|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I clicked to order 5 seconds after it went live. It took me 41 minutes of clicking to actually make the purchase go through. A bit annoying and I hope I will be in the first wave (probably not).

I am excited about this kit.

Reactions: lashman

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Still not 100% sure I'll really buy it but since this is a refundable reservation and I have time to think about and check stats, performance, etc till the end of the year I decided to at least reserve the thing.

Reactions: LEANIJA

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
I don't see expected date at all. Is that good or bad?
I just went to the page, and on mine it says "Your expected order availability : Q1 2022"
So in your case it doesn't sound so good, but then first batch usually has some growing pains perhaps ;)

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
With the announcement of the Steam Deck, there are some major concerns that are brought up constantly by Users and the Press.

I want to tackle two of these:
1. "This handheld can't play the most recent AAA Games"
2. "Steam OS is Linux-based most of these games won't run on it."

For the first argument: Unless Steam Deck completely crushes all expectations and digs into the hardcore AAA userbase (questionable, because it is a handheld), it probably caters to the Nintendo and, of course, the current Steam userbase. Nintendo's flagship is the Switch and any game that a Nintendo user is happy with, will be playable on the Deck.
And then there are the current Steam users.
2021 is half-over and only 7 games from this year are in the Top 100 and NONE can be classified as "AAA", only 3 from those 7 as "AA" Rest 4 are Indie.
The 1- to 3-year-old games take a third of the top 100 with 35 games releasing in the last 3 years
The 4- to 10-year bracket is the biggest with over half of the games in it (53)
And lastly, we have 5 Games that are older than 10 years.
I think for most Steam users and the potential Nintendo userbase, the graphical power of the Deck will be fine.

For the second argument:

36 Games in the Top 100 have native Linux Support
42 games are "mostly fine" with Proton (possible fiddling involved)
12 games are blocked because of the Anticheat system they are using. Valve already stated that they try to work with these Games/Developers/Anticheat developers to make it possible to play the game with Proton.
2 are unknown (not enough proton user feedbacks)
and 2 are incompatible with Proton.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
How well will Switch/WiiU emulated games work on SteamDeck?
Switch - not sure (maybe Phawx can answer that) ... but WiiU should be full speed for the vast majority of games (although you might have to install windows for that one, i don't think cemu has a linux version)

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
How well will Switch/WiiU emulated games work on SteamDeck?
I suppose no problem. Here's a video of OneXplayer running the Yuzu Switch emulator

And Steam Deck has better GPU than the OneXplayer. :pleasedblob:

• Comfy

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
So the preorder was a bit of a shitshow for me.

I was there on the second, it failed for 15 minutes, then I got a timeout on my account for too many (failed) purchasing attempts.

Luckily I got a friend to reserve one for me at ~:30, but I only got my own in on my account almost 2 hours after the preorders opened, and now it's expected in Q1.

Not particularly ideal.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

I was there on the second, it failed for 15 minutes, then I got a timeout on my account for too many (failed) purchasing attempts.

Luckily I got a friend to reserve one for me at ~:30, but I only got my own in on my account almost 2 hours after the preorders opened, and now it's expected in Q1.

Not particularly ideal.
you can always apply for a devkit ;)

• Gib
Reactions: Ge0force

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019

Not particularly ideal.
Same here, there on the second, but for me it was failing for 41 minutes until it went through. Now says Q1 2022.

I expected Steam to get hammered but really hoped they enhanced their server capacity accordingly. But the failing was when trying to process payment - maybe that part is out of Valve's hands? I dunno.
I suppose no problem. Here's a video of OneXplayer running the Yuzu Switch emulator
Looks good!

NeilH

Jul 16, 2021
I have a Massive Steam library of over 1600 titles. If half of those are decently playable I'll be happy. Looking forward to playing games like Just Cause 2, Dead space and more games from that time period. Might finally tackle the backlog of older games I don't really want to play on the bigscreen. Wonder if it can run Max Payne 3 :unsure:

• Gib

Shantom

Mar 17, 2021
For the second argument:

36 Games in the Top 100 have native Linux Support
42 games are "mostly fine" with Proton (possible fiddling involved)
12 games are blocked because of the Anticheat system they are using. Valve already stated that they try to work with these Games/Developers/Anticheat developers to make it possible to play the game with Proton.
2 are unknown (not enough proton user feedbacks)
and 2 are incompatible with Proton.
Great work this, one tiny correction, Rocket League's native Linux version is no longer supported for online play so is basically useless, but it works well through Proton apparently instead.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman and Kyougar

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I find it somewhat amusing that a lot of the excitement that I'm seeing for this is simply Oooh, imagine playing this game on a portable. The status quo of the portable space has been so dominated by consoles that the idea of not having to ask for ports and not having to buy games specifically for the hardware is such a novelty. You can just play all your games on it -- it's a PC.

And to be fair, I'm excited about the same thing, because this is exactly how the gaming experience should work. You buy a game, and you should be able to play it anywhere and however you wish.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I find it somewhat amusing that a lot of the excitement that I'm seeing for this is simply Oooh, imagine playing this game on a portable. The status quo of the portable space has been so dominated by consoles that the idea of not having to ask for ports and not having to buy games specifically for the hardware is such a novelty. You can just play all your games on it -- it's a PC.

And to be fair, I'm excited about the same thing, because this is exactly how the gaming experience should work. You buy a game, and you should be able to play it anywhere and however you wish.
and then you can do SO MUCH more on that thing as well

Shantom

Mar 17, 2021

Yeah, having 'Cross-buy' for literally everything has always been a pipe dream. Now it's happening with our largest existing library.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Has anyone here seen their expected status be Q4 2021? So far all I'm seeing from meta is Q1 2022 so I wonder if that's what the grouping of the first waves are, some might ship earlier but some will ship during.

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
Has anyone here seen their expected status be Q4 2021? So far all I'm seeing from meta is Q1 2022 so I wonder if that's what the grouping of the first waves are, some might ship earlier but some will ship during.
I think I read someone got expected date Q2 2022 here in meta.

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
I think I read someone got expected date Q2 2022 here in meta.
That's what it shows on the SKUs for me I didn't reserve, too. I reserved the 512GB and it shows Q1 2022, and the other two now show Q2 2022 (presumably if I wanted to cancel and switch?). Was just wondering what the earliest anyone has seen is, it feels like Q1 2022 is Valve hedging a bit and might be the earliest date they are giving anyone

NeilH

Jul 16, 2021
I haven't read anywhere mentioned that somebody has Q4 2021. Have read that #30 in the UK has Q1 2022. I guess everybody who has a Q1 2022 date is in the first batch

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
That's what it shows on the SKUs for me I didn't reserve, too. I reserved the 512GB and it shows Q1 2022, and the other two now show Q2 2022 (presumably if I wanted to cancel and switch?). Was just wondering what the earliest anyone has seen is, it feels like Q1 2022 is Valve hedging a bit and might be the earliest date they are giving anyone
At least one here in meta didn't have the expectancy date written below. I'm wondering whether it means he/she will get it dec 2021 then. But yea, most people got Q1 2022 I think.

Quite impressive if it means that the worldwide silicon supply has improved :unsure:

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
Considering they suggested they wanted to start shipping in December I'm hoping that means a bunch of that first wave will be in fact December, and maybe earlier part of Q1 2022, rather than like March. Cause really I'd love to have it just right now :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
It‘s been a while since I was excited for new hardware as I am for Steam Deck. While obviously the Switch was the trailblazer in this new handheld form factor, Valve are really bringing it on my terms. Honestly, I’m tempted to sell my Switch I’m that enamoured with this device.

A month ago I was ready to open my wallet for a Switch Pro. Now Nintendo would need to truly blow me away to make me even consider one.