News Steam Blog: Best of 2020 (best sellers of the year and a look back to past years)

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
This won't be just a copy paste of the blog, no, my objective is to replicate what I do week after week in the Steam Weekly Top Sellers thread but in a much bigger scope, why? Because it's a very interesting kind of data and because 2020, even tho it has been a rough year, it has been a quite interesting one too when it comes to Steam gaming, to make it simple, this is a year in which Persona 4 Golden, Half-Life: Alyx, HZD, Death Stranding, Red Dead Redemption 2, Cyberpunk 2077 and some more games are in the same list, isn't it crazy?

Ok, now that this is settled I think it's time we get this thing started.

First things First, as it's tradition the Top 100 games are represented within 4 categories based on Gross Revenue which are Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze, to understand this you must keep in mind that even if it's Bronze the fact that it's in the top 100 means it has been one of the biggest releases of the year.

Top Sellers

This list is straightforward - a look at the 100 games earning the most revenue on Steam during 2020. To get the total revenue for each game, we look at game sales, in-game transactions, and DLC sales from January 1st, 2020 through December 18th, 2020.

Since we've been organizing top sellers now for five years, it's interesting to take a look at how the top games have changed from year to year, or in some cases stayed exactly the same. GTA V, Dota 2, and CS:GO all have the honor of making the platinum category five times since we began these lists in 2016. Rainbow Six: Siege and PUBG are not far behind, both with four appearances in the platinum category. Several brand new 2020 releases have also gone straight to the top, with DOOM Eternal, Cyberpunk 2077, and Fall Guys each having tremendous 2020 success. We've linked previous year's Best of Steam lists at the bottom of this post for those who want to jump in and compare even further.
Official lists are randomly sorted (each refresh will change the position, however, I will sort it by name.

Platinum category:
  • Among Us
  • Counter Strike: Global Offensive
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Destiny 2
  • Doom Eternal
  • Dota 2
  • Fall Guys
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Monster Hunter World
  • PUBG
  • Rainbow6 Siege
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Platinum category is what you could expect, a lot of juggernauts, a lot of GAAS and most interestingly, Among Us and Fall Guys are included, as you already know, this two games have been top sellers since Summer until now and that's just crazy, things like C2077, RDR2 or Monster Hunter were given but Doom Eternal? woah with the demon slayer, not a bad platinum category.

A few observations:

-Lack of Rocket League due to delisting
-Lack of multiple Ubi games (this already happened in 2019) due to abanding partially the platform (as they keep releasing some stuff)
-PUBG still strong since release

You can compare the platinum category with the ones from previos years (2016-today):

Gold category:
  • Ark
  • Baldur's Gate 3 (Early Access)
  • Borderlands 3
  • Civilization 6
  • Crusader Kings 3
  • Dead by Daylight
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection
  • Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord
  • Phasmophobia
  • Sea of Thieves
  • The Elder Scrolls: Online
  • Warframe

Unlike the Platinum category, gold is less GAAS oriented and more core-community, things like CK3, Civ6, BG3's EA, Bannerlord or Halo MCC found a good success thanks to a very passionated community, some because of the genre, some because of returning icons, now the most impressive one would be (aside of Phasmophobia which is the third of 2020's trinity) Sea of Thieves, out of nowhere it found a very interesting community and not just that but also very active, game is thriving since Steam release and numbers are big, who said pirates weren't cool?

What about Borderlands 3? well, it's borderlands, even after the EGS exclusivity it found a good number of players within Steam, not surprising but still interesting.

Older Gold categories:

Silver category:
  • Assassins Creed: Odyssey
  • Black Desert online: Remastered
  • Cities Skylines
  • Euro Truck Simulator 2
  • Final Fantasy XIV online
  • Flight Simulator 2020
  • Hades
  • Path of Exile Heist
  • Planet Zoo
  • Raft
  • Rust
  • Stellaris
  • Team Fortress 2
  • The Witcher 3
  • Total War Warhammer 2
  • War Thunder

Silver category is quite similar to Gold but filled mostly with older games from previous years but of course there are exceptions like Flight Simulator or the CHAMP Hades, which is one of the most awared games of the year and pretty much like Borderlands, after an EGS timed exclusivity period it found a great community on Steam when 1.0 released, did you know that the game has been on the weekly top 10 for 15 weeks in a row? that's just impressive, don't you think?

Older Silver categories:

Bronze category:
  • Age of Empires 2 Remastered
  • American Truck Simulator
  • Apex Legends
  • Arma 3
  • Call of Duty Black Ops 3
  • Command and Conquer remastered collection
  • Conan Exiles
  • Dark Souls 3
  • DayZ
  • Death Stranding
  • Deep Rock Galactic
  • Divinity 2 Original Sin
  • Don't Starve Together
  • Dragon Ball Z Kakarot
  • Dying Light
  • Fallout 4
  • Fallout 76
  • Farcry 5
  • Farming Simulator 19
  • Fifa 21
  • Football Manager 21
  • Grounded
  • GTFO
  • Half Life Alyx
  • Hearts of Iron 4
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Human Fall Flat
  • Hunt Showdown
  • Lords Mobile
  • Marvel's Avengers
  • Metro Exodus
  • NBA 2K20
  • NBA 2K21
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • Persona 4 Golden
  • Pummel Party
  • Remnant: From the Ashes
  • Resident Evil 3 Remake
  • Rimworld
  • Risk of Rain 2
  • Satisfactory
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  • Smite
  • Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order
  • Star Wars: Sqadrons
  • Stardew Valley
  • Tabletop Simulator
  • Temtem
  • Terraria
  • TES Skyrim Definitive Edition
  • The Forest
  • The Hunter: Call of the Wild
  • The Sims 4
  • Total War Three Kingdoms
  • Wallpaper Engine
  • Wolcen Bloodtrail
  • World of Warships
  • Yu-gi-oh Dual links

And here we have what I consider the best category, not because they are the bigger grossing games of 2020 but because it's the most varied category each year, I mean, in this same spot we have Death Stranding, 2 Star Wars games, Temtem (an spanish creature capture game), A FRICKING HALF-LIFE GAME, A PERSONA GAME or Horizon Zero Dawn, isn't it crazy? 2020 has been kind of interesting and 2021 sure seems like it will keep growing in terms of variety, damn good.

Same deal, older Bronze categories.

As you can see, a lot changes in just a year, some go up, some go down and some stay the same but always with a great number of varied products and this retrospective of 5 years of games helps a lot to bring up a good vision of how the platform is evolving.

2020 has been the year in which EA came back, Bethesda and MS went all-in on Steam and people delivered, the year in which we got a Persona game, a previous PS4 exclusive from a 1P team, a previous Nintendo exclusive from Platinum games (more to follow after this post ^^) a new HL game and more, so, what will 2021 bring us? we can't possibly know let's hope for something as amazing as 2020 in terms of gaming, shall we?

I hope you liked the thread, if you want to participate, please do :cat-heart-blob:
More things to follow after this post, you will see.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I was surprised to see Stellaris in Silver, it's an early-2016 (!) release originally.
Their deep-discounts-on-main-game plus lots of DLC strategy is clearly working out for them.

It's interesting to see something a bit like a "service" strategy play out for a very traditional core game genre.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Echoing my thoughts from the other thread:

Platinum

No surprises there so far but seeing Among Us there is very cool as the list is based on revenue, from a game with barely any players on PC to one of the most played this year!

Gold

Here we have two games who were exclusive to MS platforms and find success on Steam. Halo MCC selling well is not a surprise as the return of the main series to the PC was heavily anticipated, Sea of Thieves appears to have found a new public on Steam with plenty of players still playing it.

Crusader Kings III must have been the biggest launch so far from Paradox Interactive Games. Also in the Gold category we have Phasmophobia, released in September a lot of us thought it could leave the top weekly sellers list after Halloween was over though it keeps selling well.

Another interesting game there is Borderlands 3. It was exclusive on EGS for a period of 6 months though it still managed to find public on Steam.

Silver

In the silver category we mostly have already established games though we also have Hades and Microsoft Flight Simulator. Hades release on Steam was well received and the game is Overwhelming Positive going by the community reviews, it also figured in some top 10 weeklies and still maintain an active number of players.

Bronze

• EA got 6 games in the bronze category so it seems their return to Steam was successful!
  • One of the biggest exclusives of the PS4 also released on PC this year and even though it had a rough launch it still made in the top 100 earners from 2020.
  • Persona 4 Golden did well to the surprise of no one except Atlus executives.
  • HL: ALyx must have sold well even though it's exclusive to VR
  • IMO Death Stranding was more well received on PC than the console release, still nice to see it in the list

Reactions: Mor and lashman
OP
Mor

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
As I said, keep in mind that if the game is in the top 100 it doesn't matter if it's Bronze or Gold, it has been one of the best releases of the year period.

OP
Mor

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
It's time to take a look at each individual month of the year and see which ones were the best releases, as the top 100 is revenue based and it includes games from other years it's easy to miss some amazing releases so let's check this, shall we?

January:
Great month for the Atelier saga (Dusk remasters), the Spanish gaming scene with commandos and TemTem (which also entered the Bronze category of top 100) and in general a very good entry month for 2020.

February:
Really interesting releases here, first of all and most importantly, the first EGS exclusive gets released on Steam (Metro Exodus), we got World of Horror, amazing horror indie in the feel of Junji Ito's work, Wolcen was an unexpected success and as a personal note, the release of the amazing Daemon X Machina after a period of exclusivity on Switch.

March:
Oh March, Half-Life's month because we didn't just get an AMAZING remake (or reinterpretation) made by the community with the final release of Black Mesa but we also got Alyx, a new game for the saga, Borderlands 3 released on Steam after 6 months of exclusivity on EGS and it managed to enter the Gold category, Ori, Doom Eternal, Bannerlord (which was a juggernaut), COLD STEEL 3!!! and a great number of amazing indies, seriously good month.

April:
We slow down a bit in terms of big releases but not in terms of quality because we got things like Cloudpunk, Resident Evil 3 remake or the amazing Gears Tactics alongside Xcom Chimera Squad, another classic came back in the form of remake, Trials of Mana, what a wonderful classic.

May:
More or less in the same mood as April, calmed month before the storm, great games released, Gunfire Reborn and DRGalactic were both really successful, Observation was an amazing sci-fi adventure too, so, what's your favorite May's release?

June:
June is without any doubt THE MONTH! (at a personal level) because we got Persona 4 Golden, a hit, it was EA's month with great games such as Battlefront 2 or Titanfall 2, Detroit released on Steam too which could be considered the first Sony game to come to the platform and a good number of EGS games ended exclusivity and came to the platform, Griftlands, Satisfactory or the amazing classic Journey.

July:
Summer is here and so are great games to enjoy this atypical sunny summer, so, in order to stay as much as we could at home we got things like Carrion, Death Stranding, Othercide or Destroy All Humans remake. Not just that but also more SAO, the classic Old Republic MMO or Skater XL.

A curious one is Fault, a Paragon clone that was created with the same assets and some little changes, it found a player base for some time but never really went as popular as the Epic Games game. What's your favorite from here?

August:
No better way of ending the warm summer than by playing things such as Control, Fall Guys or the historical release of HZD on PC, none of this are your cup of tea? don't worry, we had a factorio right here, a wasteland to explore or an spritfire to relax or perhaps you are more of Olver Atom's team? August was a very cool month.

September:
Where's my text?

HONK!!!

Damn it! We might have to call the avengers to get rid of this goose problem :evilblob:

October:
After all the summer it comes the Autumn and well, it's more calmed but still full of amazing releases, Teardown, Little Hope, Baldurs Gate 3 EA (amazing juggernaut) or perhaps Runescape? there's a bit of everything for everyone in here.

November:
Busy month, from the Yokohama streets in Yakuza 7 to the frontier in Titanfall/Apex, we also visited the landscapes of China in Shenmue 3, cared about our rice in Japan and played with the perspective with Superliminal, varied month, don't you think?

December:
The return of Worms, the indie concept of AC with Wingman, RDO got an standalone release, Creeper world 4 finally released, Shiren, how we could forget? Another amazing spanish game, Call of the Sea, the lovely Haven, the amazing DQ11 S or the deep and obscure Cyberpunk 2077.

We also got another high profile VR game, MOH :blobeyes:

So, what do you think about 2020? In my honest opinion, this was an amazing year! DAAAAAMN! :blobeyes::blobeyes::blobeyes:
2021 is going be even better!

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
So many good games! And I even forgot that some of them were released this year :sweaty-blob:

Like Black Mesa, I finished it in 2019 as the game was feature complete but I totally forgot the "official" release in March.

Reactions: Mor and lashman

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Nice to see Dragon Marked for Death in there. It feels really "indie" while being rather unique in what it delivers, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, so good to see it finding some success.

Reactions: lashman and Mor
OP
Mor

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Yeah, even tho they didn't make into the top 100 that doesn't mean they bombed, a lot of them had quite successful launches and sold a good chunk of copies.