|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 19, 2018
Ibis Island
God, I need one soon. Was playing Deltarune with my Steam Controller and it was a nice nostalgic experience (The first time I played Undertale was with the same controller).

valve seems to knock it out of the park with when it comes to comfort and all the impressions so far sound like this'll be the perfect portable companion.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
The VN market has been growing in the west recently but VNs on portable devices have been/are a HUGE market. The Vita was helped greatly by getting a lot of VNs and niche games and i can see the SteamDeck being many people's VN Machine for sure. The portability helps as you can just open the game quickly, read it on the bus, some have games in them but there's usually minimal controller input required and the small, more personal screen means you can get caught up on the activities of your favorite Catboys in relative privacy compared to a big monitor.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Seems like the lower idle CPU frequencies are the most important news here, as it will increase the battery life of a handheld device significantly without any loss in real performance.

In a gaming test, AMD showed off a quick demo of Horizon Zero Dawn running on a Ryzen 7 Pro 5750G, locked to 60FPS, to demonstrate the enhancements made to AMD's new P-state driver. The test shows that the new AMD P-state driver, reduces the clock speed of idle cores significantly, to just 400mhz. Meanwhile, all the idle cores running on the older ACPI driver are only going down to just 3.8GHz.

Reactions: Pommes

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I have requested one, we just haven't gotten one
As in, it hasn't arrived yet, or you weren't picked? How does that work anyway?

I wonder how many of these devkits Valve sent out/plans to send out. Few thousand? I was surprised to see even guy like Dylan Fitterer, who to my knowledge hasn't released anything in half a decade already got one.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Seems like the lower idle CPU frequencies are the most important news here, as it will increase the battery life of a handheld device significantly without any loss in real performance.
We need to go lower, Vita downclocks, to what, 1 MHz?

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
This isn't news at this point, Valve confirmed they will add such an API long ago.
It's not about the news, it's about already implemented.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Ok, this is cool, nothing too new but cool nonetheless.

Last edited:
Reactions: LEANIJA

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
I'm really curious to see how Proton will handle "real world" scenarios with a less hardcore crowd once the Deck is out. It the big question mark because Valve appears to have nailed everything else.

But so far everything I'm reading is getting me optimistic, even with the expected hiccups.

Which is why I guess it's a good thing that they don't sell it on my Country. I don't really need one and it would be really expensive over here... but I probably would buy it anyway...

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
This should give you some idea about potential compatibility issues, quite a number of their games doesn't work in Proton:
Steam Deck Compatibility Testing
Yeah, this is where I wonder now what Valve is planning on doing with these sort of cases, will they help get them to run or will they leave it up to the developers? I am hoping they are sending out dev kits to get feedback on compatibility issues and solve them, but time will tell I suppose.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Yeah, this is where I wonder now what Valve is planning on doing with these sort of cases, will they help get them to run or will they leave it up to the developers? I am hoping they are sending out dev kits to get feedback on compatibility issues and solve them, but time will tell I suppose.
That might actually be a focus with who they are shipping the Steam Deck dev kits to, to also cover developers of games they know are not yet compatible with Proton to work with them to either improve Proton, or understand what the developers might need to do to more easily be compatible with Proton.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Looks like Bloody Spell developers got a dev kit too and they recorded a 10 minute video not only showing the game but also a bit of the UI (Spoiler: it is the same we already saw hehe) as I don't know about Windows optimization I don't know if those dips are due Linux or the hardware, HOWEVER, I think it's running quite well if we keep in mind that visually it looks a bit demanding.
(Video inside Reddit thread, no embed, sorry)

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
I wish Valve could hide this part of game loading because it doesn't look too elegant and instead just show game art until the game is loaded.

Reactions: Alexandros

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
I wish Valve could hide this part of game loading because it doesn't look too elegant and instead just show game art until the game is loaded.
I think System will keep improving visually the more it advances, I don't mind the loading screen (most likely proton layer) but yeah, looks less elegant.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Project Zomboid developers!

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
Reactions: Mor

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
New Steam Beta Client Update seems Deck oriented

• Fix bug causing slow reconnect to Steam after resuming from a system suspend

Remote Play
  • Automatically install the audio drivers on Windows when streaming starts if needed, pass -skipstreamingdrivers on the command line to disable them
  • Fixed using multiple PS5 controllers connected via the Steam Link app
  • Enabled pipewire desktop capture by default on Linux, pass -nopipewire on the command line to disable it
  • Fixed Linux games seeing multiple controllers when Steam controller configuration support is enabled
  • Fixed Linux clients not getting any controller input once streaming starts

Steam Cloud
  • Ensure that all installed and Cloud-enabled games are synchronized as soon as possible, to avoid delays when launching games and to prepare for possible offline play.

Reactions: C-Dub and Mor

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
Craftopia developers got a kit too (thanks for heads-up PC-tan) and they uploaded 2 videos for Craftopia and Overdungeon.
I'm tired of Twitter video player. Is there any way to force it to play HD quality from the very beginning? I have a fiber connection and yet Twitter thinks it's not enough to play 30 second video in anything better than 360p.

• This!
Reactions: Stevey

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
These are all very cool and they show that most devs are very excited for the device but I still want something more meaty in terms of coverage. Hopefully it won't be long before PC tech channels or someone like Digital Foundry get the chance to really put Steam Deck through its paces.

Reactions: LEANIJA

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
These are all very cool and they show that most devs are very excited for the device but I still want something more meaty in terms of coverage. Hopefully it won't be long before PC tech channels or someone like Digital Foundry get the chance to really put Steam Deck through its paces.
Media isn't getting kits yet, only devs under certain requirements.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Media isn't getting kits yet, only devs under certain requirements.
That we know of, at least. It's possible that some outlets have received kits and are testing them ahead of a future embargo lift. Or maybe it's just my wishful thinking because I want more coverage :D

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
That we know of, at least. It's possible that some outlets have received kits and are testing them ahead of a future embargo lift. Or maybe it's just my wishful thinking because I want more coverage :D
I'm guessing people like LTT will get it closer to the release as review units, however, we don't really know if this will be the case as the NDA is very specific about only showing their published content and I don't think media will get units until both EAC and BattleEye so they don't face errors that final users won't face.

Cyan Inc playing Riven and Myst

Last edited: