News ScummVM has an actively developed Blade Runner engine reimplementation

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
A ScummVM engine reimplementation has been in development for a few years. The initial commit was back in late 2016

Github Repo: scummvm/scummvm

This is what the game looked like six months ago.

Since then it has improved heavily, with save/load support being implemented and heaps of bugs being fixed. It's not officially supported by ScummVM yet, but it is playable, and steady progress is being made. The most recent update was an hour ago from when this thread was posted, adding a bunch of bug fixes. It's only a matter of time before it reaches a satisfactory state. (Incidentally, there's also a ResidualVM reimplementation of The Longest Journey -- which has major problems on modern PCs -- but I'm not sure how that's coming along. It runs, but there are some bugs.)

Something interesting about Blade Runner is that it didn't have a proper scripting language. It was written in C, and the script code (think stuff like NPC conversations and NPCs walking around and puzzle logic and all that stuff) was compiled into dlls. This was a really bad way of doing things. Particularly for 1997. The reason Lua became so popular was because Lucasarts needed a scripting language and Lua was the best fit. You don't generally want to write scripting in something like C. As an example, Source didn't have proper scripting support out of the box back in the day. But Half-Life 2 was a fairly basic FPS title by 2004 standards. It wasn't a point and click adventure game. It was an understandable oversight, but an oversight. VTMB had to manually implement Python scripting. Left 4 Dead used a language called Squirrel for its scripting. I mention this to give some perspective on how reimplementing Blade Runner has required the developers to carefully reverse engineer scripting that was written in C.

Some people might ask, "What's the big deal?" Well, Blade Runner is a truly excellent point and click adventure game that nailed the Blade Runner universe. It looks good, it sounds good, and it plays well. It was a bold and innovative point and click that tried to avoid the obtuseness of its contemporaries and it features a branching storyline based on your actions, with multiple endings, giving it solid replay value.

It featured a fantastic soundtrack based on Vangelis' work, but due to licensing issues they couldn't use his music exactly, so the composers recreated it by ear.

IMHO, some of the videogame tracks are... moodier than the film versions. There are even excellent soundalike vocal songs since the films couldn't be used.

Blade Runner sold really well back in the day, but has faded into tragic obscurity. It has been stuck in licensing limbo for years, but worse, the game's source code has been lost. The original assets were also lost, which is a huge shame. But the lack of source code means that you're stuck with the original game. Which doesn't particularly like modern PCs, even with the fan patches.

ScummVM's engine reimplementation will be better than the original game. Bugs in the original game are being fixed. Cut content is being restored. (Optionally, of course.) Consider the possibilities of pairing this bug-fixed, content-restored engine implementation with background FMVs that have been upscaled using AI techniques. We may have lost the source files, and the devs regret some of the overcompression they applied, but in theory a fair bit of the damage can be undone or mitigated. Blade Runner can be cleaned up visually. Its bugs can be fixed. Content restored due to rushed development or simple oversight can be restored. That's truly wonderful.

We may never get an official re-release of Blade Runner, although Night Dive have been working on it for a few years. But in the near future, the game will be perfectly playable via ScummVM, and it will be better than it was in the 90s. If Night Dive can secure the legal rights, they'll be able to use this engine re-implementation to port it any platform they please.

helloCLD

Dec 9, 2018
Buffalo, NY
hellocld.com
This is really cool, will be sure to follow this. I've only played Blade Runner a little bit, but what little I did play blew me away. The amount of freedom and detail in it is awesome, really succeeds at making it feel like you're a part of a very believable world (and definitely not a terribly important part, which is great IMO).

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Hell yeah, it's legitimately one of my favourite adventure games. Now i have to make sure i can dig out my disks from some where in the pit that is my room so i can give it a whirl at some point.

Gelf

Apr 22, 2019
Really good to hear this! I went through a lot of hoops to get it to work on Win 10 last year, Would be nice never to have to do that again.

Reactions: dummmyy

BO7AMMOOD

Lucas isn't sure what to do anymore
Apr 18, 2019
This. I would love to go back and play it without a bunch of hoops to jump through. Damn. Now I want to play blade runner....
Would be great if the game was to be made available for purchase digitally with this fix pre-applied. Sadly re-releasing licensed games being the minefield that it is, and EA being... well, EA, there's next to no chance of that ever happening.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Would be great if the game was to be made available for purchase digitally with this fix pre-applied. Sadly re-releasing licensed games being the minefield that it is, and EA being... well, EA, there's next to no chance of that ever happening.
Well EA has blinked on such issues before - the System Shock license mainly. That their are companies from outside the realm of gaming involved, as it's a movie license (and maybe even Philip K Dick's estate, who the fuck know this many years removed). Apathy and hoops are a terrible thing unless youre the guy at nightdive who clearly lives for this.

TheLetdown

A six-pack of letdown.
Oct 30, 2018
YES. I was asking for this a while ago and it looked like the only option was to track down an old CD.

Iā€™ll straight up put this song on to chill:

vonarth

Apr 18, 2019
This game deserves to be played by so many more people. There are few like at and as good as what it does with branching storytelling and a real sense of the game world and characters reacting to your decisions and actions.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Despite being old and a huge fan of adventure games, I've never played this.

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I played it a few years ago through a custom installer someone made for modern Windows OS, but this is good to hear.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Can we expect this SCUMMVM build to reach a point that it can run the game properly with minimal issues by year's end at the earliest?

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
A GOG release would be amazing. I'd buy it despite already owning a physical copy.

Reactions: ISee

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I'd love to play this. If BR can make it, maybe the X Files game can too eventually? I recall examining the back of the box as a kid and imagining the stories the game would tell.

KainXVIII

DOS forever!
Dec 19, 2018
ScummVM :evilblob:
Blade Runners Needed!
Our ScummVM team is looking for Blade Runners who will help find, chase, and retire bugs which escaped from the off-world data colonies. These bugs are not dangerous and they won't stop you from discovering more secrets and choosing your fate. Your spinner, gun, ESPER machine and Voight - Kampff machine will be at your disposal.
We are announcing that Blade Runner is ready for testing. The following languages are supported - English (both CD and DVD releases), German, Italian, French, Spanish, and the unofficial Russian version by Fargus Multimedia.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I really want to play this at some point. It's a glaring hole in my "classic point and click games" history.

fokkusu

Burn baby burnšŸ”„šŸŽµ
Dec 9, 2018
40 minutes of copying files and it is working.
Some CDs aren't in good condition and a bit scratched, I better back this up,
I wish I had optical drive :p Let's hope for digital release in the future.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I was having the same fear, iSee. I need to find my disks and i haven't looked at them for YEARS. Eeep!

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
Hmm, I guess I have to buy a optical usb drive. And search for the box.

Last edited:

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Blade Runner has just been released on GOG with a footnote saying "This game is powered by SCUMMVM".

And bought, only a few games left (Nolf 1&2) of my CD collection. I just Ā“played an hour or so (until the first chase segment), game still looks good and the German dub is astonishingly superb.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I had a quick look in the GOG forum and couldn't see anything. I think it's one of the latest releases of the SCUMMVM with Blade Runner support so if you already have a working version from your own media i don't think there's any difference aside from Cloud Saves etc.

I'll check what version it comes with when i install it tomorrow.

edit: Kvik
Though there is thread this i just noticed: Restored Content?, page 1 - Forum - GOG.com

OP
Aelphaeis Mangarae

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
Absolutely awesome that this masterpiece is now available legally. The work done via ScummVM is absolutely fantastic. The vanilla version fixes heaps of bugs in the original game, and the restored version restores quite a bit of content that was orphaned to the game's production issues..

Reactions: Dandy and ISee