News Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield Announced/Trailered ⚔

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
https://swordshield.pokemon.com/
Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield will be set in Galar, an expansive region with many environments—idyllic countryside, contemporary cities, thick forests, and craggy, snow-covered mountains. The people and Pokémon live together in this region, and they’ve worked together to develop the industries here. You’ll visit the various Gyms in the Galar region, aiming for the enviable and admirable title of Champion!
The framerate looks bad (even in the CG parts so hopefully it's the encoding) but other than that, I'd be down for that even though I'm no series devout. Actually I haven't even finished any Pokémon games, I never bought one back in the GameBoy days and then I only briefly played a few on emulators years later, haha.

Last edited:
OP
Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Looking at some official screenshots there are some super low resolution textures evident and a lack of detail in the not-too-distant scenery and all kinds of other "problems". When I watched the trailer none of that was in my mind beyond thinking that it'll probably be polished up for all areas to look equally good by the time it releases (and hoping for better framerate as mentioned). I guess they're doing good then, to show something that just appears to be quite charming despite technicalities. I suppose it's not the giant leap forward some might have desired (I see people comparing the graphics to Dragon Quest XI S, lol) but it's certainly promising and pleasing stuff after the Go games that scared some folks (or made them concern troll) about the series overall direction.

Reactions: lashman

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
I didn't like what I saw. The art style is nice, because Sun and Moon were nice for a 3DS game, but that's it. They look exactly like SM, just in HD and with a little better lightning and shadows. Everything else, from the fixed camera to the ugly, plain textures and the battle system where Pokemon don't make contact with each other appears to be ripped straight from the latest 3DS titles. And even though the areas appear to be big enough, the roads themselves still seem totally linear. It wouldn't surprise me if they kept the same amount of cutscenes that ruined gen 7, though I truly wish that isn't the case.

OP
Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Was that too much cut scenes or too little in the gen you mention, as I said I've not played much of this series at all.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Was that too much cut scenes or too little in the gen you mention, as I said I've not played much of this series at all.
Waaaaaay too many. The bottom screen showed a map at all times, with a destination marker, and every time you reached that point the game would take control away from you and show a little cutscene. The worst part of all was arriving at the second island. After a rather lengthy cutscene (for Pokemon standards at least) you finally gain control of your character, but only for 5 steps. You're then forced to watch another tiny, absolutely pointless cinematic, and when it's over you have two choices: follow the right path and reach a blockage that forces you to go back (there's a freaking dog hunting for items, whose trainer is an asshole), or walk along the upper one and suffer through yet another cutscene. Stuff like that was infuriating, and it happened all the time. It completely ruined the pacing of the game. It only got better, in my opinion, on the third island (out of 4), but by then my impression of the game was very negative.

That is not what I want from a Pokemon game. Long cinematics and overly linear progression are not what I look for in these games. If gen 8 follows in Sun/Moon's footsteps I'm gonna be pissed.

TheVectronic

The Wondering Scribe
Oct 31, 2018
Puerto Rico
Is it just me or does the water starter look more of a cameleon than a frog like most people are talking about?

Because he was camouflaged when he was revealed, plus the anatomy fits more of a cameleon than a frog tbh.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Isn't it more of a lizard than a frog?

Froakie is a frog, and it looks different:

For some reason, it reminds me of Mudkip a bit:

To me, that's the worst part of these new starters. They all look generic and like copies of older mons.

TheVectronic

The Wondering Scribe
Oct 31, 2018
Puerto Rico
Here's the thing. When I was watching a couple of reaction videos, I heard multiple people refer to this Mon a frog despite the obvious characteristics.

It's weird, though I agree with RionaaM that it has more lizard characteristics than frogs.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
I don't understand why the bunny character isn't getting more appreciation. I love him.

Other than that, it looks like an updated Pokemon with more of the same stuff we've seen for the past decade plus. Long corridors leading you directly to slightly larger areas that you need to go connected by more long corridors leading you directly where you need to go after that.

I dunno. I guess I have to accept after not having played a game since X&Y that the series really isn't for me. I just wish someone would take the monster catching/battling template and make something more interesting and less kid-friendly. Seems like an idea ripe for a Stardew Valley-esque reimagining.

Also the game will literally never live up to my new FeMC head-canon of a cursing Celtic girl anyways:

Frecklestein

Tender, Violent and Queer.
Oct 23, 2018
Going to be my first Pokemon since X, and that was my first since like.. Ruby/Sapphire on GBA. Sobble is too cute! :hugging-face: