|OT| Programming - console.log("Help!");

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
Anyone here familier with building websites with java, jsp, database connection and all that nice stuff? I have an assignment but I've constantly been behind that I'm just so lost, the teacher just dumps assignments on us so feel like I'm not learning the important stuff.
Teacher? I might be misremembering but I thought you were trying to learn on your own!

I'm not a Java expert... so I can't really help you, sorry. I know my way around both Access and SQ/MySQL but I use them so infrequently that I rely on cheat sheets (same goes for Regex, JSON parsing, etc.).

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0,60% PC Gamer 100% Xbox Bro
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
perttiteurajarvi.com
Teacher? I might be misremembering but I thought you were trying to learn on your own!

I'm not a Java expert... so I can't really help you, sorry. I know my way around both Access and SQ/MySQL but I use them so infrequently that I rely on cheat sheets (same goes for Regex, JSON parsing, etc.).
I actually enrolled in a app development program last fall!:D So I will have a shiny degree and all, well hopefully considering how much problem I have.XD Having the classes online thanks to covid really isn't helping me learn AND the classes are in French. But I do hope it is giving me enough for a foundation that I can manage to learn and do projects on my own much better.

Reactions: BlackRainbowFT

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
I actually enrolled in a app development program last fall!:D So I will have a shiny degree and all, well hopefully considering how much problem I have.XD Having the classes online thanks to covid really isn't helping me learn AND the classes are in French. But I do hope it is giving me enough for a foundation that I can manage to learn and do projects on my own much better.
Then good luck to you! I think you've made the right choice by enrolling in such a program... it'll help you on staying focused on clearly defined goals!

• Hug
Reactions: Le Pertti
OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
perttiteurajarvi.com
I'm starting to work on the last project in my class and I am going to do an app for iPhone. I'm going to use React Native. My question is since I am guessing Xcode would be quite good to use for that but I am not at all familiar with it, mostly just used VS Code. Any of you familiar with both that can tell me if it is a good idea to do the switch?

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
I'm starting to work on the last project in my class and I am going to do an app for iPhone. I'm going to use React Native. My question is since I am guessing Xcode would be quite good to use for that but I am not at all familiar with it, mostly just used VS Code. Any of you familiar with both that can tell me if it is a good idea to do the switch?
Not a mobile dev, but I think it's fine to stick with VSCode as editor, and only use Xcode for testing the app (IIRC React Native has its own way of launching the Xcode device emulator?) or eventually publishing it to the app store.

Either way, code editors are in most cases a personal preference.
If you are comfortable with VSCode, and it gives you a good dev workflow, there's rarely need to switch to anything else.
Of course if you want to try other editors, go for it! :)

spiel

Apr 17, 2019
I use React Native at work, I can't remember the last time I opened Xcode beyond setting up code signing. Ideally, most of the work will be done in Javascript land, you only occasionally need to touch native code if debugging/working with advanced, platform-specific stuff.

Copons is right, you can launch the app on the iOS simulator and Android emulator from the command line.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
perttiteurajarvi.com
Copons spiel Thanks for the input! I think the main reason I want to go for Xcode is that to be familiar with it, but also because since last month iOS apps need to use Xcode. Meaning I don't think it is enough to just sign code. I'm not sure .

But yeah I do get up the iOS simulator and all through terminal, but when I try to open the iOS project in Xcode I get a few "files missing" things. I've followed a few different guides so I think I have installed a bunch of different stuff for react native so might be some conflicts going on.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
perttiteurajarvi.com
Copons spiel I've figure out where things went wrong, I can install cocoapods fine but when I try to run pod install inside the iOS folder the install aborts and says it crashed. So it doesn't install all the dependencies. Any experience with that and what could be causing something like that?

Code:
pertti@Perttis-Mac-mini ios % pod install                 
Analyzing dependencies
Fetching podspec for [ICODE]DoubleConversion[/ICODE] from [ICODE]../node_modules/react-native/third-party-podspecs/DoubleConversion.podspec[/ICODE]
Fetching podspec for [ICODE]RCT-Folly[/ICODE] from [ICODE]../node_modules/react-native/third-party-podspecs/RCT-Folly.podspec[/ICODE]
Fetching podspec for [ICODE]glog[/ICODE] from [ICODE]../node_modules/react-native/third-party-podspecs/glog.podspec[/ICODE]
/Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/ffi-1.15.0/lib/ffi/library.rb:275: [BUG] Bus Error at 0x0000000100814000
ruby 2.6.3p62 (2019-04-16 revision 67580) [universal.arm64e-darwin20]

-- Crash Report log information --------------------------------------------
   See Crash Report log file under the one of following:                   
     * ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports                                     
     * /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports                                     
   for more details.                                                       
Don't forget to include the above Crash Report log file in bug reports.
It seems to crash there.

Last edited:

spiel

Apr 17, 2019
Hmm no, not experienced that particular error. Are you running this on a clean React Native project? (just to figure out if it's a newly installed dependency causing the error) Maybe try upgrading Ruby.

Edit: are you using a Mac with an M1 chip by any chance?

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
perttiteurajarvi.com
Hmm no, not experienced that particular error. Are you running this on a clean React Native project? (just to figure out if it's a newly installed dependency causing the error) Maybe try upgrading Ruby.

Edit: are you using a Mac with an M1 chip by any chance?
Ah yeah precisely ! I'm on the new Mac mini with the M1. Haven't really had any problems thus far so never occurred to me that might be the issue.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
perttiteurajarvi.com
Update Ruby and ffi as suggested in this comment, with any luck that should resolve that particular error.
Seems there was an issues with trying to update ruby, but I managed it now and it downloaded everything!:D BUT now that I open the correct workspace in Xcode, there is hundreds and hundreds of errors haha. Think I need to just get started and stick with vscode and move onto Xcode later.