News Praey for the Gods Steam Early Access Set for Jan 31 + Trailer

OP
Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Haha, Epic could easily swoop in for sure, they have done reactionary moves like that as with the recent Unity/SpatialOS debacle where they also somehow supposedly came up with 25 million overnight without double checking any of the facts just to push people away from Unity which also competes with them.

Funny the game's logo just seems to only say "prey". I prefer it like that, the pun works without the forced "a" thrown in there but oh well, their game, their name.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Funny the game's logo just seems to just say "prey". I prefer it like that, the pun works without the forced a thrown in there but oh well, their game, their name.
well akshully ... :p

they had to change the name thanks to bethesda ... it used to be Prey for the Gods ... but then bethesda decided it's totally absolutely the same thing as Prey and they had to change the name ... but i guess they never changed the logo - hence the difference

OP
Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Ah, yeah, totally forgot about that, lol, this has been a long time coming.

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Ah, yeah, totally forgot about that, lol, this has been a long time coming.
yeah, exactly ... everyone already forgot about Prey (well, not really ... but it's been a long-ass time since the release) ... and they're only now going into early access

which makes all that bethesda situation even more silly

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Thanks to Gematsu for the goods, click to read their full report.

Two days left, I have high hopes for it. Although some aspects don't give off the best vibe, overall it's ambitious and seems well crafted.
FINALLY SOME NEWS!
Here's hoping they'll use EA correctly and make a better product, rather than listening to everyone and adding features that take away from the game's core.

OP
Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
So, it's like a mix of Shadow of the Colossus and Breath of the Wild with some survival and crafting stuff on top. You need to keep warm, well fed and occasionally rest it seems, your weapons break even faster than those in BOTW, at least the initial stuff (I crafted an axe later but didn't use it yet to see if it lasts longer than the clubs and bows I scavenged), and the world is super icy cold. You also get a hook shot and a gliding parachute thing almost right off the bat. Content wise and visually it seems super ambitious but the level of polish games like these need in their mechanics and even animations and such isn't there at the moment. The combat with regular enemies is hardly fun, though it works alright, you can dodge roll and do simple combos to retaliate. The alpha says it's version 0.5 something so hopefully they intend to address problems & get it all on par with their ambition. I'll revisit it whenever there's a big update.

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
It looks interesting, but the survival mechanics and weapon degradation don't really thrill me... :confused-face:
Can you repair the weapons, or are they lost forever once broken?

OP
Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Lost forever like Breath of the Wild complete with a shattering effect as far as I could tell, but again, I didn't go far, maybe those you craft can be repaired. You can at least throw punches if you run out of weapons though. Your clothes could be upgraded with certain materials. For some reason there were also multiple hook shot tools to find, I don't know if they're supposed to work differently or if they also break so the game gives you a few so you never run out, the latter would seem pointless, I had three or four by the time I stopped playing. Also maybe the survival elements don't actually kill you but do bring your health down to zero, I tried to explore a place across a lake before quitting and I ended up swimming all the way back, my character was freezing to death after all that and was limping along slowly until her health went down to zero complete with annoying omg you're critical heartbeat and such audio visual cues but still didn't die.

Reactions: lashman and Milena

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
£20 or so at the moment. I'm really tempted but also cautious as i bounced off Below quite hard. This looks like Below with Shadow of the Colossus vibes which i love and the atmosphere and aesthetics have intrigued me and i want to try more things i'd normally shy away from. It is Early Access so i expect some jank and regular changes but is the core gameplay loop for me? Decisions, decisions.