunter aspect to this game where you and some friends can go and tackle on some big monsters correct? I was able to convince some friends who like MH to download the game and give it a try . Can someone direct me to where I can get these missions ready for us so I can set this up and get them into the action. Is there a list of bosses somewhere I can look at?

Last edited:
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
So there's supposed to be a Monster Hunter aspect to this game where you and some friends can go and tackle on some big monsters correct? I was able to convince some friends who like MH to download the game and give it a try . Can someone direct me to where I can get these missions ready for us so I can set this up and get them into the action. Is there a list of bosses somewhere I can look at?
At first, you'll need to do a series of tutorial quests (they're called client order in this game). By simply following Alvin's quests, you'll reach level 10 or more. After the game is opened up, then you can proceed with hunting bosses by clearing expedition missions (they're called quests here). Unlike Monster Hunter, the boss or main target is not roaming in the map randomly, but they'll be waiting for you in the last zone instead (most expeditions have 3 zones). The boss will be highlighted in the quest window like this (Suppression target: Vol Dragon):

Each exploration has multiple difficulty levels, from normal to super hard. However, that's not all. Just like Monster Hunter, there are random events too where another boss can spawn while you're exploring. These events are called emergency code. There are lots of emergency code types in PSO2, and one of them will spawn a boss (or two!) in front of you, which is called "Duel".

The more you unlock the expedition maps and bosses, the more boss variety that will invade your exploration. That said, certain bosses will only spawn in certain maps, as far as I'm aware.

Reactions: Blu

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
PSO2 EN changed their urgent quest listings to google calendar, here's an embed version:

The embed calendar is in PDT by default, but its region can be changed by adding this at the end of the link:
&ctz=Europe/London
This is for the London timezone, but other timezones are possible. Here's the list of the accepted timezone names, column TZ database name:

On another note, new-ish urgent quest next week, an enhanced version of Yamato with different spawns, different patterns in the AIS phase, and a 4 player rematch after the urgent period.

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
PSO2 EN changed their urgent quest listings to google calendar, here's an embed version:

The embed calendar is in PDT by default, but its region can be changed by adding this at the end of the link:
&ctz=Europe/London
This is for the London timezone, but other timezones are possible. Here's the list of the accepted timezone names, column TZ database name:

On another note, new-ish urgent quest next week, an enhanced version of Yamato with different spawns, different patterns in the AIS phase, and a 4 player rematch after the urgent period.
Hell yes! This is what I've been waiting, localized UQ schedule.

I have to rely on the Discord alerts for the UQs thus far, but they're only useful for the next events coming in 30 minutes.

Reactions: ezodagrom

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Watching the new genesis stream.

• Running and Gliding are in
  • JA is dead:astonished-face:
  • Force can guard👀

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia

Soooo much changes, I didn't expect this.

It's truly open world now. It's set on a single planet with different environments. Mates are no more either, you only have 1 healing "potion" which you can charge by picking up herbs. The classes have completely revamped too.,

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
This looks soooooooo good! Counter is amazing!

Edit: No quest acceptance is needed?!

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
This looks soooooooo good! Counter is amazing!

Edit: No quest acceptance is needed?!
Yep, seems like so. As you go from lobby to an area or from one area to a different area, you're automatically matchmaked with other groups (up to 8 players max, while remaining in your current party of up to 4 players).

EDIT: Someone made a video with only the in-game parts of PSO2 NGS that were shown on tokyo game show:

Last edited:
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Here's a recap from Bumped.

Here's some interesting tidbits. More about classes and combat in the link above.
  • Unlike previous games in the Phantasy Star series, New Genesis allows you to travel seamlessly across different sections.
  • When you login, you'll start in the lobby where you can meet up with many players.
  • You can just leave the lobby by just running out into the adventure area.
  • You'll match with up to 8 players in a section.
  • You could start off in a forest and then continue running into another section and seamlessly match up with different players.
  • Dash lets you move quickly across the field.
  • Glide lets you descend from high to low areas.
  • Items for healing will not be available at shops.
  • Instead, healing items called "Resta Signs" will be scattered across the field.
  • You can heal in the heat of battle without having to stop what you're doing like in PSO2.
  • In New Genesis, up to 5 continuous normal attacks can be performed.
  • The first four have normal stats, but the 5th strike would be as powerful as a PA.
  • There are no perfect attacks (Just attacks) in New Genesis.
  • The adventure area has multiple sections that are seamlessly spread out.
  • There are two types of sections: exploration and battle.
    • Exploration sections lets you gather materials and ingredients.
    • Battle sections are where you mainly engage with enemies.
  • In the exploration section, you can jump and pick fruit from the trees.
  • You can also gather materials from tame animals.
  • You can use these materials for cooking which provide temporary boosts.
  • Within combat sections, there's yellow markers that indicate the enemy spawns.
  • The Dolls are the main enemies in New Genesis, but there are other enemy types.
  • Trials (known as Interrupt Events in PSO2) will occur randomly in the field.
    • Trials will display as a T marker on the field.

Reactions: Cacher

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
The 8 player limit is a bit disappointing/surprising. I like the scale of 12 player stuff.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
The 8 player limit is a bit disappointing/surprising. I like the scale of 12 player stuff.
12 players exploration/expedition quests, ever since the JP launch 8 years ago, SEGA has been terrible at balancing those because of the 12 player limit.

Since there's not always people playing this kind of content, it needs to be playable with small or large groups, or even soloable, and with enemies not having HP scaling depending on the size of the group, we either have enemies having way too little HP for 12 players for the sake of these quests being playable with smaller groups, or we have stuff like the Ultra Hard expeditions on JP atm where the enemies have too much HP for smaller groups/solo, but they still are obliterated by 12 player groups.

12 players expeditions have just never worked in the current PSO2 balancing wise (plus the current PSO2 is a complete mess visually and audio wise when 12 players are attacking the same enemy/boss), so I welcome NGS having an 8 player limit for the open fields.

Though, while the open field battle areas have an 8 players limit, this doesn't mean that other types of content will have the same limit, I noticed that the non-battle areas of NGS actually have a 32 player limit (the harvesting/gathering sections).

It's also possible that there could be instanced content outside of the exploration areas with a higher player limit too.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Yeah I don't really mind having a lower limit in expeditions, but it would be a bit sad if things like urgent quests were limited to 8 players.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Yeah I don't really mind having a lower limit in expeditions, but it would be a bit sad if things like urgent quests were limited to 8 players.
Yeah, I hope some kinds of content in NGS have higher player limits too, like 12 or even more, content that would be designed for those large groups. Stuff like the mining base quests in the current PSO2 are the kind of content where more players work well.

On another note, in the incoming Episodes 5 and 6 for the current PSO2, other than new 12 player urgent quests, there's also gonna be a few 8 player ones too.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
There's multiple campaigns about to start for PSO2 EN as we approach Episode 6, including a limited time quest (which was an anniversary event quest on the JP version):

Based on the dates of the campaigns, the Episode 5 final boss urgent quest is coming out this wednesday.

Also, details about Episode 6 have been announced, though no date yet:

• New Story
  • Player Level cap increased to 95
  • New Classes – Phantom & Étoile
  • New Summoner Pets – Herbie and Vulcan
  • New Urgent Quests
  • New Quest Type – Risk Exploration
  • Arms Extension
  • New Quest Difficulty – Ultra-Hard (UH)
  • New ARKS Missions
  • New Rising Weapons Badge
  • New Enemy Type – Luminmech and Ultra Enemies
  • New Seasonal Events
  • New Mission Pass Season
  • Exciting new Titles to earn
  • Additional Recommended Quest – Level Up Quest
  • New Collection Folders – Legendary 15★ Collection Folder, 14★ Eggs Collection 1
  • New Bonus Quest – Special Mission: Tokyo [Rainbow]
  • New Practice Quests – Étoile, Phantom, AIS Vega
  • New S-Grade Augments
  • New 15★ Weapons at Zig Shop
  • New 13★ Units at Zig Shop
  • 13★ Units can be have S-class Augments - S6, S7, S8

PhaZZe

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
There's multiple campaigns about to start for PSO2 EN as we approach Episode 6, including a limited time quest (which was an anniversary event quest on the JP version):

Based on the dates of the campaigns, the Episode 5 final boss urgent quest is coming out this wednesday.

Also, details about Episode 6 have been announced, though no date yet:

what i need to do to unlock the new classes?

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
what i need to do to unlock the new classes?
It's the same requirement as Hero, having 2 of the original 9 classes at lvl 75, so if you already have Hero unlocked, you'll unlock Phantom and Étoile whenever Ep6 releases.

Same thing for the future Luster class that was released on JP recently (gunblade only class), but this one will only come out in the EN version sometime early next year.

• Hug
Reactions: PhaZZe

PhaZZe

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
It's the same requirement as Hero, having 2 of the original 9 classes at lvl 75, so if you already have Hero unlocked, you'll unlock Phantom and Étoile whenever Ep6 releases.

Same thing for the future Luster class that was released on JP recently (gunblade only class), but this one will only come out in the EN version sometime early next year.
Thanks for always answering me! <3

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
This was announced last week, but I forgot to post about it, we're gonna get New Genesis news on December 19th:

Episode 6's release date was also just confirmed for December 9th:

And I may as well post the Episode 6 opening cinematic:

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Hopefully release date for New Genesis, but I doubt it. They'll probably just showcase more in-depth systems and features of the game.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Hopefully release date for New Genesis, but I doubt it. They'll probably just showcase more in-depth systems and features of the game.
The JP version of PSO2 has been pretty much finished since September when it comes to major content (it's still getting new content, but everything is based on previously available content, like a new challenge quest in a few weeks, which uses already existing areas and enemies, or a returning event quest in January).

I don't think we'll get a specific release date, but I think we could see something more than just 2021 (most likely spring 2021?)

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
The newest update for PSO2 EN (Episode 6) was done through Steam instead of the game's launcher, and the launcher's file check option is gone, which implies that all future updates will be done through Steam (good riddance, the launcher's updater wasn't good).

I guess I celebrated too early, the game just got another update to add back the file check (forcing a file check when opening the launcher).

Last edited:

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
I wonder if I can participate. :blobeyes:

"To apply, you must live in Japan, have an account that has already played Phantasy Star Online 2, and have a PC that meets the closed beta test minimum requirements."

The "must live in Japan" part is possible that may get overlooked, since there was a similar rule for the current PSO2 and I was still able to participate in its alpha and beta tests back in 2012.
The "already played PSO2" part though, they mean the JP version, not the EN version. Only PSO2 JP players can apply for the first beta test.

It's unknown if there will be an EN test as well or not, but, if there is one, we'll probably find out about it in the livestream next weekend.

The system requirements are very high though, but there's a note saying that these requirements are only for the beta, and not the final game (the note is not included in the link below, but it's in the official JP website):

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Yeah, if it's the JP account then I already have it. I also participated in the JP closed beta back then.

I wouldn't mind if I can't join this one though.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
I just thought of something about the system requirements for the beta, the GPUs required, the 3 tiers are somewhat comparable to each console:
Low - PS4
Medium - PS4 Pro
High - PS5

Could someone make a guide on how to apply?
There's a guide here, but, note that only those that play the current PSO2 JP version can be accepted:

Last edited:

SkyStarblaze

Starlit Entity
Aug 20, 2020
I just thought of something about the system requirements for the beta, the GPUs required, the 3 tiers are somewhat comparable to each console:
Low - PS4
Medium - PS4 Pro
High - PS5

There's a guide here, but, note that only those that play the current PSO2 JP version can be accepted:
Thanks, I have over 100 hours on the JP server so I'm fine in that regard.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
The JP base PSO2 PC version is getting the graphics engine upgrade mid February:

According to the official JP website, they're still investigating about the system requirements for the base PSO2 engine upgrade, which implies that these requirements are gonna be different from the NGS closed beta ones (which makes sense).

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
That's what I'm talking about. I always sure that they can do that, updating the OG graphics separately than the NGS launch.

Hopefully the global version will get it too shortly after that.

Reactions: SkyStarblaze

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
The JP version of PSO2 is getting the graphics upgrade in mid February (likely February 17th), and they announced the minimum requirements for it:
Intel Core i3 4150 (AVX support is required, so old CPUs like AMD Phenom II series are not supported)
8GB RAM
80GB+ hard drive space
NVIDIA GT430 or AMD HD5570

Most of the game's graphics settings are gonna be moved from the launcher into the game itself, except for resolution and fullscreen/windowed options.
During a livestream last weekend they also showed that it'll have more anti-aliasing options other than the current FXAA, it's also gonna support TAA and TAA+FXAA.
From the JP website, seems like it's also gonna support dynamic resolution?

The update is also gonna include the new character creator that will be compatible with NGS. While no date has been announced for the EN version for this update, most likely it won't take long until the EN version gets it too (maybe a few weeks to a month).

Reactions: Cacher and Li Kao

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
The NGS closed beta system requirements have been updated to include the base PSO2 graphics update minimum requirements, which are mentioned to be able to play NGS at the minimum settings (tier 1), 720p, 15 fps.

EDIT: NGS Closed Beta running in a surface laptop at minimum settings, it looks ugly (especially whem the player gets out of the city), but at least it runs. xD

Last edited:
  • Eyes
Reactions: Cacher

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
PSO2 graphics engine update is tomorrow for the JP version (no date yet for the EN version), the update is 9GB.

Already updated my JP client and took a screenshot of the ship selection screen (with the UI turned off). Since the servers will be in maintenance until tomorrow, this is all I can check right now. xD

Before:

After:

No idea which settings it's using by default though, since all the graphics options except resolution are now only accessible in-game after logging in.

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Oh snap, it's almost heeere~ :face-screaming-in-fear:

Wait a minute, does that mean that the graphics ugprade will be delivered first for OG before New Genesis actually released?

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Oh snap, it's almost heeere~ :face-screaming-in-fear:

Wait a minute, does that mean that the graphics ugprade will be delivered first for OG before New Genesis actually released?
Yep, JP is getting the graphics update today (1 hour left until JP maintenance ends) while NGS still doesn't even have a date for its 2nd closed beta.
One note, it's still early, so I'm not sure about this, but, it's possible that the game won't work on Windows 7 anymore after the update.

On another note, the Steam version was updated again for the file check to be done through Steam instead of the game's launcher, unless they revert the update like the last time they attempted to implement this, it should be the end of the executables permissions issues, hopefully.