Q&A Star Citizen - Squadron 42

hanmik

A result of the time before Condoms.
Oct 9, 2018
Faroe Islands
Hello there.

Just wanted to hear what you fellow gamers think of this "game".. and how it came to "be"..

It´s a backed game, which almost has had $200.000.000 funded... it is a crazy amount of money for a crowd backed/funded game.
The game has not launched in a solid state yet, backers have some sort of "concept game" to enjoy until they manage to make the game they have promised the backers.
And they have since the first day, changed a lot of the goals and more. The game is coming in multiple parts, with a separate single player release called Squadron 42 launching anytime now. A roadmap to launch is promised in December. And they just delivered this trailer for the game.

What do you think of this game? if you know me, you will know my opinion on this "game" .. ;o)

CrazyJuan

Pirate Legend
Oct 9, 2018
Torn, on the one hand I kind of admire SC's ambition and desire to really push the envelope on delivered experience. On the other hand they haven't delivered it, To the best of my knowledge anyway. I'm not a backer so I dont really have vested interest. I marvel that they keep finding ways to get paid.

Reactions: hanmik and lashman
OP
hanmik

hanmik

A result of the time before Condoms.
Oct 9, 2018
Faroe Islands
Torn, on the one hand I kind of admire SC's ambition and desire to really push the envelope on delivered experience. On the other hand they haven't delivered it, To the best of my knowledge anyway. I'm not a backer so I dont really have vested interest. I marvel that they keep finding ways to get paid.
"We do not have a game ready for you yet, BUT in the meantime buy some big spaceships for around $10.000"

CrazyJuan

Pirate Legend
Oct 9, 2018
Wing Commander, Xwing/Tie Fighter, Independence War 2. Where are the modern takes on these games? As much as I love Everspace and Elite Dangerous both, neither one really fills the void.

Reactions: Nahkapukki

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
yeah, I payed like 20€ for this like 5 years ago... and Im happy... many people get so caught up in this and call it a scam and what not while ignoring reality imo...
shit looks fine and gets along fine... the curse of open development...
not that they are not free of criticism... but the internet mob is again totally over the top without any regard for reality

and Elite Dangerous is the tits... just saying :p

CrazyJuan

Pirate Legend
Oct 9, 2018
yeah, I payed like 20€ for this like 5 years ago... and Im happy... many people get so caught up in this and call it a scam and what not while ignoring reality imo...
shit looks fine and gets along fine... the curse of open development...
not that they are not free of criticism... but the internet mob is again totally over the top without any regard for reality

and Elite Dangerous is the tits... just saying :p
o7 CMDR :)

Reactions: Schnitzelfee

Deleted member 113

I'm glad you brought the game up, hanmik, since it made me log-in to my account for the first time in several years.
It's been so long since I logged-in, I actually had to transfer my pre-order, and convert my account. :)

Anyway, I pre-ordered the game when it first appeared (and before it was split into two). After all this time and money, with not much in the way of results, I can't say I have any expectations, so I haven't even followed the game in recent years, at all. Ever since they, before even having something to show, started sending me emails promoting the sales of virtual ships, and whatnot, for hundreds of dollars, I said screw it, this is not for me.

I love Wing Commander and Freelancer, reason why I pre-ordered the game when they launched their crowdfunding efforts, but all this game has managed so far is to remind me why Chris Roberts was essentially kicked out by Microsoft on Freelancer, after multiple delays and going over budget several times, and if they hadn't done so the game would probably never launch. Oh, and Freelancer rocks! :love:

Since I'm pretty much a single-player gamer only, I couldn't care less about that online universe they keep talking about, and selling ships and virtual items for astronomical fees. All I want is for a small bit of decently entertaining single-player gaming. If Squadron 42 ever launches, and it's enjoyable enough, I'll get my money's worth. If not, well, it's not a big loss.

Hilariously enough, for someone who couldn't be bothered to follow the game in recent years, when I logged-in and searched a bit for info about what I'm supposed to receive, I discovered that apparently people would pay some nice € for my account.
You see, because I subscribed to a mailing list before the game was even announced, I have a "VIP Golden Ticket" that is supposed to offer some in-game items. That, and because I backed the game when it launched, I have some other added rewards as an "Original and Veteran Backer".
Weird to see people offering a few hundred € for accounts that will eventually receive "exclusive in-game items" for a game that... still isn't.

And I found it hysterical that, in the rewards listed on my account, I discovered I'm supposed to receive a Mission Disk (expansion) for this game for free, one called "Behind Enemy Lines".
Am I the only one that finds it hilarious that they are offering an expansion, already named and all, for a game that was supposedly launching on 2016, according to its developers, and that 2 years later, is nowhere to be found (with no release date even announced)? I'll probably die before they release that expansion!

I wish Microsoft remastered Freelancer, and like they did with Age of Empires 2, released some brand new content/expansions for it.
If they started working on it today, they would probably get it out before Squadron 42 launches. :giggle:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
well being able to actually get out of the ship and walk around kinda implied that would eventually be the case, i guess ... that's just so much more ambitious than Elite

but i guess Frontier just chose a different way to do things - release a relatively barebones version first and then keep adding to it

Reactions: hanmik