News RAGE 2, Wolfenstein: Youngblood and DOOM Eternal coming to Steam!

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Real talk when I first read the news my reaction was to literally

I knew they'd release them on Steam eventually, but this?
This is some thinly veiled confirmation on Bethesda needing people to actually PAY for their games.
I would kill to be able to look at the data that forced them to this,
yeah ... i imagine they wanted to go on their own (there is no other reason why Rage 2 didn't get a store page until now) but then they saw pre-order numbers for Rage .... and what happened with F76 ... and with EGS (and how people are reacting to exclusives) ... and decided to maybe wait a bit

i'm sure they still want to do it ... and probably will try again sooner or later

but yeah - looks like we're safe for now :)

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
This is why people need to speak up against crappy services without being labeled as fanboys, so that the games release on the good ones too. If Bethesda get their shit together and provide something on par with Steam's core service I'll be fine with using theirs, until then no thanks. Same for Epic, Microsoft, all of them.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I guess this will be swept under the rug with no commentary, just flat reporting, without the implications for the customer and how releasing these on Steam is going to mean a vast improvement for the experience of most users, by the EGS media defense force which can't say anything good about Steam these days?

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
HOLY SHIT AMAZING!

Guess i'll buy them afterall.

Wonder what exactly prompted this decision.
low pre-order numbers for Rage 2, i would imagine

and F76 bombing (i would imagine they were hoping the cash flow from F76 would balance lower sales from their other games made exclusive to their launcher)

don't worry - they'll definitely try again later

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
yeah ... i imagine they wanted to go on their own (there is no other reason why Rage 2 didn't get a store page until now) but then they saw pre-order numbers for Rage .... and what happened with F76 ... and with EGS (and how people are reacting to exclusives) ... and decided to maybe wait a bit

i'm sure they still want to do it ... and probably will try again sooner or later

but yeah - looks like we're safe for now :)
Breh retailers would've gone so far so as to PAY customers to buy off all those copies of FO76 that've been gathering dust in their inventories.
Bethy management saw they weren't making money and decided on the best scenario: Sell it on Steam so some countries (like mine) would still pay $60 for their games.
Why smack it onto Epic Game Store to have RAGE 2 sold for $20 in some regions, when you can make more cheddar off seeling it for $60 on Steam :V

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Breh retailers would've gone so far so as to PAY customers to buy off all those copies of FO76 that've been gathering dust in their inventories.
Bethy management saw they weren't making money and decided on the best scenario: Sell it on Steam so some countries (like mine) would still pay $60 for their games.
Why smack it onto Epic Game Store to have RAGE 2 sold for $20 in some regions, when you can make more cheddar off seeling it for $60 on Steam :V
that too, yes

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
CastellĆ³, Spain
Great news! Thanks for the heads up Lash! ;)

I am so happy,Bethesda has been producing some excellent single player games in the last few years, Dishonored, Wolfenstein, Doom... It was such a waste to launch their games exclusively on their platform. Now there is a chance I may buy Rage 2 if the reviews are good.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Great news! Thanks for the heads up Lash! ;)

I am so happy,Bethesda has been producing some excellent single player games in the last few years, Dishonored, Wolfenstein, Doom... It was such a waste to launch their games exclusively on their platform. Now there is a chance I may buy Rage 2 if the reviews are good.
i'll pre-order it as soon as i have some cash!

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Great news! Will buy these games for sure now!

I'm curious why Bethesda made this decision tho. Perhaps the pre-orders were extremely low on their launcher? Or they saw an opportunity now several long awaited games are skipping Steam?

Deleted member 113

Well, these games are back on my radar. :)

I wonder if other stores will now offer Steam keys. :unsure:

Reactions: lashman

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
they'll probably also release it at EGS and maybe experiment which one is more profitable

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Definitely a price error for Australia, only US$49.80. The pricing is all over the place.
who knows ... even before they decided to briefly leave steam their regional pricing was dogshit

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
who knows ... even before they decided to briefly leave steam their regional pricing was dogshit
Though it does align with recent console release pricing. Most launch at around AUS$65 or so around USD$46 with 3-4 stores competing but Amazon Australia is trying to muscle into the market and games like Sekiro released at AUS$49 (USD$35) with free postage. Some level of competition in PC gaming would be great.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Though it does align with recent console release pricing. Most launch at around AUS$65 or so around USD$46 with 3-4 stores competing but Amazon Australia is trying to muscle into the market and games like Sekiro released at AUS$49 (USD$35) with free postage. Some level of competition in PC gaming would be great.
i don't think any of the AAA publishers care tbh ... not when it comes to steam at least

all of them have been raising all the regional prices steadily for the past 3-4 years

that's basically their way of generating more profit without touching any of the prices where people could get angry and actually achieve something ... because when they suddenly raise their regional pricing in India or Argentina by 200% then who gives a fuck ... no publication will even bat an eye, no one will write about it ... and even if they did - no one reading would give a fuck

you can already see how people are reacting to regional pricing threads in forums and or reddit .... if anyone even bothers to actually read those threads, at least half of the replies are "well they're still paying slightly less" or "if i have to pay $60 then so do they, games aren't a necessity, they're a luxury" etc. etc. etc.

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
Don't mock until you've tried it. The combination of touch and gyro aiming is great, when properly configured. Although I tried to play Call of Juarez: Gunslinger recently and it didn't feel comfortable enough with the SC, so it depends on the game.
Not mocking :p. I play everything with mouse and keyboard so I guess you would find that questionable too :D

PD: shlooter

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Not mocking :p. I play everything with mouse and keyboard so I guess you would find that questionable too :D

PD: shlooter
I used to do that too, but I started using controllers more because my desktop layout is... questionable, and to prevent my hands from suffering permanent damage I try to not use the mouse as much as I'd like to. Sure, I could try setting it up differently, but at this point I know perfectly well that won't happen. Plus I want to move out anyway, but until I do it may be quite long, so yeah. Guess you didn't ask for the story of my life, but you know how this is: you start talking about gamepads and end up telling them about the time you wrestled a polar bear in Greenland.