Opinion Sony Just Confirmed Next Xbox Is Coming In 2019

Phawx

Not-tradamus
Sep 6, 2018
Alright before I start piecing the things together, this is speculation.

We know the following:

Sony won't be at E3 this year.
Sony stealth releases PS5 embargo for Wired to reveal info the day that Microsoft announced E3 plans.
Microsoft had great success releasing 360 a year earlier than PS3.
All of Sony's eggs are in the Playstation basket. They can't afford for Microsoft to actually compete.

June 9th, MS will announce Xbox is coming this year.

And as a friendly wager, I'll bet my tag on it.

If I'm wrong, whatever tag gets voted for me to have, I'll replace it forever. If I'm right, anyone who says it's Xbox in 2020 will have to have "Phawx was right" as their tag for a month.

Krakn3dfx

Sean Murray Apologist
Dec 17, 2018
Denver-ish, CO
Can't see that happening. MS has development time to consider for launch titles, they can't just shave off a year because Sony made an announcement. The worse thing they could do at this point would be to rush their next console out the door as a reactionary measure.

Reactions: lashman
OP
Phawx

Phawx

Not-tradamus
Sep 6, 2018
Can't see that happening. MS has development time to consider for launch titles, they can't just shave off a year because Sony made an announcement. The worse thing they could do at this point would be to rush their next console out the door as a reactionary measure.

That's the thing. I don't think this is reactionary from MS at all.

Reactions: Prodigy and lashman

bbq of doom

MetaMember
Nov 16, 2018
I actually think there's a lot of merit in this line of thought, but I also think a bit more would have leaked by now, no?

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I don't know, Sony might be arrogant again due to their strong market position but joining the new console generation a year later might be too risky even for them, people shift easily from one platform to another (as many switching from 360 to PS4 this gen proved) and I doubt they'll try the PS3 move again, since it didn't work too well for them back then. If Sony is launching PS5 next year, I think MS will too.

itsamiracle

Dec 31, 2018
Isn't it a bit too close to X? They'll probably make sure a lot of the tittles will be crossgen, but it can burn the audience.

bbq of doom

MetaMember
Nov 16, 2018
big businesses usually know about stuff like that

like, volvo knew about egs for a while (before they announced it), i believe
To be fair, there were a few reports re: the mid gen consoles that they (Sony/MS) largely developed them without the other knowing until a specific time in development. I wonder how much either knows about the other's plans for this next gen.

Which leads to this: what if Sony knew MS was debuting Anaconda at E3 so it decided to recalibrate around it and focus on 2020?

kaixere

Apr 17, 2019
Them mentioning it not being this year specifically had me thinking about MS trying to beat them to the punch again this gen. I’m interested to see what happens, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if we get the next Xbox this year

Reactions: lashman and PhaZZe

bbq of doom

MetaMember
Nov 16, 2018
Them mentioning it not being this year specifically had me thinking about MS trying to beat them to the punch again this gen. I’m interested to see what happens, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if we get the next Xbox this year
Precisely--no need to mention 2020 if you're not trying to combat expectation because of your competitor.

Delusi

Dec 21, 2018
Honestly? That's one of the two theories I've got to explain why Sony did this (the other theory was that they're planning a Q1 2020 release and wanted to get ahead of the inevitable technical rumourmongering that had already begun). But yeah, Sony wanting to get ahead of an Xbox Gen 4 this year is a far better explanation.

StereoVSN

Apr 7, 2019
That would be really surprising but I'm all for it just for all the drama it will cause.
While it would certainly be amusing, I just can't seen it happening.

Custom Zen 2 APUs aren't ready, Navi isn't ready, SSD prices are perhaps still a tad high and so is GDDSR6 and HBM2. 7nm process isn't ready for console scale production as so far we have seen cell phones and custom high end GPUs on it.

I mean MS could still launch a half baked platform that's not much better than Xbone X for $499 just because but that's highly unlikely.

Arkanius

Dec 21, 2018
While it would certainly be amusing, I just can't seen it happening.

Custom Zen 2 APUs aren't ready, Navi isn't ready, SSD prices are perhaps still a tad high and so is GDDSR6 and HBM2. 7nm process isn't ready for console scale production as so far we have seen cell phones and custom high end GPUs on it.

I mean MS could still launch a half baked platform that's not much better than Xbone X for $499 just because but that's highly unlikely.
We are excluding the possibility of Microsoft going with an Nvidia solution for GPU?
The relations between the two are still broken since Xbox OG correct?

FireEmoji

Apr 17, 2019
Seems like a leap to me.

I think it's as simple as Sony did some near finalization of specs and is confident that info about their decisions would increase hype; the specs really do speak for themselves and you really dont need a flashy show or presentation.

And I imagine they know MS can't really out-do anything they've laid out; so they get to be the "First" to announce that next gen is going to be beastly. MS might be able to outdo them in TFs or some other factor but won't be the first to announce SSD for instance anymore.