|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

undu

Mar 17, 2019
That is a strange title: Valve is offering (sponsoring) machines with AMD GPUs to be added to the testing infrastructure of the Mesa open-source graphic drivers.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I now have a gaming laptop but I still want a Steam Deck :cry:. Damn you Gaben!
Same, but the gaming laptop's a bit heavy when you wanna game on the couch/in bed, no? :p so you pretty much NEED a steamdeck..is what im telling myself :p
(but yeah, as i mentioned, i wanted this thing for ages, before it even existed i kept hoping somebody would make it)

*edit: I'm super happy I have my gaming laptop either way as my main PCs GPU died recently :/ so i use it all the time now...its pretty much becoming my main computer

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Same, but the gaming laptop's a bit heavy when you wanna game on the couch/in bed, no? :p so you pretty much NEED a steamdeck..is what im telling myself :p
(but yeah, as i mentioned, i wanted this thing for ages, before it even existed i kept hoping somebody would make it)

*edit: I'm super happy I have my gaming laptop either way as my main PCs GPU died recently :/ so i use it all the time now...its pretty much becoming my main computer
The only time I tried using a laptop in bed it was far from satisfying. First I don't recall it precisely but there must be an angle of vision issue, I want to use the thing while lying in bed, not sitting. And second, one thing I remember very well, is the fucking heat exhaust from the thing that gently cook your basin :anguished-face:

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
The only time I tried using a laptop in bed it was far from satisfying. First I don't recall it precisely but there must be an angle of vision issue, I want to use the thing while lying in bed, not sitting. And second, one thing I remember very well, is the fucking heat exhaust from the thing that gently cook your basin :anguished-face:
yep exactly. and the touchpad is no replacement for a mouse, so controlling anything is a chore. plus, battery life isnt so great on my laptop, so after a while I needed the power cord anyway

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I don’t think gaming laptops are really all that good for portable play. They have their uses, but you’ll still want to play games on a surface rather than your lap. And you’ll definitely want it plugged in.

I think if I moved around a lot or didn’t have space for a TV, I’d probably get a gaming laptop. But there are devices that are better gaming PCs and devices that are better portables.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Hell yeah

Next up would be a system to automatically set up cloud saves for all games where the devs didn't bother themselves. 🤞
Or maybe Steam should at least make them mandatory going forward.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Hell yeah

Next up would be a system to automatically set up cloud saves for all games where the devs didn't bother themselves. 🤞
There are almost assuredly third party apps that can do that. But I haven’t looked into it too much.

I don’t think Valve is going to override a developers wishes to not use Steam Cloud Saves, for whatever dumb or reasonable reason they have.

Reactions: LEANIJA

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Yeah I know it's probably a pipe dream. But I just want cloud saves to be everywhere :confounded-face:
But hopefully there will at least be an up-tick in cloud save support if the Deck gets popular enough.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Hell yeah

Instead of that, Valve should just upload the Deck RAM savestates to the cloud for games like that.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I have a feeling that full support for dynamic cloud saves (e.g. including the notification/reload after wakeup from sleep etc.) is going to be very rare. Simply because some devs/publishers can't be bothered to enter a path in an online form in order to get standard cloud saves, and dynamic cloud saves with full support requires actual implementation effort.

That said, for me personally, this also really isn't a big deal. My usage pattern, since I got the Deck, is much more to have dedicated "Deck games" and dedicated "Stationary PC games" than to frequently switch the same game between one and the other. Even when I'm home (which is most of the time these days) I'd rather play "Deck games" on the Deck, since I can do so anywhere.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com

I use a lap desk.

But yes, my laptop has a 1060 in it so I am looking forward to a modern machine for modern gaming.

Basically, a replacement for this laptop that is a $2,000.

Not a fan of handheld gaming, but the fact that I will instantly have a large library is an immediate draw.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
When I bought my first gaming laptop a couple of years ago I said to myself that I will never buy a desktop PC again because I can pack it up in like 2 minutes and go to my friend's place to play together but with Steam Deck arriving I think this will change. I might see myself using Desktop PC + handheld PC combo, but it depends on how happy I will be with Steam Deck.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Eames chair is such a nice looking chair. I always wish my college would have created its Industrial Design program before I started university. I absolutely love furniture design. By the time they made it a program, I was already over halfway to graduation. Whatdoyoudo

Reactions: Mor and C-Dub

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
The pace of these is a bit slow, though. Given the thousands of games on Steam, they need to verify and check a couple of hundred games every single day to make any dent into it.

Given that this is Valve, I wonder if they are trying to automate this process. Like something that installs and runs the game on a Windows machine, records the video, then does the same on a Deck, and let some AI compare the footage to decide if it's a close enough match (including replicating the same inputs, etc.)

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
The pace of these is a bit slow, though. Given the thousands of games on Steam, they need to verify and check a couple of hundred games every single day to make any dent into it.

Given that this is Valve, I wonder if they are trying to automate this process. Like something that installs and runs the game on a Windows machine, records the video, then does the same on a Deck, and let some AI compare the footage to decide if it's a close enough match (including replicating the same inputs, etc.)
They will probably do the top games on Steam and then focus on verifying new games going forward. Unless they want to hire an army of testers to go through every hentai puzzle game and evaluate them for their Steam Deck Verified criteria, then I suspect most games will rely on crowdsourced updates as "playable" or "broken" and will be that way forever.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I also wonder what Valves plan is—didnt they say they will test the whole Steam catalogue? maybe they have trained robots in their Aperture Labs?

more realistically, maybe they've outsourced it all somehow...

still, its kinda weird that its not progressed more already, given that there are checks search ... holy hell, 60,000 games on Steam.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
I thought they were outsourcing some of the testing, but now I cannot find where I read that, so it must have been an assumption online when they first announced the program.

That said, the pace at which these are dropping is...hmmm. Especially when they say, "Before Steam Deck ships, you'll be able to see the compatibility rating for any game on Steam, including an easy way to check all the games that you already own. "

And I mean, technically, unknown is a compatibility rating, but if 95% of your games are unknown, it is going to be at least a bit worrisome for some folks. I suppose they may be able to quickly flag any VR only game as unsupported which probably knocks off ~4,250 or so titles. Then they will probably flag any anime games as unsupported, and that will probably knock off another ~50,000 or so titles, so that only leave around 10,000 they still need to validate.