Q&A RPCS 3 Emulating the PS3 (and the problems I have with it, help?)

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
Hi there.

After I build my new PC I thought I should check out if I could finally emulate Demons's Souls on PC and after a night of work jailbreaking my old PS3 and installing the software i need to rip over the disc I finally could play it on the PC and it's surprisingly a very good emulation. (200% upressed stable 30fps)

I only have one problem: the sound is crackling and maybe it's just in my head but i think it gets worse over time. I googled a bit and searched the RPCS forums but the only things I could find were people with the same problem but no solutions and a bunch of people that say they have not encountered this problem.

Some said that the CPU is to weak (I don't think that's the problem with a 9900k) others had this problem but it went magically away.

Maybe someone has an idea or even knows how I can fix this problem?

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Yeah, I don't really like that they don't have an option for audio latency (or buffer pool) -- although I haven't keep track with the nightlies for some time.

You probably would have to tinker around with the CPU/SPU settings to see what works.

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
I remember reading Demon Souls is getting worse with new versions of the emulator (regressions not getin fixed for the moment). I tried it like a year ago and it worked flawlessly, then booted it up a month ago and it didn't even start.

Considering DS was proven to be beatable in old versions, maybe you could try not using the latest stuff.

OP
SRossi

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
Did you use XAudio2 or OpenAL audio driver? I think XAudio2 performs better, but ymmv.
I'm using XAudio2 because I've read that OpenAL is more or less just a proof of concept at this point and is always worse then XAudio2, maybe that was wrong.

As for the newer versions not working as well as older ones with DS I've read about that also,; but more or less severe crashing and loading problems already at the very beginning. Because I've not encountered any of this I though I was good there. Maybe I should check a older RPCS3 version when I have time.