Opinion So, Korn - The Nothing...first time a record touches me in like 20 years

z1ggy

No Anime
Apr 17, 2019
Back story: So Korn's lead singer wife killed herself in august last year and this record is basically about that

Last time i "felt" a record was The Fragile from Nine Inch nails back in 1999 and i think it´s as honest as it can get, as well as Korns last record. A dark and deep journey through hell and how to get out of it. I admire the strenght of making a record like this one after losing so much and i can fell it in every song this record has.

Also, it´s probably first record i deeply enjoy since 2002 from them 🤔

Anyways, probably you dont like Korn but i think you should give this record a chance.

Last edited:

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019
Yeah, it's nice to hear JD put some real emotion into his vocals once again and The Nothing is drenched with his pain. For the longest time, KoRn has been stuck in this weird creative space where they're repeatedly attempting to duplicate what it was which made them great to begin with, starting with Take a Look in the Mirror. I actually really enjoy TaLitM still. It's a lot rawer than most give it credit for. Those first 6 albums were right before the band sorta lost their spark for me.

However, none of the songs on The Nothing really stood out to me as a, "Man, I need to listen to that again." It is nice to hear them feel authentic again though.

I was obsessed with KoRn for the longest time, Life Is Peachy being my fav. Good God is still one of the weirdest tracks I've ever heard.

Maybe The Nothing will grow on me in time... it's def. not The Fragile-level imho.

Reactions: z1ggy

teezzy

Apr 19, 2019
so def growing on me as i listen to it a little more here and there

I'm a big fan of Finally Free

KoRn has really weird song structures where im not entirely sure the verses match the chorus... it's weird

def a unique sounding band to this day

i wouldnt even classify them as metal, just like really dark alt-pop or something

Reactions: lashman
OP
z1ggy

z1ggy

No Anime
Apr 17, 2019
so def growing on me as i listen to it a little more here and there

I'm a big fan of Finally Free

KoRn has really weird song structures where im not entirely sure the verses match the chorus... it's weird

def a unique sounding band to this day

i wouldnt even classify them as metal, just like really dark alt-pop or something
Finally free is an amazing song.

teezzy

Apr 19, 2019
definitely growing on me

nothing groundbreaking

but korn hits me in the nostalgia feels

H@rd3r is a cool song
i remember being 10 years old and korn and slipknot and all this crap was like mind blowing

I was 8 when i first heard Nookie by limp bizkit. my first metal song ever

this angry dude with tattoos screaming about shoving cookies in people's asses and then slipknot and marilyn manson literally looked like monsters

i love the nu metal resurgence i really do

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Listened to a bit of it online, sounds exactly as I remember korn 15 years ago, which is not to their credit.

teezzy

Apr 19, 2019

This is a tight track. Love how KoRn are embracing their heavy Depeche Mode side more on this album.

Such a weird band. Never change, friends.
seriously, i mess with this song so hard.

that chorus hits me hard like im an angsty teen again

CAN YOU HEAR ME?!

'CAUSE I'M LOST!!!

AND I MAY NEVER COME BACK AGAIN...

AND WHILE MY HEART KEEPS HOLDING ON,

I KNOW I'LL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN

Last edited:
OP
z1ggy

z1ggy

No Anime
Apr 17, 2019
I went to listen all Korn albums this week and didnt remember how raw the first one is. Listening to "Daddy" really hurts.

Reactions: teezzy

teezzy

Apr 19, 2019
This is one of my favorite performances of any song by any band ever.

And the best song off of Life is Peachy (aka their best album) is...

Tbh, new Slipknot and Tool didn't really hold my interest. I'll always be a Freak though. \m/

Got me through so much crap as a kid. I'm so glad I never "grew out of it" like people always told me I would.
I feel the pain of your needles... as they shit INTO MY MIIIIIIINNNNDDDD YOU STOLE MY PRIIIIIIIDEEE WITHOUT A SIIIIIIIGGGN YOU SUCKED ME DRRYYYYYY