|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Not even remotely.

All existing handheld PC devices are far more expensive with a far worse GPU. (Never mind input or software support etc.)
Just out of curiosity I am looking at laptops in similar price range as the 256GB Steam Deck and they mostly have AMD Ryzen 5 5500U which has Vega 7 - I wonder how much faster Steam Deck is going to be compared to this?

Vega 7 can run Cyberpunk in 720p/low at around 20fps - is Steam Deck going to be able to do 800p/medium at stable 30fps? I would assume so.

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
In the interview they were saying it would support even the fastest SD cards, but according to specs the slot is UHC-I. That means it would still cap at fairly low speed regardless of what SD card you put in.
I think it caps at 104 MB/s, which isn't ideal but good enough for basically all games not built exclusively for PS5/XSX (and with those you might have other issues as well).

Reactions: lashman

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
I think it caps at 104 MB/s, which isn't ideal but good enough for basically all games not built exclusively for PS5/XSX (and with those you might have other issues as well).
Yeah, I'm certainly not playing any latest games on that. I was mostly thinking about JRPGs, VNs and Morrowind. I wonder how PCSX2 would run on it. Something like Digital Devil Saga portable would be huge.

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos
Apr 18, 2019
(By they way, this is probably still a better deal for a balanced CPU/GPU PC if you just plug it in and never use the screen/controls than most SFF PCs you can buy)
Yeah, I'm hyped as fuck for this just on its gaming featureset, but this has real mass market crossover appeal.

For starters, I'd give it a week tops before people have a Kodi style torrent streaming media setup that will bitcoin mine for you while you're watching your 0-day movie / tv show releases lol

I'm curious if Valve are going to be able to meet manufacturing demand, given the Switch was pretty much selling everything it could push out for years, and this has a lot more versatility than a switch, being able to encroach on things like Mac Mini territory.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
The placement of the microsd card slot seems a little awkward based on the IGN video I watched. Maybe not final?
It seems like you could knock your body into it or put it down in a way that it pops out (assuming it's got a spring loaded mechanism).

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Just noticed that the d-pad looks exactly like the one on the Xbox One controller I have.
And that started giving me bad inputs after a while... Hope it's not exactly the same.

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
Is shipping included in the price if you buy hardware from Valve? Western shipping costs can be bonkers and I don't want to have 200 PLN shipping cost added to my order out of nowhere.

• Sad

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Is shipping included in the price if you buy hardware from Valve? Western shipping costs can be bonkers and I don't want to have 200 PLN shipping cost added to my order out of nowhere.
they send from the EU

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
they send from the EU
Germany ships from the EU too, yet I paid more than for shipping from Japanese Amazon despite the fact Poland is Germany's neighbor while Japan is on the other side of the world (and the Japanese package made a stop in Germany anyway).

• Sad

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Germany ships from the EU too, yet I paid more than for shipping from Japanese Amazon despite the fact Poland is Germany's neighbor while Japan is on the other side of the world (and the Japanese package made a stop in Germany anyway).
oh, i wasn't aware ... dang :( sorry

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
oh, i wasn't aware ... dang :( sorry
You have nothing to be sorry for, it's not like it's your fault. I'm just amazed how shipping from a neighboring country can be more expensive than from one that's two oceans away. The Japanese package arrived in two days too, which is crazy.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
You have nothing to be sorry for, it's not like it's your fault. I'm just amazed how shipping from a neighboring country can be more expensive than from one that's two oceans away. The Japanese package arrived in two days too, which is crazy.
yeah, that's crazy fast!

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
while at the top level, anti-glare glass is added to the seven-inch LCD display (which peaks at 400 nits brightness).
Awww, dammit. I'm glad i read that. Looks like if i want one i'll have to shell out top dollar. I can't stand reflective screens as once i see my face in the reflection it's all i can focus on and who wants to see that? Bleh!

How bright is 400 nits compared to Switch screen?

• Sad

ScreamingTrees

Dec 12, 2018
They've showed Fallen Order a few times,I wonder how it loads. It always opens the Origin client in Windows so how does it work in Linux? It's been a long time since I've tried running games in Linux so I don't know how well origin works there.

Nzyme

Time to get Fit
Sep 19, 2018
So in a separate IGN video they confirmed Doom Eternal was running at all high settings (one setting at ultra) and from video, it seems to run at 60fps no problem. I imagine the resolution scaling option is in use to ensure stability. Very curious about performance, but itā€™s good to know itā€™s already plenty capable for both near and long term (beyond the most top end games in the future Iā€™d guess)

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
[UWSL][/UWSL]
So in a separate IGN video they confirmed Doom Eternal was running at all high settings (one setting at ultra) and from video, it seems to run at 60fps no problem. I imagine the resolution scaling option is in use to ensure stability. Very curious about performance, but itā€™s good to know itā€™s already plenty capable for both near and long term (beyond the most top end games in the future Iā€™d guess)
So much for ā€œSwitch will run games better despite the power gap because theyā€™re optimized for it.ā€ Last I checked it was sub-native there and a shaky 30 fps target šŸ˜…

• Toucan

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
So much for ā€œSwitch will run games better despite the power gap because theyā€™re optimized for it.ā€ Last I checked it was sub-native there and a shaky 30 fps target šŸ˜…
It also ran at super low settings. Lower than normally possible on PC iirc.

EDIT: Ready and waiting.

Last edited:

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Anti glare is basically for outdoor use.

The biggest factor of the price difference is the other specs, especially the SSD which is bigger and faster. I'm pretty sure there will be some 3rd party anti glare screen protectors for the Deck.
Thanks for the info, that makes sense.

It actually doesn't help me decide which I want to go for, though. All things being equal I'd just go for the top one I guess, I definitely don't want the 64gb one and it would be nice to not have the reflective screen, but it's ~$130 for some minor QoL on that and more storage space than I'd arguably need since I do have a good PC to remote play big stuff from anyway.

The actual biggest consideration for me between mid and top tier is - which am I more likely to be able to get sooner? :face-with-cold-sweat:

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
Got my 512GB order in after 12 minutes of refresh, crash, enter password, hang, crash, reload, enter password, etc.

Little nerve-wracking, but confirmation email came through so I'm happy!

• Comfy

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I still havenā€™t been able to get a reservation. Kept getting errors and had to reload the page, and now itā€™s telling me Iā€™ve made too many purchase attempts.

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
You guys are lucky, I've been going for half an hour now and got locked out for trying too many purchases. Dissapointment is rising :(
I powered through the too many purchases. Clicked continue so many times it eventually let me through. I'm now facing the "Working..." raid boss for the second time though.

• Hug
Reactions: lashman and NeilH

NeilH

Jul 16, 2021
I powered through the too many purchases. Clicked continue so many times it eventually let me through. I'm now facing the "Working..." raid boss for the second time though.
Yeah, it seems to have a cooldown of one or two minutes. Still can't get past to the review and buy phase. I'm a warrior, I'll keep going. maybe we can conquer the raid boss together :)

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
for what it's worth - i'm 95% sure you get queued when you add it to your cart ... so as long as it's in there - you can pay even tomorrow and still be in the queue

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
for what it's worth - i'm 95% sure you get queued when you add it to your cart ... so as long as it's in there - you can pay even tomorrow and still be in the queue
Yeah, I've got mine in a cart and it's staying there until I can get an order in. Got it in within a minute or two, so hopefully I'll be able to get one in the next decade.

• Comfy

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Anyone have any idea how long the "too many purchases" error locks you out from buying for?

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Finally got through on the 512GB model. I'm sure it's on a queue because as soon as I got past the first gate I got through everything else no problem. So happy right now, Don't care if I have to wait till next summer
congrats! :)

Anyone have any idea how long the "too many purchases" error locks you out from buying for?
10 minutes, apparently

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
congrats! :)

10 minutes, apparently
I tried after 20 and still got the error. I guess I'm well and truly boned. šŸ™ˆ
Results seem to vary, for me it was 2-3 minutes,I've read people who powered through and I've read people say an hour.
I've been about 30 minutes now. I'm daring not to try for at least another 25 minutes. That'd be about an hour since I last tried.

• Sad
Reactions: NeilH and lashman

NeilH

Jul 16, 2021
Eurozone has estimated delivery of Q1 2022 for 256 and 512gb models. 64 gb doesn't have an estimation under it. Sold out perhaps ?

Last edited: