|OT| RetroArch - The ultimate emulator frontend

JMTHEFOX

Planning to Be a Game Designer
Oct 4, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Since RetroArch is coming to Steam, I though that making an RetroArch thread here might get people excited. Let me know if this thread desn't fit/align with the terms.

FAQ
-----------------------------
1) What is RetroArch?
RetroArch is a multiplatform frontend for game emulators, game engines and media players.

2) Is RetroArch a game emulator?
RetroArch is not much a proper game emulator but the "emulators" come in the form of libretro cores. These cores are forks based on existing emulators that are available on their own websites.

3) What cores does RetroArch currently support?
You can find the list of cores here: libretro - Emulation General Wiki

4) Which platforms is RetroArch available on?
RetroArch is available on Windows/macOS/Linux as well as console ports for Nintendo Switch, PS4, Xbox One, iOS, Android and more. Though the later console ports require hacking or jailbreaking. Do it at your own risk!

WHERE TO GET RETROARCH
-----------
Official Site: RetroArch
Android version (Play Store):
Steam version:
One more thing, DONT ASK FOR ROMS OR LINK TO ROM SITES.

Last edited:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
finally ... thanks for making this OT! :D

speaking of which - you don't need to put "OT" in the name :p we already have the prefix for that, lol ... oh, and also - don't forget about the cover :)

Reactions: PhaZZe and JMTHEFOX
OP
JMTHEFOX

JMTHEFOX

Oct 4, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
In case you were wondering, Yes. Its possible to use RetroArch with another frontend/game library program. One of the most notable game library apps is Launchbox, which you can add RetroArch as an emulator, as well as a fullscreen mode (available to Premium members only).

Its even possible to update RetroArch cores through Launchbox!

Playnite also supports RetroArch, though it doesn't have as much features as Launchbox.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Does RetroArch have a save sync feature? I found a way on how to sync saves from Retropie. Would be great if RetroArch also could sync save files

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Does RetroArch have a save sync feature? I found a way on how to sync saves from Retropie. Would be great if RetroArch also could sync save files
i believe they mentioned cloud saves would be a thing in the steam version, yes

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
But it would be Steam Cloud then, I was meaning sync save files to a cloud storage like Dropbox. I don't think Retropie would have access to Steam Cloud
ohhhhh, i see ... hmmm, in that case i have no idea, sorry :(

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
In case you were wondering, Yes. Its possible to use RetroArch with another frontend/game library program. One of the most notable game library apps is Launchbox, which you can add RetroArch as an emulator, as well as a fullscreen mode (available to Premium members only).

Its even possible to update RetroArch cores through Launchbox!

Playnite also supports RetroArch, though it doesn't have as much features as Launchbox.
I am curious about Launchbox's BPM-like mode. Does anyone here use it as a daily driver to play on your TV? How does it compare to SteamLink+BPM?

OP
JMTHEFOX

JMTHEFOX

Oct 4, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
I am curious about Launchbox's BPM-like mode. Does anyone here use it as a daily driver to play on your TV? How does it compare to SteamLink+BPM?
One thing that BigBox stands out from Steam BPM is the customization. Not just grid view options, you can choose which Startup movies can play as well as the movies for each system. You can usually get them from EmuMovies, but some YouTube uploads of these videos can be downloaded from the links in the description. Here are some examples.

Here's a tutorial on how to choose an Startup Video for BigBox.