• Nintendo Switch (Aug 20, 2019)
Trailer:
Developer: Double Fine Productions

Publisher: BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 81 average - 70% recommended

Critic Reviews

CGMagazine - Brendan Quinn - 9 / 10
RAD is a gorgeous and addictive entry into the Roguelite genre with creative powerups and a groovy soundtrack

COGconnected - Alexander Thomas - 88 / 100
RAD is a fun, weird, rogue-like game that is incredibly approachable for all players. Whether you love the challenge of sudden death or you just want to branch out, Double Fine has made a game that caters to both sides and has fun doing it.

WellPlayed - Kieron Verbrugge - 8 / 10
It's a little light on features, but RAD's world still has depth and a wicked-enough core gameplay loop that I can't stop coming back for more

Push Square - Nat Eker - 8 / 10
Overall, RAD is a great time. A simplistic roguelike with a humble, yet ingenious mechanic.

PlayStation Universe - Seb Hawden - 8 / 10
Beautiful, bold and a lot of fun. RAD is a great game and a great roguelike.

Destructoid - Kevin McClusky - 8 / 10
I've had a lot of fun with RAD, even though I can tell I've really only scratched the surface. Trying to work with suboptimal body modifications is pretty funny in and of itself, and discovering new mutations and lore has been intriguing. I don't think any studio other than Double Fine could have made the post-apocalypse this entertaining.

Shacknews - Ozzie Mejia - 8 / 10
Roguelikes don't get much more bodacious than RAD. If you take a trip into the Fallow, good luck making it out. You're going to need it.

GameSpew - Kim Snaith - 8 / 10
Quote not yet available

GotGame - Kieran Toovey - 7 / 10
RAD is only kind of rad, not super rad...That being said, the art is very enjoyable, providing a visual treat throughout each run.

TechRaptor - Ron Welch - 7 / 10
RAD has that unique Double Fine touch. While combat wavers between difficult and unsatisfying, mutations and exploration create that "one more run" magic. It's a solid experience that will satisfy any post-apocalyptic enthusiast.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
I used to be a huge fan of roguelites... but after a while I started hating them to the point that I'm now actively avoiding anything that dares mentioning "randomly generated content" or "infinite replayability".
With that said, I did play the beta and found the game to be really enjoyable... So if -I- liked it, it's probably well deserving of the high praise it's apparently getting!

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I used to be a huge fan of roguelites... but after a while I started hating them to the point that I'm now actively avoiding anything that dares mentioning "randomly generated content" or "infinite replayability".
With that said, I did play the beta and found the game to be really enjoyable... So if -I- liked it, it's probably well deserving of the high praise it's apparently getting!
indeed ... can't wait to play it :)

Reactions: BlackRainbowFT

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I'm glad it's getting better reviews than i feared. I was expecting 7s so to see some 8s in there is great!

Reactions: lashman