News Report: Over Half Of Game Devs Expect Crunch As Part Of The Job

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

According to Take This, over 50% of game developers expect abusive overtime as part of the job, often without additional compensation to make up for it.

Crunch has become a major talking point across the industry, and reports like these show how grimly normalized abusive work hours are. Take This' report backs up a lot of what I've said this year about coercion and power dynamics within game development.

Culturally, crunch has become far too normalized in the games business, and we need to keep banging the drum that says otherwise. Because it shouldn't be normal. It's abusive, it's exploitative, and above all... it doesn't bloody work!

Reactions: Aelphaeis Mangarae

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Man, this is as unexpected as it is fucked up. How do you change something that has become so ingrained in an industry?

Reactions: lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Man, this is as unexpected as it is fucked up. How do you change something that has become so ingrained in an industry?
burn it all to the ground and start anew

... or just do what Motion Twin, SuperMegaTeam and The Glory Society are doing (which i REALLY hope will start happening more and more now)

Reactions: Alexandros

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
burn it all to the ground and start anew

... or just do what Motion Twin, SuperMegaTeam and The Glory Society are doing (which i REALLY hope will start happening more and more now)
I actually had little interest in Dead Cells until I heard about Motion Twin’s work structure. Then I bought it just because of that. Call me names for that if you want, but I wound up loving the game itself after giving it a shot anyways.

Reactions: xinek and lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
until I heard about Motion Twin’s work structure. Then I bought it just because of that.
yeah ... definitely worth supporting for that alone! :) speaking of which - you might want to check this one out as well (it's from SuperMegaTeam):

I wound up loving the game itself after giving it a shot anyways.
that's good to hear :)