Opinion (SPOILERS) Most & Least Memorable Video Game Levels

Eriugam

Premium Title
Nov 6, 2018
United Kingdom
**Just a forewarning, this thread will likely contain spoilers for many video games!**

Hi Meta, what are your most & least memorable video game levels/missions?

Memorable;

Max Payne 3 - Chapter XIV
MGS V: TPP - Episode 43
Call of Duty 4 - Shock and Awe
TES Oblivion - Pained World
The Witcher 3 - Hearts of Stone (the entire thing)
Mass Effect 2 - Suicide Mission
Yakuza 0 - Miracle on Tenkaichi Street
Uncharted 2 - The Train
Half Life 2 - Ravenholm
THUG 2 - Pro Skater level

Least memorable;

Kotor 2 - rescue the exile (the entire thing including Goto's Yacht)
Dark Souls 1 - Blighttown
GTA 3 - Decoy
Half Life 1 - Final level
Duke Nukem Forever - Entire game
Driver - the carpark tutorial
GTA V - By the book
Far Cry 3 - Payback
Tomb Raider Underworld - Helheim
Fallout 3 - Take it back

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
The most memorable level for me in Dishonored 2 is the Clockwork Mansion.
A crazy,genious inventor, built himself a mansion where every single room has multiple "modes": his bedroom, is his workshop, is his art gallery. And each transition leads to the walls shifting, and things moving around.
To make this work, essentially half the mansion has levels in between everything, and you can slip in there. This even allows you finish the entire level undetected just by staying in these inbetween spaces (easier than it sounds, requires some precarious jumping and teleporting), as Jindosh (the creator of this madness) can see everything his creations can and will detect you if you just walk around)

Least memoroable level:
Basically any game that has a sewer level

OP
Eriugam

Eriugam

Premium Title
Nov 6, 2018
United Kingdom
The most memorable level for me in Dishonored 2 is the Clockwork Mansion.
A crazy,genious inventor, built himself a mansion where every single room has multiple "modes": his bedroom, is his workshop, is his art gallery. And each transition leads to the walls shifting, and things moving around.
To make this work, essentially half the mansion has levels in between everything, and you can slip in there. This even allows you finish the entire level undetected just by staying in these inbetween spaces (easier than it sounds, requires some precarious jumping and teleporting), as Jindosh (the creator of this madness) can see everything his creations can and will detect you if you just walk around)

Least memoroable level:
Basically any game that has a sewer level
I've been contemplating whether to pick-up Dishonored. Should I start with the original game?

Reactions: lashman

Nahkapukki

Finest Finn
Sep 7, 2018
The Iciest Hole
Most memorable for me is the Citadel Station in System Shock 1. I still remember some of the passcodes, secret places and so on.

Least memorable would be any of those game/movie corridor shooters with set pieces that make you walk around while a sound is playing in your ear telling you about the surroundings or people.

dummmyy

Dumb fool
Nov 14, 2018
Most:

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines - Ocean House Hotel
Seconded on this one.

My other most memorable:

Peragus Mining Station in KOTOR 2. I remember the first time I played this, it gave my friends and I such a weird, creepy vibe! This may or may not be a controversial opinion, lol.
Saturn Valley in Earthbound. Just silly and awesome music.
Los Santos - GTA San Andreas. Was funny to see the parody R* came up with for 90's LA, having spent most of my childhood in similar areas.
First level of B.O.B (SNES). I remember being amazed and completely taken aback when first playing this level. In retrospect not as impressive, but still one of the most memorable.

Least memorable:
I just can't remember 'em!

OP
Eriugam

Eriugam

Premium Title
Nov 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Seconded on this one.

My other most memorable:

Peragus Mining Station in KOTOR 2. I remember the first time I played this, it gave my friends and I such a weird, creepy vibe! This may or may not be a controversial opinion, lol.
Saturn Valley in Earthbound. Just silly and awesome music.
Los Santos - GTA San Andreas. Was funny to see the parody R* came up with for 90's LA, having spent most of my childhood in similar areas.
First level of B.O.B (SNES). I remember being amazed and completely taken aback when first playing this level. In retrospect not as impressive, but still one of the most memorable.

Least memorable:
I just can't remember 'em!
I found the Peragus Mining Facility to be a poor tutorial. It just felt really rushed and there was no way of skipping it!

Playtendox

MetaLurker
Nov 20, 2018
Austria
Man this is a tough one.

There are a few that come to mind but if I had to pick just one mission/level, I'd say the "Whodunit?" quest that was part of the Dark Brotherhood in TES IV Oblivion. You're at a party and the goal is to kill all the guests without having them find out that you are the killer. It sounds simple, but it was so well done and a lot of fun to play through as well. It's been ages since I played it, but I still remember almost everything about this quest.

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
Hmm. great idea!

Most memorable:
Dark Souls: After the long and treacherous way through the Burg and you get to the church. Taking the elevator down..... to where you started. That was awesome.
Alien Isolation: Towards the end when you get outside of the station. Wow, that immersion. It felt like I could float into the dark.

Least memorable:
Half-Life 2: Ravenholm. I don't like horror. Admittedly, they did a good job with the level but I just wanted it to be over.
Binary Domain: Again, at the end when gameplay changes into airborne mecha fighting. What a drag!

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
I usually don't recall games in terms of specific levels, but there is one that sticks out in my memory:

The intro level in the original Half-Life, where you are being passively transported via the Black Mesa transit system, and to a lesser degree the sequence after that and up until the disaster strikes. Going back and playing HL: Source many years later, this level no longer felt as impressive as it did back when it was released, and yet it is still stuck in my memory with a surprising amount of clarity. It'll be interesting to see how I fell about it when Black Mesa is finally complete and I can experience it again.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Very old thread, but I'm jumping in because why not šŸ˜›

Least memorable is already forgotten lol, but I didn't like one or two areas of Tomb Raider 2013.

Most Memorable
  1. Titanfall 2 SP : Cause and Effect. Almost all of the Titanfall 2 missions are amazing, but this level in particular is just so good.
  2. Yakuza 0 : Chapter 3 opening. No character introduction will be more glorious than Goro Majima's.
  3. Sleeping Dogs : Missons relating to Winston's wedding. I've never felt like I've been actual friends with a couple than with Winston and Penny. And so
    I cannot tell you how enraged I got when they were killed. Like the shootout that happened, I killed every thug as brutally as possible.
  4. Radiant Historia : Learning about the Sand Plague and the "evil empire" (Chapters 2-3). One of the most innovative time travel games, the best thing about it was you have to go through two different sides of the same event to gain a better perspective on things happening around you.
  5. LIMBO : Ending. Oooff... The ending hits hard!