News Re-Volt is finally available for purchase on GOG again (after 8 years)

Krvavi Abadas

Jan 22, 2019

The backstory here is incredibly interesting. the game was originally published by infamous former publisher Acclaim. and was claimed (alongside countless other IPs they previously owned) by Throwback Entertainment in 2006.

Then, for whatever reason. Throwback thought it would be a good idea to sell it to a Korean developer known as "WeGo Interactive" around 2009 to 2010. Which did a mobile port of the game, as well as two free-to-play "sequels" that weren't particularly good.
Thankfully, they realized releasing the original game on GOG would have been a good idea, and did so in 2013.
But due to a dispute relating to WeGo using fan-made mods without permission. It was hastily removed a few months later. Though GOG claimed it would eventually be added back "when the matter is resolved".

Apparently, the solution to that matter was waiting for another publisher to pick it up. As this new release is published by a completely different Korean Publisher. H2 Interactive.
From my research. It appears WeGo shut down at some point, and all of their assets were picked up by H2 as a result. Who decided to give the GOG release another go.

Regardless, this re-released version looks to be mostly identical to the old GOG release aside from the (presumably) removed mod code, and still supports widescreen resolutions according to the screenshots.
It also keeps all of the extras, meaning you get access to downloadable MP3 versions of both the Dreamcast soundtrack and the original PC OST. A highly welcome bonus.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I’ve never played this game, but I heard it had a bit of an interesting difficulty curve.

Thinking of picking it up.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Huh, I didn't even know it got delisted. I bought it when it was released on gog. Also owned it when it came out originally. Fun game, but I was never any good at it.

Reactions: lashman