PSA red dead redemption 2 Pc Port, stamina core drain rate etc tied to frame rate

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
credit to reddit here

So I did an experiment - I made a save game at the very start of Chapter 2 and then proceeded to replay the same day twice in the exact same way, doing 2 missions and eating 4 steaks at the exact same times on each day except on one day I used my usual fps of 100 - 130 and on the 2nd day I limited it to 30fps, the same as consoles.

On the first day the usual problem occurred, my cores drained fast not that long after I had refilled them via eating and the next day Arthur's weight had gone down by 0.75. That might not sound like much but bare in mind that is after eating 4 STEAKS throughout the day and also that it means that at that rate after 10 days of this same hefty diet Arthur would be at his minimum weight -7.5. Imagine if you didn't eat 4 steaks a day.

The 2nd day at 30fps my cores drained far slower and the next day Arthur had gained 1.5 in weight, twice as much as he had lost on the first test day and rightfully so because you'd expect him to gain weight after 4 steaks.

It seems that the problem is the game classes frames as actual units of time passing so at a high fps of 120 the code treats 1 day as technically 4 days long. Even if you limit your fps to a steady 60 Arthur will need to eat twice as much as he would on consoles to not become massively underweight.

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
RDR2 was pushed onto PC glaringly half baked. It's like they treated the pre-Steam launch versions as a soft launch beta. If it was just one thing, I could handwave it, but RDR2 launched with layers of problems. I'm sure fixing this issue will be relatively trivial, of course. But it shouldn't have slipped through. Players shouldn't be beta testers for a AAA game.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Naah please don't tell me the Tamagotchi mechanics from GTA San Andreas are back. I just wanna play a western game, not take care of a useless Sim :(

fireflame

Aug 26, 2019
Sorry for bumping the thread, I only have a 1060 gtx and while I know it could run the gale despite being the cheaper model with 3gb I was wondering if the code of the game was compatible with any possible "unofficial patch" like those Durante provided in the past.