News Star Citizen - "Incompetence And Mismanagement On A Galactic Scale" - Forbes

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT

Forbes Magazine discusses the Star Citizen and Squadron 42 project and highlights a number of previous and ongoing problems with development.
Obsidian Ant is one of the bigger "space game" streamers. I like to watch his videos because he is well-spoken, objective and just makes great videos. So this will be interesting. Hopefullly the rabid fans of SC can constrain themselves and maybe we see a statement out of CIG.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I don't see why this is being attacked so hard over any other KS project. I guess it brings in traffic with both the crazy amount of backers and people interested in it, and bystanders who just hear about the obscene amount of money and therefor click to read the article, watch the video, enjoy feeling superior to dumb backers wasting thousands of dollars (as if I can know if that's peanuts to whoever gave that much or not, as long as they're aware as with any other crowd funding project there's risk involved and it might not pan out I couldn't care less), whatever. I guess it's kind of been the ground to create a whole side industry of this concern trolling opposition. Yes it might not pan out. Or it might. Yes it's been delay after delay. But it's not like it's in danger of running out of money packing up and going home any time soon. I see attacks on this pretty much the same as attacks on Shenmue 3, also called a scam every so often but clearly shaping up for an eventual release, just on a much different, smaller scale. I can't wait to see more of Squadron 42, that's the side of the game I'm most interested in :)

By the way his brotherErin is not some random, he's been in the industry for about as long as himself. This isn't a royal family sitting on its ass getting paid. It's like Forbes think they're writing some political scandal story with under the table deals and hidden relationships, it's all been transparent and well documented.

Any idea what happened with that Crytek vs Star Citizen lawsuit deal over them dropping CryEngine in favor of Amazon's version which is still CryEngine but sub-licensed and developed on its own? Last I read last year Crytek's case was being dismissed bit by bit but who knows if they appealed or whatever.

Last edited:

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I don't see why this is being attacked so hard over any other KS project. I guess it brings in traffic with both the crazy amount of backers and people interested in it, and bystanders who just hear about the obscene amount of money and therefor click to read the article, watch the video, enjoy feeling superior to dumb backers wasting thousands of dollars (as if I can know if that's peanuts to whoever gave that much or not, as long as they're aware as with any other crowd funding project there's risk involved and it might not pan out I couldn't care less), whatever. I guess it's kind of been the ground to create a whole side industry of this concern trolling opposition. Yes it might not pan out. Or it might. Yes it's been delay after delay. But it's not like it's in danger of running out of money packing up and going home any time soon. I see attacks on this pretty much the same as attacks on Shenmue 3, also called a scam every so often but clearly shaping up for an eventual release, just on a much different, smaller scale. I can't wait to see more of Squadron 42, that's the side of the game I'm most interested in :)

By the way his brotherErin is not some random, he's been in the industry for about as long as himself. This isn't a royal family sitting on its ass getting paid.

Any idea what happened with that Crytek vs Star Citizen lawsuit deal over them dropping CryEngine in favor of Amazon's version which is still CryEngine but sub-licensed and developed on its own? Last I read last year Crytek's case was being dismissed bit by bit but who knows if they appealed or whatever.
Because it's so much larger than any other KS project, it's scope exploded from those original promises.
I have my doubts, but i'd like to see it one day release and be exactly as described. The article goes into the problems the game at one time or another suffered from and why people are skeptical.

As for the lawsuit over lumberyard, I don't think there has been any public updates since Crytek lost, but I could be wrong. Star Citizen threads tend to end up a lot like EGS thread - lots of arguing with no clear end in sight, and I tend to avoid them

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
I tried it out yesterday again, it runs great for me, about 100fps. Well, great, as long as you don't run into bugs, and you will. Flew to my mission point, landed, tried to get out of the ship, char spazzes out, dies in the door. Wake up at Olisar, ship still at another planet, try to retrieve "wait 5 minutes or pay up", I pay because I don't want to wait another 5 minutes. Retrieval console spazzes out "wait 5 minutes or pay up". ESC. Quit game.