Community Reading about games

Blizniak

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2018
I'm bad at expressing my thoughts on video games. Most of the time I find I don't really have anything specific to say, either I like something or I don't but that's about it.
I do like to read about games though. I don't mean just news and reviews but more in-depth stuff: design analyses, artistic interpretations, developer interviews outside of their pr cycle, post mortems etc.
Do you like to read about video games? If so, what sites do you frequent? Did you see anything interesting lately? Maybe some memorable articles stuck with you? I thought this could be a place for us to share them.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
I also enjoy reading about games, specially post-mortem or developers explaining how they implemented certain features or bypassed some limitation.

As I don't have too much time nowadays I'm mostly sticking to forums instead going to specific sites.

Reactions: lashman

Matimeo

MetaMember
Oct 21, 2018
I dont really read about games like I did before getting in the industry as many times its speculation or opinions and I can usually find out firsthand if I want since the industry is so small.

BUT I do enjoy reading what people who are not getting paid to write opinions feel about games.
Probably why I fell into the user focused roles in game development.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Great thread Blizniak

Hardcore Gaming 101 is a must. Quality articles and overlooked classics.
Nice recommendation, I did read some articles over HCG101 some time ago but I never followed the site closely.

I dont really read about games like I did before getting in the industry as many times its speculation or opinions and I can usually find out firsthand if I want since the industry is so small.

BUT I do enjoy reading what people who are not getting paid to write opinions feel about games.
Probably why I fell into the user focused roles in game development.
Did you follow Rami Ismail posting his moms experience with it?

OP
Blizniak

Blizniak

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2018

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
OK another one.
Electron Dance
Electron Dance - On Video Games Of The Personal Computer

The guy is a bit crazy, but my God is he thorough. Way, way in-depth with mechanics, how they function, how we interact with video games, what kind of video games...

To get a glimpse, try watching his video essays. His Witness video is the only essay that did the game justice.

Eriugam

Premium Title
Nov 6, 2018
United Kingdom
OK another one.
Electron Dance
Electron Dance - On Video Games Of The Personal Computer

The guy is a bit crazy, but my God is he thorough. Way, way in-depth with mechanics, how they function, how we interact with video games, what kind of video games...

To get a glimpse, try watching his video essays. His Witness video is the only essay that did the game justice.
Will give this a watch, thanks for the recommendation!

OP
Blizniak

Blizniak

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2018
Amazing read about how big dreams failed to materialize at Bioware once more following Mass Effect: Andromeda. It seems that the dev is in a really sad state and I hope they can recover with Casey Hudson back at the helm, it should at least help with a singular vision for their next project.