News Sony Group Corporation invests another $200 million in Epic Games

Sir Guts

Dragonslayer
Apr 11, 2019

Epic Games has completed a $1 billion round of funding that will allow the company to support future growth opportunities, including an additional $200 million strategic investment from Sony Group Corporation, the company announced.

Epic Games:
[The investment] builds on the already close relationship between the two companies and reinforces their shared mission to advance the state of the art in technology, entertainment, and socially-connected online services

Sony Group Corporation previously invested $250 million in Epic Games back in July 2020 to acquire a minority stake in the company.

Epic Games CEO and founder Tim Sweeny said in a statement:
We are grateful to our new and existing investors who support our vision for Epic and the Metaverse. Their investment will help accelerate our work around building connected social experiences in Fortnite, Rocket League, and Fall Guys, while empowering game developers and creators with Unreal Engine, Epic Online Services and the Epic Games Store.

Epic Games’ equity is now valued at $28.7 billion.

• Eyes
Reactions: Prodigy

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Sweeney really likes spending other people's money. I wonder if Epic is planning to go public soon.

• This!
Reactions: Wildebeet

Vantr

Feb 15, 2021
Since this concerns the metaverse, I think the metaverse is a cool concept only because in my head I think it will be a world similar to the Oasis in Ready Player One. Epic is probably in the best position of bringing that world into reality with the crossovers and the social experience they have created with their events in Fortnite.

I think the only other competitor I can think of would be Facebook and how they're pushing for social experiences in VR. They are the only competitor because once there is a "full dive" VR, the experience on that FB can provide would outclass Epic. Especially since the current metaverse Epic has only appeals to gamers.