|OT| Reshade - Graphics fit for a Queen, Introducing QueenShade Presets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
Reshade is an open-source advanced, fully generic post-processing injector for games and video. Reshade allows one to inject any D3D9, D3D10, D3D11, and OpenGL game with advanced postprocessing effects such as Ambient Occlusion, Depth of Field, color correction and more. Seen those beautiful screens at the PC Screenshot or even Emulator screenshot threads? Chances are that Reshade was used to touch up the games running.

reshade just recently got updated to 4.0 which could make way for vulkan reshade in future

For more information on Reshade, click here (https://reshade.me)

As for me personally, I have been working on Reshade sets for a while. Most examples of reshades I’ve seen have been full of Bloom and other exaggerated effects. I wanted to go for more subtle changes, like removing horrible tints in games, making textures better or color correcting to enhance the atmosphere of games. Below are some of my shaders in action with comparisons. I invite all to submit their tips & tricks on Reshade.

Beauty of PC gaming is the endless customization and Reshade indeed allows for customization unlike anything.

Reshade set up guide

1:

to start off with your going to want to go to Reshade and press on download to get the program. the program currently works for direct x 9 10 11 or open gl games.

2:

open the exe file you just downloaded which will bring up this box

3:

press on the select game box which then brings up your computer etc, its basically asking you to select the game.exe file
bare in mind some games have different .exe files for 32/64 bit or direct x 9 / 10 or 11 etc.

for this tutorial im using tales of vesperia, so we are going to go to the games install directory and look for the .exe in blue highlight.

press open

4:

you are then greeted with this

its asking for what direct x game is or open gl. for tales we are going to press on direct 3D 10+ (game is direct x 11)

5:

next we see this box appear,

press yes

6:

this box will appear next.

if your new to reshade i suggest getting all off the effects. (this will increase a games loading time by alot but obviously you will want to trial and test the effects etc and afterwards ones you dont like you can easilly delete which ill also explain in step 13

skip to step 8 if you are new to reshade

7:

reshade is now technically set up and youd be good to go in game and follow below, but if like myself you have many reshade presets and using them between games etc the next option is far n wide so handy.

pressing on that edit reshade button that appears will bring this next box up.

that preset path will be a blessing, you can select a preset file you use on other games by entering the directory in box or pressing on the ... sign

8:

reshade is now technically set up and youd be good to go in game.
if everything is set up properly from above you should see this appear in top left whenever you load game up

9:

once in game if you press home on your keyboard this will appear.

press continue for the next 3 options

10:

it should now look like this

11:

currently all our effects are disabled, all you gotta do is click on the boxes next to name and it will enable them with a default value,

lets go with clarity

as you can see the default value already makes some changes thats nice and does what the name says :D. at the bottom we now have different options for the clarity.fx we can tweak to our liking or just carry on with other effects etc. honestly the fun of reshade is sometimes just changing effects and seeing what happens when mixed together, u can always just go back to default values

12:

if you go into settings tab this comes up

third option down effect toggle key is amazing, i normally bind it to scroll lock, by pressing that key it will turn all effects off and render the normal game image, its a very good way to see your changes and if at anytime your doing things badly too lol.

13:

if you have the effects you desire set up or just know which ones you want. if you go to your game directory there will be a folder called reshade-shaders

go into that and there will be two folders, shaders and another called textures (ignore the texture one)

go into the shaders folder and this will have every efect file you have installed for reshade for that game, here you can just delete any of the ones you are not using to increase loading times.

lets take a look

Sekiro

Devil May Cry 5

Dark Souls 3

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Generation Zero

Elex

Tales Of Vesperia

Grim Dawn

Dead Cells

Path Of Exile

Dragon Quest XI

Crash Bandicoot

Risk Of Rain 2

Shadows Awakening

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Nier Automata

Assassin's Creed III Remaster

Sword Art

im always open to suggestions on games to tackle so feel free to either ask here or drop a pm or over at steam

Last edited:
OP

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018

Maxi

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Do you plan on sharing your presets? The 7 Days to Die one looks great and I appreciate someone sticking to subtle tones with Reshade. Usually everything is turned up to 11 including film grain....

Reactions: lashman
OP

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
Is it taxing on PCs? I've never tried it.
Generally you'll barely notice a drop especially from the effects im using. The only one in some games i use that can be taxing is mxao.

Do you plan on sharing your presets? The 7 Days to Die one looks great and I appreciate someone sticking to subtle tones with Reshade. Usually everything is turned up to 11 including film grain....
Yea ive been talking with few people on maybe a site to host and present all my different ones.

And yea thats been my aim since seeing skyrim and witcher reshades or enb. They over blowout all the colors then dial bloom to 500%

My approach was what if i could remove the white fog pretty much every game has and you dont actually fully notice till you see the reshade. Make the colors either more natural or pop more. Or games like resident evil make it look more dreadfull like a horror should be.

All the while trying to not lose the original look too much.

I think i do achieve that alot but not on some. For honor is still one of my favs ive done

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Is configuration difficult? I've never actually tried using ReShade and maybe it's time.

OP

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
its been a while

Tales of Vesperia - QueenShade

QueenShade off

Dying Light - QueenShade

QueenShade off

Teggy

Patiently waiting for Wet 2
Dec 2, 2018
Any hints on getting good starting levels for your monitor? I notice that when I do the “make the picture on the left barely visible, make the picture on the right fully visible” I often can’t make the left picture barely visible. In the past I have had home theater discs for calibrating my tv and wish there was an online thing like that for monitors.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Any hints on getting good starting levels for your monitor? I notice that when I do the “make the picture on the left barely visible, make the picture on the right fully visible” I often can’t make the left picture barely visible. In the past I have had home theater discs for calibrating my tv and wish there was an online thing like that for monitors.
well there is this: LCD monitor test images

dunno if it'll help much ... but short of buying a Spyder5, i don't think there's much else you can do really

OP

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
had many asking how to set up reshade etc so im gonna try and do a tutorial here :p

1:

to start off with your going to want to go to Reshade and press on download to get the program. the program currently works for direct x 9 10 11 or open gl games.

2:

open the exe file you just downloaded which will bring up this box

3:

press on the select game box which then brings up your computer etc, its basically asking you to select the game.exe file
bare in mind some games have different .exe files for 32/64 bit or direct x 9 / 10 or 11 etc.

for this tutorial im using tales of vesperia, so we are going to go to the games install directory and look for the .exe in blue highlight.

press open

4:

you are then greeted with this

its asking for what direct x game is or open gl. for tales we are going to press on direct 3D 10+ (game is direct x 11)

5:

next we see this box appear,

press yes

6:

this box will appear next.

if your new to reshade i suggest getting all off the effects. (this will increase a games loading time by alot but obviously you will want to trial and test the effects etc and afterwards ones you dont like you can easilly delete which ill also explain in step 13

skip to step 8 if you are new to reshade

7:

reshade is now technically set up and youd be good to go in game and follow below, but if like myself you have many reshade presets and using them between games etc the next option is far n wide so handy.

pressing on that edit reshade button that appears will bring this next box up.

that preset path will be a blessing, you can select a preset file you use on other games by entering the directory in box or pressing on the ... sign

8:

reshade is now technically set up and youd be good to go in game.
if everything is set up properly from above you should see this appear in top left whenever you load game up

9:

once in game if you press home on your keyboard this will appear.

press continue for the next 3 options

10:

it should now look like this

11:

currently all our effects are disabled, all you gotta do is click on the boxes next to name and it will enable them with a default value,

lets go with clarity

as you can see the default value already makes some changes thats nice and does what the name says :D. at the bottom we now have different options for the clarity.fx we can tweak to our liking or just carry on with other effects etc. honestly the fun of reshade is sometimes just changing effects and seeing what happens when mixed together, u can always just go back to default values

12:

if you go into settings tab this comes up

third option down effect toggle key is amazing, i normally bind it to scroll lock, by pressing that key it will turn all effects off and render the normal game image, its a very good way to see your changes and if at anytime your doing things badly too lol.

13:

if you have the effects you desire set up or just know which ones you want. if you go to your game directory there will be a folder called reshade-shaders

go into that and there will be two folders, shaders and another called textures (ignore the texture one)

go into the shaders folder and this will have every efect file you have installed for reshade for that game, here you can just delete any of the ones you are not using to increase loading times.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Thanks for the tutorial.
Like, in the past I'm sure I've seen people linking to "their" reshade for a particular game and theyve just been .txt files.
How do they work?

OP

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
Thanks for the tutorial.
Like, in the past I'm sure I've seen people linking to "their" reshade for a particular game and theyve just been .txt files.
How do they work?
in step 11 youll see all the effects and at top is a text bar that says default preset. in the games directory there will be a .txt file there called default preset and it just holds all the info on the .fx settings.

u can switch between multiple .txt files if you like in reshade

jim2point0

MetaMember
Dec 24, 2018
I wish there was a way to get a brief description of what each shader tries to achieve. There's so many. And some of them to weird stuff.

I should post some Ashen comparisons to see if anyone wants to see my settings for that game. I think they make a world of difference, but may not be to everyone's liking.

Teggy

Dec 2, 2018
well there is this: LCD monitor test images

dunno if it'll help much ... but short of buying a Spyder5, i don't think there's much else you can do really
So this page led me to another page which led me to the Windows 10 calibration wizard, and now when I use the brightness controls in Sniper Elite 4 I can actually make the box that’s supposed to be black be black. I think I need to adjust some other things, but a good start!

Reactions: lashman and Stevey

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
So this page led me to another page which led me to the Windows 10 calibration wizard, and now when I use the brightness controls in Sniper Elite 4 I can actually make the box that’s supposed to be black be black. I think I need to adjust some other things, but a good start!
nice :)

Casper

Jan 20, 2019
Wish I knew what I was doing wrong, Queen! I'd love to use it. I have Reshade set up, and running but your preset doesn't show up in the drop down. I feel like I am missing a step here. I've tried changing your .txt to an .ini with no luck. I've tried creating my own and then just overwriting it with yours. No luck. I have Reshade running for Vesperia no problems. This, not so much and it's frustrating!

EDIT: So, oddly, I tried the preset right below yours (this one) and it loaded just fine. Selected it via the dropdown in Reshade and it loaded right up. One difference I notice with your preset versus others is that there are no "Techniques: XXXX, XXXX, XXXX" listed at the top of the preset like there are for others.

Their first line was:

Code:
Techniques=LumaSharpen,HDR,DPX,Levels,Tonemap
I notice that most presets have the first line like that, and I noticed after loading that preset that those 5 shaders are checked (though no others were). Could that be the culprit? Ibuki you have no issues with it yourself?

Last edited:
OP

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
Wish I knew what I was doing wrong, Queen! I'd love to use it. I have Reshade set up, and running but your preset doesn't show up in the drop down. I feel like I am missing a step here. I've tried changing your .txt to an .ini with no luck. I've tried creating my own and then just overwriting it with yours. No luck. I have Reshade running for Vesperia no problems. This, not so much and it's frustrating!

EDIT: So, oddly, I tried the preset right below yours (this one) and it loaded just fine. Selected it via the dropdown in Reshade and it loaded right up. One difference I notice with your preset versus others is that there are no "Techniques: XXXX, XXXX, XXXX" listed at the top of the preset like there are for others.

Their first line was:

Code:
Techniques=LumaSharpen,HDR,DPX,Levels,Tonemap
I notice that most presets have the first line like that, and I noticed after loading that preset that those 5 shaders are checked (though no others were). Could that be the culprit? Ibuki you have no issues with it yourself?
should be sorted now

Reactions: Casper and lashman

Teggy

Dec 2, 2018
When I try to download reshade with edge it says it has a virus and deletes it.

I thought maybe this was a false positive, but virus scan says it has a trojan called occamy.c. Not sure what the deal is.

Last edited:

Teggy

Dec 2, 2018
You're grabbing 4.1.1 from here Teggy Reshade.me? I grabbed it last night when I was trying to figure out what was up and had no virus flags and no issues from NOD32 or MalwareBytes.

Yay! Thanks Queen! Working fine now.

Yeah, there is some discussion of it in the forums. Different people get different virus notifications. The dev said that they usually get whitelisted but some of the antivirus didn't get the memo this time. I can run it by temporarily turning antivirus off, but unless I do it permanently, it will keep scanning and deleting this version.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
That's some impressive work, The Queen ! The badge in John F. Kennedy's arm looks infinitely better in your version, and the pinned papers in the billboard are far less blurry. The second pic looks much more detailed too. I'm not joking, you're totally making a remastered version for free. Oh, and thanks to you there's no green filter anymore. Guess Capcom intended the whole game to take place inside the Matrix or something.

OP

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
took alot of effort but managed to get reshade working with dynasty warriors 9 and well yea its pretty crazy difference

QueenShade

Without

QueenShade

Without

QueenShade

Without

Zexen

Jan 26, 2019
Are you able to access the Depth Buffer on your end concerning DW9 with any of the latest ReShade releases? For whatever reason that is, 4.1.x.x doesn't, leaving me unable to use MXAO ( or anything depth based), but I can on 3.1.x.x.

OP

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
Are you able to access the Depth Buffer on your end concerning DW9 with any of the latest ReShade releases? For whatever reason that is, 4.1.x.x doesn't, leaving me unable to use MXAO ( or anything depth based), but I can on 3.1.x.x.
na they dont work on 4.0 and above, i believe its a release issue it was mentioned in the reshade 4.0 launch thread that there could be issues with some effects in some games etc

Zexen

Jan 26, 2019
Ok, thanks for the answer.

Edit: Actually, I got it working on 4.1.1.496. I didn't followed the development of the tool suite in months, but new ways of detecting Depth Buffers were implemented and I happened to not have selected one. Pretty neat.

Last edited:
OP

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
Ok, thanks for the answer.

Edit: Actually, I got it working on 4.1.1.496. I didn't followed the development of the tool suite in months, but new ways of detecting Depth Buffers were implemented and I happened to not have selected one. Pretty neat.
does controller inputs stop working for you with reshade on dw9 ?

OP

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
QueenShade Presets Have Arrived.

ive fully updated the op with a variety of changes and ill be making more adjustments in the coming days, but yes the day has come where im starting to share my Queen Shades.

ill be regularly updating this thread with presets screens etc

Status
Not open for further replies.