|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
If it comes to Norway I mgetting the middle sku. Travelling with the Steam Deck is far more tempting that with my Switch.

Reactions: lashman

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
This is also interesting (but necessary for a portable of course):

And that's actually an advantage over going with Windows, since as stupid as it sounds it might be easier to get a whole lot of the Steam library to work smoothly with that when they are running through Proton on Linux than it would be on native Windows.
That's a huge factor for me. I have a half-decent Android tablet and a laptop I can remote play stuff onto but I have to either touchscreen it or juggle controllers / mice / whatever but here it's literally pick up and play. It is actually a lower resolution than my tablet I think so technically worse for some remote play options I guess?

Ho-lee shite.
I don't need it... but I really want it.

I really hope that this is Steam's new Big Picture UI or somesuch. I really want to use a version of that on my current PC, just a bit more zoomed out to accomodate higher DPI's.
Yea legit one of the things I'm most hoping for is BPM finally getting into a usable state

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
This looks great. I'm really glad the legacy of the Steam Controller lives on in this. I love that thing.

Linux! If nothing else, I hope this is successful to push Linux development and Proton further. Speaking of which, when did Valve switch from Debian to Arch as their underlying distro for SteamOS? I actually made that switch myself a year or two ago.

I'll probably get one.

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
I looked first the technical specs, and so on on the official page, and thought hell no. other handheld such as OneXplayer is better in all aspect. But then looking further on on IGN's coverage, this Steam Deck isn't half shabby at all. It doesn't have an OLED screen as the upcoming Switch 2.0, or as large screen as the OneXplayer. But I like the control layout on it. Moreover Steam has co-operated with AMD, so they have some official support too. And price is fairly okay I must say.

Much tempted to pre-order one tomorrow :pleasedblob:

Phawx

Not-tradamus
Sep 6, 2018
Oh hi Phawx.
This just utterly killed all handheld PC companies didn't it?
I have had conversations with GPD where they've honestly told me point blank if a big company got in the space that they would pivot to something else.

I'm not that familiar with eMMC, how much of an issue is it?
eMMC NAND is quite similar to what is on the Switch. Speeds are similar to the best uSD available. My own personal experience with eMMC nand hasn't been the best in terms of longevity.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
The form factor is honestly the main thing that's keeping my interest in check. It's a real WideBoy. Other than that, pretty damn cool and capable, it seems.

I wonder how the three models stack up. Just how much more value are you getting for the extra $250? Quite the difference in price.

Last edited:

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
The form factor is honestly the main thing that's keeping my interest in check. It's a real WideBoy. Other than that, pretty damn cool and capable, it seems.

I wonder how the three models stack up. Just how much more value are you getting for the extra $250? Quite the difference in price.
Same spec but the storage size is different right? So probably going with the midrange price is best since you can just buy sd card if you need more storage.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Same spec but the storage size is different right? So probably going with the midrange price is best since you can just buy sd card if you need more storage.
Size but also speed evidently? The mid range does seem like the sweet spot.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
After 5 years of service, I can finally retire the aging Steam Link in my bedroom.

I'll get the 512GB version + dock, but let's see about that pricing.

[UWSL]$650 USD = $875[/UWSL] AUD . Since we're still unsure about the pricing of the dock, let's add up $150 AUD to it (= $1025 all up)

After EBGames 50% markup and another $10 for shipping (1025 + 512.5 + 10), the grand total will be $1547.5 (let's round it up to $1550)

... It's pretty much the cost of an entry-level gaming desktop PC. :flare_lmao:

Fuck EBGames, seriously.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Anyone knows what type of screen this thing uses?
I hope it's OLED/AMOLED. A device that is more powerful than the Switch OLED with only $50 USD extra? And can play Nintendo games through Yuzu/RetroArch? It's pretty much a no-brainer.

EDIT: Ah well, IPS wasn't the best, but it's serviceable (tm) at least.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Wow, it can connect to external device? And it can run Windows?

In this era of WFH, I can imagine so many possibilities of this thing. Connect to the TV at leasure times, then move it to my work space's monitor when it's time for work. We have plans to move back to the office once or twice per week at some point, and Steam Deck will be useful for that too. This might be my PC replacement that I've been waiting for.

Do we know any details about the official dock? Does it work like the Switch, as in, it improves performance when docked?

• Gib

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I think connected to an external hdd, this would make a fantastic htpc for gaming and streaming, but I can't justify what amount to close to the price I'll be paying for my wifes entire pc on a hand held I would not get much use from
edit: At this point how long until Gabe enters his "Alan Moore/Richard Stallman/'crazy guy with a massive beard who gets into occultism and mysticism' phase?

• Toucan

Xclash

MetaMember
Dec 13, 2018
I said it in the other thread but this is the perfect upgrade for me from the GPD Win Max. I absolutely can't wait to get my reserve in and get my hands on this. Valve knocked it out the park.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Does anyone know anything about that "anti-glare etched glass" thing the 512gb model has? I feel like 256gb is the model for me UNLESS that screen is a big difference in some way but I can't seem to find any real discussion about it

Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Does anyone know anything about that "anti-glare etched glass" thing the 512gb model has? I feel like 256gb is the model for me UNLESS that screen is a big difference in some way but I can't seem to find any real discussion about it
Anti glare is basically for outdoor use.

The biggest factor of the price difference is the other specs, especially the SSD which is bigger and faster. I'm pretty sure there will be some 3rd party anti glare screen protectors for the Deck.

• Love
Reactions: Amzin

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
Wish the price jump from the 64 GB to the 256 GB model wasn't that big. You can get a 256 GB SX8200 Pro for 1/3 of the price increase.

• Sad

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
Wish the price jump from the 64 GB to the 256 GB model wasn't that big. You can get a 256 GB SX8200 Pro for 1/3 of the price increase.
if the storage is not soldered maybe you can buy the 64GB version and mod it?

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Yeah, none of hardware is upgradeable. Valve guy said it's not feasible to do at this size.

• Sad

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
So am I wrong or is this absolutely fantastic?

What are its closest competitors aside from Switch?

I am pretty sure I am going to order the midtier one this evening, assuming steam server don't go up in flames immediately (they will).

The performance seems great, but god damn you can't beat the funtionality of PC. Why the hell would anyone buy Switch now, when this thing will play everything across 40 years of gaming, on PC AND consoles....including WiiU a Switch, most likely.

I am super curious to see how Witcher 3 and Doom Eternal and upcoming Kingdom Come Deliverance will measure on this compared to Switch, that's for sure.

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
So am I wrong or is this absolutely fantastic?

What are its closest competitors aside from Switch?

I am pretty sure I am going to order the midtier one this evening, assuming steam server don't go up in flames immediately (they will).

The performance seems great, but god damn you can't beat the funtionality of PC. Why the hell would anyone buy Switch now, when this thing will play everything across 40 years of gaming, on PC AND consoles....including WiiU a Switch, most likely.

I am super curious to see how Witcher 3 and Doom Eternal and upcoming Kingdom Come Deliverance will measure on this compared to Switch, that's for sure.
You have Aya Neo, and the more recent OneXplayer.
But for the common people maybe it will be easiest to get hold on a Steam Deck?

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
You have Aya Neo, and the more recent OneXplayer.
But for the common people maybe it will be easiest to get hold on a Steam Deck?
Are those comparable in price/performance? I see Aya was on indiegogo only and cannot even be purchased anymore?

It's "just" a PC in a portable form factor.
I know you used quotes so my gripe does not really apply to you, but I will gripe anyway - I am not a fan of this "just a PC" - even Valve guy said it like that in the steamworks video - considering that it being a fullfledged PC is what makes it so damn amazing.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
The biggest factor of the price difference is the other specs, especially the SSD which is bigger and faster. I'm pretty sure there will be some 3rd party anti glare screen protectors for the Deck.
After having slept on it and watched the Gabe Interview, I honestly think the biggest factor in the price difference is that they are selling the 399 model at a loss.
(Which is a wild move since it's not locked down)

Are those comparable in price/performance?
Not even remotely.

All existing handheld PC devices are far more expensive with a far worse GPU. (Never mind input or software support etc.)

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
Are those comparable in price/performance? I see Aya was on indiegogo only and cannot even be purchased anymore?
Same goes with onexplayer, or at least dunno when it will be on sell again. here's what it sold for when it was on indiegogo.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I know you used quotes so my gripe does not really apply to you, but I will gripe anyway - I am not a fan of this "just a PC" - even Valve guy said it like that in the steamworks video - considering that it being a fullfledged PC is what makes it so damn amazing.
I think that's what the "just a PC" line is trying to convey - not downplaying it but rather pointing out how all the cool stuff you can do on your Desktop PC or gaming notebook you can do with the GabeBoy as well, because they're fundamentally "just" the same thing.

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
btw, anyone know whether there are some corresponding software to Cheat Engine for SteamOS? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
btw, anyone know whether there are some corresponding software to Cheat Engine for SteamOS? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
After a quick search I came up with this:

And there's probably other programs as well, so it seems yes.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Would cheatengine run through wine/proton as is? Or are games running through proton sandboxed in a way that cheatengine like software wouldn't be able to hook into it?

Never actually thought about that and have no idea. :thinking-face:

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
In the interview they were saying it would support even the fastest SD cards, but according to specs the slot is UHC-I. That means it would still cap at fairly low speed regardless of what SD card you put in.