|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Is that an ingame cutscene? The black bars seem a bit bigger than I would expect if it was just a 720p image being rendered on the 800p screen.
Yes, If I'm not mistaken that's an in-game cutscene, don't know if the game adds black bars to the game at that resolution.

Gintaro

MetaMember
Feb 20, 2021
Malaysia
Wait I thought they are not supposed to show other developers games?

Edit : Oh wow, seems like they don't care about the restrictions at all. They also showed the SteamOS UI and desktop view

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
I hope someone translates it, because it looks like an interesting read.

Also, I may be wrong, but I think I have noticed a small difference in UI compared to the last time we have seen it ( when the press was invited to Valves headquarters). In quick settings, the tabs are vertical on the side compared to being horizontal on the bottom of the screen. That's probably why Valve doesn't want devs to show the UI, because it's still not final.

EDIT.2
You can get the gist of it with google translate, the most interesting stuff is about performance and battery life. From the Steam Deck subreddit:
Beat me to it!

Last edited:

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I hope someone translates it, because it looks like an interesting read.
You can get the gist of it with google translate, the most interesting stuff is about performance and battery life. From the Steam Deck subreddit:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Preset high graphics settings :Average 36fps

After lowering some graphics settings , Stable 60 fps

DOOM ( Sorry, I’m not a fan of the Doom series, I don’t know which one it is.You can click the website below to have a look )

In advanced mode, set the game quality to medium: 60 frames up and down

After the picture quality has been improved a bit, the frame rate of the game has also dropped to 46 frames

Cyberpunk 2077

Set graphics quality to high: The number of frames fluctuates from 20 to 30 frames

After about three hours of playing, the power of SteamDeck dropped from 100% to 46%.The temperature on the back of the back is around 42.6°C, while the temperature at the grip is around 29°C

DOTA2 (okay...)

The frame number of "DOTA2" in the highest image quality is about 47 frames
The number of game frames in low image quality can reach about 80 frames

In the course of the game experience, only "Cyberpunk 2077" crashed halfway once, and it was very stable in other games.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
That battery life is wrong lol

as madjoki pointed with a pic, it says "00:58 minutes remaining" so time should be around 2-3 hours with Cyberpunk 2077 (which is still impressive)

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
2-3 hours on a game like Cyberpunk 2077 will do. If it's a short-ish journey my external battery will be able to double my playtime. If it's a very long journey the train/coach will be equipped with a means to charge it directly.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Thanks. So how did you calculate 2-3 hours for Cyberpunk? I read a google translate version of the page but I don't trust the translation very much.
Simple math:

if 46% is 58 minutes, then 100% is about 120min.

Which means site was unlikely playing only Cyberpunk for 3h and 54% of battery which would suggest 6h battery life with Cyberpunk. (which sounds ridiculously high)

Reactions: Mor

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Simple math:

if 46% is 58 minutes, then 100% is about 120min.

Which means site was unlikely playing only Cyberpunk for 3h and 54% of battery which would suggest 6h battery life with Cyberpunk. (which sounds ridiculously high)
Very true but it is possible that different settings give different results.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I love how google translate tells me that they call Gabe Newell "G Fat"

Also, Cyberpunk might do stable 30fps on medium which is ace.

"I have to say that the experience of using the handle to play "DOTA2" is still very bad, but G Fat said in a previous interview with IGN that he has been using "DOTA2" as a standard to measure the level of Steam Deck hardware. "

• Toucan
Reactions: Wok

undu

Mar 17, 2019
I expect most orders to move up as people decide if they really want a Steam Deck or not. There will likely be a lot of cancellations come December.
I also expect quite a few people cancelling once they discover that it doesn't have a 100% compatibility rate, or other issues that will be made more evident on release reviews or friends' opinions.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Carto and more Eastward
Hope for Carto they can add proper 800p support. I guess with eastward that's not really in the cards as it's a 2D pixelgraphic game designed for 720p.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Wait I thought they are not supposed to show other developers games?

Edit : Oh wow, seems like they don't care about the restrictions at all. They also showed the SteamOS UI and desktop view
What would happen anyway? What can Valve do now? Ask the SteamDeck back from them?

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
What would happen anyway? What can Valve do now? Ask the SteamDeck back from them?
If Valve were assholes, they could just see as a breach of contract and stop doing any business with them. Given the way NDAs are written, I assume.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Hope for Carto they can add proper 800p support. I guess with eastward that's not really in the cards as it's a 2D pixelgraphic game designed for 720p.
Fingers crossed :)

Phawx

Not-tradamus
Sep 6, 2018
Kind of just wanted to pat myself on the back. So I thought I'd collect all the videos I had done previously and comment on them.

July 15th I said Steam Deck would be 1.7x performant over Renoir and Tigerlake at the Same TDP:

Here is an image. On the top is the AYA Neo running "linux" with a stack very close to Steam Deck. And on the bottom the Steam Deck from the leak.

both benches are High preset

AYA Neo is at 17w = 23FPS
Steam Deck is 15w = 36 FPS

If we adjust for the wattage difference, I'm right on the money.

July 27th, I speculated that Steam Deck would actually be using MIPI Portrait based display

That was confirmed on September 16th - Linux 5.16 To Add Quirk For The Steam Deck, Other DRM-Misc-Next Changes - Phoronix

On August 16th I found some info about potential power use on RDNA2 and because I have Zen2, I could calculate total max TDP

Okay this was actually talked about in February of 2021, but I confirmed the Max TDP with actual math - AMD VanGogh APU では PPT もドライバーから調節可能に | Coelacanth's Dream

And then my fourth statement (which hasn't been confirmed yet) actual battery life. I still contend I'm correct here. But I would love to be proven wrong.

All this to say that I've said a lot about the Steam Deck and a lot of it was good info I cast out long before it was confirmed and I'm glad to have been proven correct.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
And then my fourth statement (which hasn't been confirmed yet) actual battery life. I still contend I'm correct here. But I would love to be proven wrong.
I'm not sure why you assume "max brightness" throughout this calculation. I don't think it's reasonable to compute top-end battery life with maximum brightness.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Nina Aquila developers, this is interesting as it doesn't seem to be (to my knowledge) a very known game or dev so that means that Valve is sending kits to a very wide variety of developers, which is good.

Reactions: Pommes

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
It is nice to see developers share these, but to be honest...showcasing some 2D games that look like they could run on a gameboy doesn't really pique my interest too much. It's like, yeah no shit it runs flawlessly, come on.

• Toucan
Reactions: Wok and LEANIJA

Phawx

Not-tradamus
Sep 6, 2018
I'm not sure why you assume "max brightness" throughout this calculation. I don't think it's reasonable to compute top-end battery life with maximum brightness.

It's just worst case scenario. (and I also seldom use lowest brightness) Also fwiw, least brightness to max brightness is going to be around ~1-2 watt. This would still only net ~6 hours at least brightness possible using 4w TDP. Like 7 hours if we really hope it's uber efficient.

Also can't wait to see your impressions on the Steam Deck !

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
More Anti-Cheat support day 1, this time Xigncode 3, which is used in games such us DJMax

Magnamalo

Bearded sora
May 9, 2021
Interested to see battery comparisons to Switch in same games with same graphics settings

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Rogue Legacy 2 developer kit.

Interested to see battery comparisons to Switch in same games with same graphics settings
Yeah, this will be interesting to check once it's out and I'm sure people will do because social media love to fight for a plastic and metal box. haha
(but seriously, it will be interesting)

Phawx

Not-tradamus
Sep 6, 2018
This is an overall hard question to ask.

First creating reasonable like-for-like Switch settings to PC will be difficult. And even when you do that, artificially pushing that setting there really isn't going to be a huge net benefit from capping to 30fps from 60fps..

Basically what I'm saying here is that the Switch's minimum workable TDP is far lower than what Van Gogh will be. I.E. forcing the Steam Deck to only accept 1 or 2 watt would most likely be an absolute slideshow, which isn't an actual fair comparison. We'd just be choking the system too much for it to be able to do work.

Instead it might be a better showcase to target "total battery life" instead. I.E. If Switch can play Witcher 3 at it's settings and 30fps for ~3hours, what is the quality of Witcher 3 in the same ~3hour battery life window.

And when you frame it in that comparison, the Image Quality and frame rate will be so vastly improved at the same total battery life that it would be night and day difference.

Basically I don't think it's fair to compare how much a small economy car sips on gasoline versus a Ferrari when you have them both going 30 mph.

Especially because the gas tank (battery capacity) on the switch is less than half the size of that on the Steam Deck.

Bottom line is, you will easily be able to eclipse Switch performance and battery life on the Deck. Putting Switch settings on the Steam Deck is not going to dramatically increase battery performance over standard low settings and hitting 60fps.

Valve says it's 8 hours, I don't personally believe that will be the case in reality. 6 hours I think will be something that can approach reality when trying to strive for battery life.